Credit Card Recommendations for Traveling Overseas (1 Viewer)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Which credit cards or prepaid ones do you use when travelling abroad

OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Has anyone used the currensea card which is linked to your UK bank a/c so avoiding exchange rates etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Mainly Chase (debit card for 1% cashback), but in the past have used Barclaycard rewards, Monzo, Halifax Clarity, Santander Zero. All good cards for abroad use i.e. good exchange rates and no fees.

Reactions: Joc
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I just use the same credit and debit cards as in the UK. We like to know what we are spending on, so for example Tesco credit card for food, a Capital One for fuel. All paid in full by DD so not bothered what the interest rates are.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I just use the same credit and debit cards as in the UK. We like to know what we are spending on, so for example Tesco credit card for food, a Capital One for fuel. All paid in full by DD so not bothered what the interest rates are.
It's not the interest rate it's the exchange rate that is the problem. Tesco exchange rate is lousy.
You can keep track of what you are spending on the banking apps on your phone. If you pay using your phone you can see the transaction in seconds most of the time.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Has anyone used the currensea card which is linked to your UK bank a/c so avoiding exchange rates etc.
I think Sheddy tried it but not sure?

I know I looked at it when it started but it sounded a bit of a palaver and as I already had Revolut, Starling, Monzo and Santander Zero I gave it a miss. Santander Zero isn’t available to new customers though.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I'm really trying to remember the name of the Bank in Spain
that DOESN'T charge an arm and leg in commision when removing money from their machines.

It isn't a charge by YOUR Bank. That isn't where the charge is. It's the Bank you are using in Spain
that clobbers you.

Edit.
I've been on Google Maps and ascertained that, the last time I withdrew money from this Bank, I wasn't charged commission by them.
WARNING. Things may have changed.

The Bank was Unicaja.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I'm really trying to remember the name of the Bank in Spain
that DOESN'T charge an arm and leg in commision when removing money from their machines.

It isn't a charge by YOUR Bank. That isn't where the charge is. It's the Bank you are using in Spain
that clobbers you.
Caixa wanted 7€ for 100€ cash. The site ATM was €3.25.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I think Sheddy tried it but not sure?

I know I looked at it when it started but it sounded a bit of a palaver and as I already had Revolut, Starling, Monzo and Santander Zero I gave it a miss. Santander Zero isn’t available to new customers though.
Looked at it, but stayed with my Revolut & Starling. (y)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Revolut, only card I have now.
I like that you can go back on a previous transaction and it will show in Maps where you used it and will show the way back, has come in handy to find a shop or restaurant we want to return.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Been using a Clarity Credit card abroad for years and added a Chase debit card to my wallet last year too. (y)

Pete

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We prefer to use our Nationwide CC for purchases, and our Metro DC for cash withdrawals, both fee free, with the Nationwide Flexplus on standby for emergencies, again fee free.

We find Kutxabank ATMs, and Telebanco ATMs from BancoMarch, to be fee free.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
We use our Cumberland BS debit cards abroad and do all our personal banking with them. Fee and commission free, but accounts only available for folk living in Cumbria and D&G (as far as I am aware).
It does mean I don't have to remember to load up another card but I do need to remember to tell them the dates we are going abroad.
Suits us.
Sue

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
We both have Revolut cards for food and general spending and usually keep just a couple of hundred € in it as balance before topping up. Mine is also linked to the Fulli account for payment of any monthly toll invoices. Also have a Halifax Clarity card for payment of any fuel as I just like to keep that separate - plus any emergency spending.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Have used Revolut for the past 7 years (y)
should have said, I also have my bank debit card as a back-up .. for the rare occasion when the Revolut doesn't work.. which can happen with any card ..

and a credit card for emergencies..

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
Revolut and HSBC Global Money card works WW for us.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
It’s been a while since we were in France but I can remember some filling stations took my debit card and others took only credit cards. An unmanned 24 hr filing station wouldn’t accept either.
If we were abroad more often I would in to a different card but for the occasional trip we manage as we are.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
We use Nationwide Members card and Halifax Clarity.

We have found though that the Nationwide Members card isn't always accepted at the automated Supermarket fuel outlets. Once raised it with them but no body could explain why.

Apr 14, 2018
Gillingham, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i482
Exp
20 years
Which credit cards or prepaid ones do you use when travelling abroad
We've used Wise since they were Transferwise and their free currency card has been great. Rates are always good.

Smart for larger transactions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back