Converting grey water tank for pressure washer (1 Viewer)

Bstreet22

Free Member
Mar 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Zefiro
Hi all,

First time posting and would really appreciate some help with some modifications I'm making to my Roller Team Zefiro, to allow me to use the grey water tank as a tank for pressure washing my motorbike. Basically with a friend I worked out a way to do this by installing a 3-way valve before the water from the shower, sink etc goes into the tank, which allows me to divert waste water to the floor instead of entering the tank (there are no rules about grey water going on the ground where I will be). So with the valve diverting to the floor I can use the tank for my pressure washer, after backfilling via the tap in the (bad) drawing. Then, if I turn the valve the other way, the water simply goes to the tank as usual for when I'm on campsites.

To do this I had to combine all the various drain pipes from the 2 shower drains, kitchen sink and bathroom sink into 1 pipe. I did this using the T's in the drawing. As standard the pipes for each drain went into individual entry points on the tank. Now I am only using one entry point and bunged the other 3 up.

These system seems to be great and I was really pleased, except the water is not draining away quick enough, resulting in overflowing shower tray etc. What could be causing this? I am using the same 25mm pond pipe that was on the motorhome, although the T's reduce the diameter to 19mm of course.

Is it the length of the pipe I have added? The reduced diameter at the connections?
The fact that all are combined into one?
All of the avove?

I tried removing the valve and letting the water drain straight out the pipe onto the floor to check of the valve was a problem, but the issue still remained.

Thanks for any help!
Ben

20240312_133406.jpg

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I suppose it depends on what you put into your grey waste. Anything particulate (like hairs/food/grit) will block your nozzle on the jet washer pretty quickly

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I’m reading as he is going to put clean water into waste tank (to use in pressure washer) and wanting to allow his grey (from all the separate items) onto the ground. And it’s that bit that isn’t working.

I may well be wrong.

OP
OP
Bstreet22

Bstreet22

Free Member
Mar 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Zefiro
I’m reading as he is going to put clean water into waste tank (to use in pressure washer) and wanting to allow his grey (from all the separate items) onto the ground. And it’s that bit that isn’t working.

I may well be wrong.
That's exactly right. And it's not draining fast enough when I'm testing it with plain water. Whether I let it drain on the floor or go into the tank, the flow isn't enough to stop the sinks in the motorhome filling up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Possibly the air from the tank being displaced by the incoming water can no longer escape via one of the other inlets so causing the backup?

OP
OP
Bstreet22

Bstreet22

Free Member
Mar 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Zefiro
Possibly the air from the tank being displaced by the incoming water can no longer escape via one of the other inlets so causing the backup?
I should have added that the tank has a breather hose.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
That's exactly right. And it's not draining fast enough when I'm testing it with plain water. Whether I let it drain on the floor or go into the tank, the flow isn't enough to stop the sinks in the motorhome filling up.
We are all confused. Is the purpose for washing your motorbike, in which case why not use the drain from your clean water tank.

Or is the question why aren't my sinks draining into my grey water tank?

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Yes that's right. I need to fill up the grey tank before travelling.
I see

You would have to clean your grey water tank out every time as it will have residual stuff in it...or get a filter

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How old are the pipes , are they partially blocked.

OP
OP
Bstreet22

Bstreet22

Free Member
Mar 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Zefiro
We are all confused. Is the purpose for washing your motorbike, in which case why not use the drain from your clean water tank.

Or is the question why aren't my sinks draining into my grey water tank?
Because I need the fresh water in the fresh water tank in order to live in the motorhome, but the grey tank is not necessary where I will be because grey water can just empty on the ground. So I am trying to add the option to use the grey tank as a pressure washer tank.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Because I need the fresh water in the fresh water tank in order to live in the motorhome, but the grey tank is not necessary where I will be because grey water can just empty on the ground. So I am trying to add the option to use the grey tank as a pressure washer tank.
Wouldn't a five gallon drum under the seats be just as good.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
You need a big breather on the tank for displacement and by combining all the inlets you are inducing an air lock or blockage. As it is, the internal bore of the drain pipes is always less than ideal without adding unnecessary extra joins and restrictions.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Another T with a open end higher than any of the outlets will act as pressure relief and vent, so careful location is needed. A dirgo type of valve will allow air into the system to aid faster clearance, but won't allow bad smells to vent to the outside.
Mike.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would suggest all the pipes from sinks etc need to be in the top of the tank, not the bottom
That's what's causing the slow drain.
All pipes except an outlet for the jet wash at the top

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Can you use a watemaster? They hold 38ltrs more then enough to wash a motorcycle.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
I think someone is waiting for a reaction/ argument to dropping waste/ grey water on the floor.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
The water is falling by gravity, If any of the new pipes undulate slightly up and down this will act as a “U bend” which will dramatically reduce flow and can cause air locking. (Cannot tell looking at sketch heights evolved). I have seen someone put a drain in side of grey tank and feed grey waste into pressure washer. (I assume going into the side allows anything gritty to drop to bottom of tank and not into pressure washer.) never seen the guy again to ask how long the washer lasted.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
The water is falling by gravity, If any of the new pipes undulate slightly up and down this will act as a “U bend” which will dramatically reduce flow and can cause air locking. (Cannot tell looking at sketch heights evolved). I have seen someone put a drain in side of grey tank and feed grey waste into pressure washer. (I assume going into the side allows anything gritty to drop to bottom of tank and not into pressure washer.) never seen the guy again to ask how long the washer lasted.
Exactly. Gravity.

Fresh is pumped up with an electric pump so plenty of pressure to force it through the pipes ;

The waste is falling through similar diameter narrow pipes, the only thing that pushes it through is it's own weight. I imagine it is only just enough when working as designed.

Additional pipes, Ts, joints will resist that small amount of pressure and slow it right down.

As said above, better to tap into the tank.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I think someone is waiting for a reaction/ argument to dropping waste/ grey water on the floor.
No he is probably on private land (trail biking) and landowner won’t give a toss about water whatever colour. 🥴

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Looks like OP has hit the post limit, we may never know the outcome!!!
Years ago in a former life we had a wobbly box that had all the waste pipes plumbed together, basically what the OP has done in reverse, it was a pain to get it to drain properly until I split the waste runs.
If you still reading this thread Bstreet22 I would go back to basics and split all the waste pipes and see if any have crud in them that you have dislodged due to moving them. Run water through each straight to the floor, once all run free you can start to assemble the pipe run but test each new section when added. That way you will be able to see when it runs slow and you then make the choice what to do next

PS. Worth paying the subs!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back