Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
Completely new motorhomer
I enjoy birdwatching/nature photography. I guess it would depend where/when, but I would potentially be interested. I am new to motorhoming so not all that sure of campsites near good sites, although found Ferry Meadows already.

I'm hoping there is somewhere near Ham Wall as would be awesome to see the murmurations, but it's too far for a day trip for me, so an overnight camping trip would be ideal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Not for me but I recognise a lovely idea when I see one. It sounds like a winner.
I so wish the lovely Funster 1 man and his dob could see your post. Is anyone in touch with Neil, please?

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Go on we would be up for that Paul, what species can you lay on for us, if you have any great crested newts can we take them home as we have a field out the back of us that we are trying to stop them building on;)
Yes that would stop them building Martin for sure.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I will keep this thread going maybe after Christmas we can arrange something and if it takes off could become a regular occurrence.
All sorts of locations are possible, coastal, nature reserves etc.

I’m County Durham Teesdale but can travel , sites/parking the van etc will need some thought.

Maybe January/February we could arrange something. Any places for the van in good locations for nature/birdwatching that you can recommend?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes that would stop them building Martin for sure.
You would think so but a neighbour has a photo of a GCN on his patio but the planning officer has recommended acceptance, even a pair of otters running around the site at night doesn't seem to have deterred the council, there is a meeting on 10th Nov so wish us luck.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Go on we would be up for that Paul, what species can you lay on for us, if you have any great crested newts can we take them home as we have a field out the back of us that we are trying to stop them building on;)

Can great crested newts be moved?

The Wildlife Trust advise that you don't attempt to move newts or their eggs away from an existing habitat/ pond, by taking them to a different pond you may unwittingly transfer various diseases and invasive plants. Also, many amphibians may try to return and there is a danger that some may suffer as a result of being placed in an unsuitable area.
In effect you would be as culpable as the the developers putting wildlife at risk. So please reconsider taking this action.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I will keep this thread going maybe after Christmas we can arrange something and if it takes off could become a regular occurrence.
All sorts of locations are possible, coastal, nature reserves etc.

I’m County Durham Teesdale but can travel , sites/parking the van etc will need some thought.

Maybe January/February we could arrange something. Any places for the van in good locations for nature/birdwatching that you can recommend?
I saw my first adder in the forest near Whitby a couple of months ago, actually I ran the poor thing over on my mountain bike but when I went back to see if it was OK it reared up before scurrying off into the undergrowth so I guess it was OK.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Can great crested newts be moved?

The Wildlife Trust advise that you don't attempt to move newts or their eggs away from an existing habitat/ pond, by taking them to a different pond you may unwittingly transfer various diseases and invasive plants. Also, many amphibians may try to return and there is a danger that some may suffer as a result of being placed in an unsuitable area.
In effect you would be as culpable as the the developers putting wildlife at risk. So please reconsider taking this action.
Sorry I missed the ;) as desperate as we are to stop the builders I would not do that.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I saw my first adder in the forest near Whitby a couple of months ago, actually I ran the poor thing over on my mountain bike but when I went back to see if it was OK it reared up before scurrying off into the undergrowth so I guess it was OK.
That area could be one venue for a future nature meet Martin.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Marshside reserve at Southport then you could do Martin Mere, Marton Mere and Lytham for the wild ducks, geese and swans, Parking in Lytham St Annes, on the council car parks and waste/water available or Southport fairground or at the reserve if you are able to find a space for free.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Some good ideas here, Farne Islands next Spring/Summer also.

It could also materialise into different meets depending on where you are in the UK.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Depends where & when

May 29, 2017
Ayr,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
virgin
Having now put my glasses on and re-read the post I’ll have to pull out of this one and should never have put it in, in the first place… 😉😎
And then you do the hokey kokey ! ,and you turn around!

that;s what it is all about!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That area could be one venue for a future nature meet Martin.
That's great then as it's only 25 miles for us (y) we stayed on the C&MHC site North Yorkshire Moors site,

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Any other nature lovers, I was wondering if in the future any members would be interested in a birdwatching/nature meet.
Definitely up for it, just getting back into wildlife photography and if the location is near a hostelry even better.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
I would be interested, but it's what, who, where, when etc.
Leighton miss could be good, nr silverdale rspb site, morecambe bay couple of small farm camp sites Close by.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
You would think so but a neighbour has a photo of a GCN on his patio but the planning officer has recommended acceptance, even a pair of otters running around the site at night doesn't seem to have deterred the council, there is a meeting on 10th Nov so wish us luck.
You need Bats Martin!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You need Bats Martin!
Got them but not roosting on-site, got barn owl but again foraging not nesting Otter but the people doing the report didn’t see them, just recently had a little egret visit so hopefully enough along with the flood threat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back