Best Van Route to Eire for Tour? (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Yes it would ,look up the thread I posted earlier ,over from Scotland to Northern Ireland cross the border south ,find a vet to issue an Irish pet passport ,no more AHC for EuropešŸ‘šŸ» return same way ,donā€™t bother with the pet lounge just leave dog in van.
Our wee bichon frise gets really stressed when left in the van even for a few minutes, the breed is well known for it. He howls like a wolf! Like me he's getting on a bit :whistle2: and suffers a few health issues like me:giggler:
_ROM2984.JPG

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
The Blasket centre which is a museum to the islands and islanders forced to evacuated in the early 50's is a fascinating look at Island life in the first half of the 20th century. It's on the Dingle peninsula not far from Ventry. Had a good cafe as well. šŸ˜„

If going that way, Paddy O'Shea's pub is a good night stop. Food excellent, the welcome brilliant and the music fantastic if you like a good craic. Free if you eat if I remember rightly.

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Your mentioning Glencolumkille reminded me of an incident on the road to Silver Strand - west of Glencolumkille - a few years back when I came across a German motorhome who had pulled off the road to let another motorhome pass. He was sunk up to his axles in the soft verge. If you havent enough room to pass don't rush to pull over to the left as the verge is more than likely to be very soft. Enjoy your trip.

Dec 18, 2022
Staffordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 254
Exp
4 years
Hi folks,

What's the best way to get the van to Eire for tour ? Thinking Holyhead Dublin, but is that the most expensive? Should I consider the route via Larne?
We did Holyhead / Dublin last year. All ok. Stayed at Vale of Aherlow nr Tipperary and Doolin on the west coast. Both good sites.

Nov 12, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro675
Exp
Just started
Hi folks,

What's the best way to get the van to Eire for tour ? Thinking Holyhead Dublin, but is that the most expensive? Should I consider the route via Larne?
Depends a bit on where you are starting from in England and going to in Ireland!? In general I would rather do a journey north to south in Ireland than up and down the UK roads. So being based in the south of England and when heading to N.Ire I tended to do Pembroke to Rosslare and then have nice quiet roads and a higher speed limit to drive up Ireland rather than take on the M5/M6.

But depending on time of year the Holyhead to Dublin route ā€œseemsā€ to be a bit less weather sensitive. Last weekend for example in storm Kathleen Pembroke was cancelled but Dublin was still running, maybe partly down to Ulysses being a stabilised newer vessel. Somewhat anecdotal but we have had a few crossings where Pembroke was cancelled by Holyhead wasnā€™t.

Stranraer is a drive that just keeps on giving, I did it once at the back end of Covid, but when heading to Co.Down you travel north of the destination to travel south in N.Ire so is the slowest route for my given start and end point. It is the shortest/quickest crossing of the three if you really dislike time on the ferry.

Aug 14, 2016
N Ireland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Your proposed route has missed some of the best bits. From Sligo follow the wild Atlantic way, WWW, towards Ballina. Then Bellmullet, Achill island and Clifden. The ring of Kerry is good but you must go in an anticlockwise direction to avoid the large tourist coaches. I hope you have left yourself plenty of time.

Jimmy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 7, 2018
Daventry
Funster No
MH
Renault Master MWB
Exp
I'm a newbie
I dropped my youngest guy to Dublin airport early on Good Friday morning and picked him up late Easter Monday evening. In between myself and the better half visited the Giant's Causeway, Derry Walls(well well worth a visit) and started the WAW from Muff to Letterkenny so essenitally just the Inishowen peninsula in 2.5 days. It felt about the right pace as there was lots to see. We cycled bits, walked bits, wild camped and loved every single bit of it. Would recommend visiting Grianan of Aileach on the Inishown peninsula if you do visit. Here's the Failte Ireland WAW map for Google Maps WAW Map. If you open it in your gmail profile you can save it and call it up anytime on your phone. It has Coach routes etc etc as well as the normal WAW. It's well signposted but maps are always handy. Sorry can't help with ferries!!
Thanks for the map, I am heading home (Belfast) in June for just over a month after 30 years. Looking forward to it.

Jun 7, 2018
Daventry
Funster No
MH
Renault Master MWB
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes it would ,look up the thread I posted earlier ,over from Scotland to Northern Ireland cross the border south ,find a vet to issue an Irish pet passport ,no more AHC for EuropešŸ‘šŸ» return same way ,donā€™t bother with the pet lounge just leave dog in van.
Have you been to the North/South of Ireland recently with your dogs, The reason I'm asking is that I'm going home to Belfast in June and all my family tell me that NI is under EU rules which means (1) a microchip (2) a rabies vaccination (3) an animal health certificate (4) a tapeworm treatment both ways. My sister and her husband come to England and Scotland 3/4 times a year with a caravan and three dogs and they had to get EU passports. She told me I could take the risk, but if caught, I would face a large fine and the dog quarantined which I would have to pay for.

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Have you been to the North/South of Ireland recently with your dogs, The reason I'm asking is that I'm going home to Belfast in June and all my family tell me that NI is under EU rules which means (1) a microchip (2) a rabies vaccination (3) an animal health certificate (4) a tapeworm treatment both ways. My sister and her husband come to England and Scotland 3/4 times a year with a caravan and three dogs and they had to get EU passports. She told me I could take the risk, but if caught, I would face a large fine and the dog quarantined which I would have to pay for.
We took our two dogs over via Cairnryan drove over the border ,found the first vet we saw ,paid about Ā£150 iirc for two Eire EU passports and 3year rabies jabs ,had to allow 21days for the jabs to be effective ,crossed back over the border ,no problem and no need for AHC or anything else ,since then been to France and now Germany with no trouble.
I think your family may be over thinking it šŸ‘šŸ»

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
If travelling directly to/from N.I. via England or Scotland, nothing is currently required. It is all here-

If you travel via ROI, passport or AHC etc will be required.

Jun 7, 2018
Daventry
Funster No
MH
Renault Master MWB
Exp
I'm a newbie
We took our two dogs over via Cairnryan drove over the border ,found the first vet we saw ,paid about Ā£150 iirc for two Eire EU passports and 3year rabies jabs ,had to allow 21days for the jabs to be effective ,crossed back over the border ,no problem and no need for AHC or anything else ,since then been to France and now Germany with no trouble.
I think your family may be over thinking it šŸ‘šŸ»
I agree I think my family is overreacting

Nov 12, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro675
Exp
Just started
We've planned out the main routeView attachment 883942
I would revisit that route plan!! If you go into larne you should definitely do the coast road and go up to do the north coast of N.Ire. The route you have planned A-B is as dull as dishwater. I just spent 4 nights doing Belfast to portrush, I think youā€™re trying to do too many miles and missing some fantastic scenery (pic of Whitepark bay beach for example) and places to visit just to get the mileage done. For 16 nights I would personally consider either the top half or bottom half would be enough.

IMG_2052.jpeg

Jun 7, 2018
Daventry
Funster No
MH
Renault Master MWB
Exp
I'm a newbie
If travelling directly to/from N.I. via England or Scotland, nothing is currently required. It is all here-

If you travel via ROI, passport or AHC etc will be required.

Thanks for your reply, Yes, I read that on the "Travelling with Pets" but the bit I didn't like was "while negotiations between the UK government and EU continue." born and reared in NI you learn not to trust sentences like that! (it means watch your back) But I then read "The Windsor Framework" and that made it quite clear. So i'm having the dog vaccinated here in England and then waiting for 21 days and then getting an EU passport in Northern Ireland. An animal health certificate in the West Midlands cost between Ā£174 to Ā£325 + vaccinations I said I would put the dog down first, and the Wife said she would put me down first.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Ah right, similar i think to the liverpool / belfast one. Im assuming the ferry is about 8 hours?
11 hours if I recall - going out loading was about 11 pm with departure midnight so it was straight to bed with a leisurely breakfast next morning (included in the fare) and then easy offload. Coming back it was early afternoon departure, basic but tasty evening meal and then to bed but an early start next morning. All part of the experience and I'd rather sleep the across the Irish Sea.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋
Stranraer is a drive that just keeps on giving,
Yep totally agree..... But hope you not there to catch ferry....
There has not been ferry's from stranraer for many many year..
Cairnryan is now ferry port...

Nov 12, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro675
Exp
Just started
Yep totally agree..... But hope you not there to catch ferry....
There has not been ferry's from stranraer for many many year..
Cairnryan is now ferry port...
Splitting hairs somewhat when your starting point is Wiltshireā€¦ Cairnryan is 5miles up the road from Stranrearā€¦ in my mind they are interchangeable as far as destination goes šŸ˜‚

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋
Splitting hairs somewhat when your starting point is Wiltshireā€¦ Cairnryan is 5miles up the road from Stranrearā€¦ in my mind they are interchangeable as far as destination goes šŸ˜‚
Splitting hairs.... bit harsh..
I was simply pointing out, for others who may not know, that Stranraer is no longer a ferry port....

Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benimar 202
At the southernmost point of your trip near Cork can I suggest you go a little further to Timoleague. Thereā€™s the almost complete Franciscan Abbey aside the river and sea. And as an added plus you could last time I was there park overnight beside the wall and when the tide is in have the most stunning of views . About two miles from there is Courtmacsherry which is as pretty as a pretty thing.

All of my Irish side of my family are laid to rest in the Abbey and I canā€™t think of a better place to be view wise!

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
Getting back up to speed (returning after 30yrs lapse)
If travelling directly to/from N.I. via England or Scotland, nothing is currently required
Might be OK but only if NI is final destination (ie. not going to Republic of Ireland).

Even if DEARA says routine checks were suspended in 2021, AFAIK, the promised changes to formally back that up (due autumn 2023) have not been implemented so "current requirements" are still AHC, rabies, wormer (and they "reserve the right to check")! :rolleyes:

Latest from UK gov
https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad/travelling-to-an-eu-country-or-northern-ireland

So the risk, albeit extremely low, would seem to still be a fine & quarantine! :mad:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks for your reply, Yes, I read that on the "Travelling with Pets" but the bit I didn't like was "while negotiations between the UK government and EU continue." born and reared in NI you learn not to trust sentences like that! (it means watch your back) But I then read "The Windsor Framework" and that made it quite clear. So i'm having the dog vaccinated here in England and then waiting for 21 days and then getting an EU passport in Northern Ireland. An animal health certificate in the West Midlands cost between Ā£174 to Ā£325 + vaccinations I said I would put the dog down first, and the Wife said she would put me down first.

I cannot quite follow who wrote/quoted this bit above. However, the EU pet passport will have to be obtained in ROI and the rabies jab done by that vet. You can have it before you leave home but it will need another as the EU vet in ROI is not allowed to enter that information in the PP. All future rabies jabs will have to be done by an EU vet within the timescale that it states.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They don't check when going from UK to NI and I doubt it will be started anytime soon. If you scroll down the following page to the 4th link & click on it:

Travelling from GB to NI or travelling from NI to GB and returning to NI​

On 15 September 2021, DAERA Minister Edwin Poots MLA announced that checks on all pet dogs, cats and ferrets travelling from GB to NI would be suspended indefinitely while negotiations between the UK government and EU continue.

The UK Government and the EU have agreed the Windsor Framework(external link opens in a new window / tab). There will be no routine compliance checks on the non-commercial movement of UK origin pets (dogs cats and ferrets) travelling from GB to NI until the Windsor Framework pet travel provisions are implemented.

Please note, until further notice, all current requirements for the non-commercial movements of pets (dogs, cats and ferrets) continue to apply.

Further information on changes will be published here in due course.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Even if DEARA says routine checks were suspended in 2021, AFAIK, the promised changes to formally back that up (due autumn 2023) have not been implemented so "current requirements" are still AHC, rabies, wormer (and they "reserve the right to check")! :rolleyes:
There are currently no checks if travelling direct from GB to NI. Yes, that may change in the future but that is the current situation. From DEARA NI -

Edit - Minxy beat me to it. Must have been typing at the same time lol.

Travelling from GB to NI or travelling from NI to GB and returning to NI​

On 15 September 2021, DAERA Minister Edwin Poots MLA announced that checks on all pet dogs, cats and ferrets travelling from GB to NI would be suspended indefinitely while negotiations between the UK government and EU continue.

The UK Government and the EU have agreed the Windsor Framework(external link opens in a new window / tab). There will be no routine compliance checks on the non-commercial movement of UK origin pets (dogs cats and ferrets) travelling from GB to NI until the Windsor Framework pet travel provisions are implemented.

Please note, until further notice, all current requirements for the non-commercial movements of pets (dogs, cats and ferrets) continue to apply.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've planned out the main routeView attachment 883942
If all you want to do is spend most of your time travelling on the larger roads then that's a good route! šŸ˜„

If you want to enjoy visiting Ireland and exploring the gems it has to offer then you need to cut the route in half at least.

Many of the roads are narrow and bendy and it can take a long while to get anywhere so don't trust the times given on the route planner.

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
Getting back up to speed (returning after 30yrs lapse)

Agreed, no routine checks as 2021 and, hence risk is minimal, but, here is the catch...

Current requirements [...] continue.
(AHC, rabies, wormer)

Changes will be published [...] in due course

And it looks like nothing new has yet been agreed - Just like all the other 'oven ready' solutions ;)

Regardless, any visit to Republic of Ireland would definitely need the AHC (or an EU issued passport) - even if no regular border controls.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I travel frequently with my dogs on the Scottish route to Northern Ireland. There are no checks on dogs on either side of the border. There are no checks on dogs crossing into Ireland. My advice would be to come to Ireland either part and get your EU pet passport and rabies jab.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back