Best Van Route to Eire for Tour? (1 Viewer)

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Hi folks,

What's the best way to get the van to Eire for tour ? Thinking Holyhead Dublin, but is that the most expensive? Should I consider the route via Larne?

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
If you do have dogs be aware that you need no medical treatment for them from Uk mainland /N Ireland/eire.and back👍

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Go Cairnryan to the north, route's gonna depend on what you like and how much time you have and if you like sites / "aires" or wilding. BUT, head north outta Belfast, follow the coast, head into Donegal, there's nowhere better! Then south, Sligo is meh, head through Connemara and admire all the different types of rocks there are everywhere, avoid Galway City, it's unbelievably motorhome unfriendly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Oh, also, I think one of the ferry operators on the scotland / NI route do "motorhome same price as a car" on certain days only, so could save even more if you can be flexible. THINK its a Tuesday/Wednesday? Google is your friend here.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm not sure if CLdN (previously SeaTruck) have started to take motorhomes again?

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Holyhead Dublin worked out cheapest for us to N Ireland from East of England once totting up fuel, ferry, cabins, tolls etc..

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Booked P&O outta Cairnryan both ways at sensible time of day £400 for the 8mtr Augusta. Holyhead was £150 more expensive.

We've got plenty of time the MH is in storage in Chester so either route was Ok, the Scottish route is quicker cheaper and I can overnight the day before and after FOC in Scotland. So going June for 16 days/nights.

I'm be in France until 15th May, then racing Thruxton on 18-19th , best friend 80th Birthday on 1st June. So it all fits together nicely.

Then the NH goes back in Chester storage, and back to France the week after, for the summer...... What a tangled web we weave. :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Is that Liverpool / Belfast? Never ever seen the appeal of that route I have to admit.
No Heysham to either Dublin or Belfast. We did Heysham to Dublin and return a few years ago and it was a great start and end to the holiday, overnight with meals included and the driver's lounge was comfortable. Plenty of soft drinks.

Heysham is easier for us to get to than Cairnryan.

Not suitable for people with mobility issues or pets due to steep stairs from the vehicle deck to the passenger deck.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
No Heysham to either Dublin or Belfast. We did Heysham to Dublin and return a few years ago and it was a great start and end to the holiday, overnight with meals included and the driver's lounge was comfortable. Plenty of soft drinks.

Heysham is easier for us to get to than Cairnryan.

Not suitable for people with mobility issues or pets due to steep stairs from the vehicle deck to the passenger deck.
Ah right, similar i think to the liverpool / belfast one. Im assuming the ferry is about 8 hours?

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We use both the Rosslare and Dun Laoghaire routes. Sometime we go out one way and return the other. Once used the Swansea - Cork route but I don't think that runs any more and was a terrible crossing.

Years ago did Liverpool - Dublin but saw no benefit to driving the extra to Holyhead given the higher cost of an overnight cabin.

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
We're keen to keep the crossing time down, spend enough time on Brittany Ferries. We come over from St Malo to get to Chester to pick up the MoHo.

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
We've planned out the main route
WAW Main ROute.jpg

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
If you do all that in 7 days you will be driving right past all the best bits IMHO. 100 miles a day in Ireland takes a lot of doing. Pace of life over there is very relaxed, there is very little dual carriageway and some of the roads are winding and narrow.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
If you do all that in 7 days you will be driving right past all the best bits IMHO
I think the OP said 16 days but even that wouldn't be long enough to do that route.
In my opinion too much of the route is inland, but if you start to follow the coast (the WAW) it will add many more miles.
For example, I would suggest between A and B you follow the Antrim Coast Road north.
This will take you past The Giants Causeway, Carrick Na Rede Rope Bridge etc.
Also, your route takes you through Donegal but again most people tend to follow the coast.
Same for The Ring of Kerry etc, etc,
Perhaps you could do half now and half at a later date?

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As previously mentioned - avoid Galway - it is not motorhome friendly but if you must go, there are a few sites bordering the town and socially its a good spot.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
I dropped my youngest guy to Dublin airport early on Good Friday morning and picked him up late Easter Monday evening. In between myself and the better half visited the Giant's Causeway, Derry Walls(well well worth a visit) and started the WAW from Muff to Letterkenny so essenitally just the Inishowen peninsula in 2.5 days. It felt about the right pace as there was lots to see. We cycled bits, walked bits, wild camped and loved every single bit of it. Would recommend visiting Grianan of Aileach on the Inishown peninsula if you do visit. Here's the Failte Ireland WAW map for Google Maps WAW Map. If you open it in your gmail profile you can save it and call it up anytime on your phone. It has Coach routes etc etc as well as the normal WAW. It's well signposted but maps are always handy. Sorry can't help with ferries!!

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I think the OP said 16 days but even that wouldn't be long enough to do that route.
In my opinion too much of the route is inland, but if you start to follow the coast (the WAW) it will add many more miles.
For example, I would suggest between A and B you follow the Antrim Coast Road north.
This will take you past The Giants Causeway, Carrick Na Rede Rope Bridge etc.
Also, your route takes you through Donegal but again most people tend to follow the coast.
Same for The Ring of Kerry etc, etc,
Perhaps you could do half now and half at a later date?
Thanks, I've just used a route planner to get a broad idea of the mileages. I will go over to coast where possible. I've got the GlenColmcille Folk Village marked up for a visit and over to Portmagee. Doing the work on finding which road as passable with a 8Mtr 4.5tonne MoH0

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Does our dog need an Animal Health Certificate if I travel from Wales to the Republic of Ireland?
If so, would entering ROI via Scotland and N Ireland avoid having to get an AHC for the dog?

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Does our dog need an Animal Health Certificate if I travel from Wales to the Republic of Ireland?
If so, would entering ROI via Scotland and N Ireland avoid having to get an AHC for the dog?
Yes it would ,look up the thread I posted earlier ,over from Scotland to Northern Ireland cross the border south ,find a vet to issue an Irish pet passport ,no more AHC for Europe👍🏻 return same way ,don’t bother with the pet lounge just leave dog in van.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Is there ever a good time to visit/tour Ireland weatherwise?
Summer is better than winter. autumn usually not as good as spring, but you are going to get some rain and mist whenever you go. Usually it doesn't have too much effect, and can change very quickly. As they say in Ireland, It only rained twice last week. Once for four days and then for three day! :LOL:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Meant to add, religious or not, Knock is worth a visit. The town is a little tacky but nothing on the scale of Lourdes. The old church and the Basilica are both worth visiting as very different experiences.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back