Are today's shiny new motorhomes fit for purpose? (1 Viewer)

Oct 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
I think not.

A shiny new Fiat based motorhome purchased new this year has been off the road for two months, unable to start the engine.

Why?

Because the start/stop system went start/stop start/STOP on lane two of a busy motorway - not to start again and has since been on the back of 4 recovery trucks. The tracker people keep ringing to ask why is it moving without the engine running?

In addition to that, before it STOPPED, the regenerative braking system was ridiculous - at best, only charging the starter battery to 12.2 volts. In some cases, the start/stop system was discharging the battery faster than the alternator could recharge it.

After being recovered from lane 2 of the motorway, the dealer told me that the engine battery was probably dead/dying when we bought it because it had been left uncharged in various places after the battery manufacturer made it. Quite probably for years before we got it.

The prospect of a low leisure battery being charged above 12.2 volts was non exsistant. (and that battery had probably suffered the same fate as the starter battery)

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Can't see them redefining the class weights just to suit a technology otherwise they might as well scrap them now. The older generation can already drive up to 7500kg so why not just scrap the limits as they are now for the younger generation.

I think the talk (and something they touch on in one of their entries) is for a revision of European licence thresholds so that a 4,250 kg van can be driven. Specifically they say "Because all cars and vans are getting heavier, not just the electric ones, there’s talk of changing the rules and regulations in the European Union. They want to make it possible for people to drive a van weighing up to 4250kg with a regular driver’s license."

Different countries of course do it differently and the C1 grandfathering is a temporary UK solution. Irrespective of whether the UK chooses to extend such C1 entitlements - something they may struggle to justify when it isn't done under a 'grandfathering' banner - they may obviously need to mirror any 3,500 to 4,250 entitlement change. Or the next generation in the UK won't have the licences to drive the vans that will be built!

Or alternatively battery technology may improve to provide better energy density so that it can all work at 3,500 kg.

Some of what one reads (in my case as a lay person) about solid state batteries, for instance from Toyota, would suggest that there are potentially significant step changes that can be made. In range, weight, performance, a significant cost reduction, and much faster charging time.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
If it only charges to 80% in 30 minutes, wont it need to recharge even more times?
I necked the truck I was in last week, 350litres in about 10 minutes and yes about 1000kms worth.

The other issue is where you will find the heavyweight chargers, that will be required? Numerous choices with Diesel.

I still think they're going the wrong way with banning fossil fuels for heavies, petrol hybrid is a much better solution
80% is always quoted and EV drivers are told not to exceed this on a regular basis or risk damage to the battery. Tests are conducted on 100% battery the stats are always la la land becuase they are never achievable.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
When I was a medium sized fromage within a vast multinational FMCG manufacturing group we were required to produce 5 and 10 year plans which were sufficiently immediate to satisfy the banks, shareholders, legislators, politicians and campaign groups, but far enough off that we didn't have to do anything now or give precise details as to how the plans would be achieved.
We didn't give ourselves gas doing them and they were all froth because we knew very well that due to advances in technology, changes in the economic environment and the turnover of senior executive staff and politicians the aspirations would be overtaken, irrelevant, modified or dropped in the intervening years. It was dead easy as it was in the best financial and career interests of absolutely everyone to admire the Emperor's new clothes.
Of course.:giggle: But here we have every vehicle manufacturer only focusing on and developing specific technologies, countries outlawing the old technologies and so on. Against this we may, for instance, have Sunakian froth about moving 2030 to 2035 (to the chagrin of vehicle manufacturers who won't change their investment plans to humour his politicking), but the bus doesn't seem to be stopping or changing direction very much.

Maybe in the case of lorries there is a VHS/Betamax discussion about Electric v hydrogen, but certainly my 3l diesel Land Rover will not be available in that future world. Nor, it would seem, will my 2.3l Fiat Ducato be. The e-Ducato, on the other hand, is already with us.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Can't see them redefining the class weights just to suit a technology otherwise they might as well scrap them now. The older generation can already drive up to 7500kg so why not just scrap the limits as they are now for the younger generation.
They have already raised the 3500kg to 4250kg in respect of electric vans used for commercial purposes. They are also talking about extending higher limits to younger drivers who are currently limited to 3500kg, again for the benefits it would bring to commercial driving. I have seen nothing that suggests that older people who want to drive something bigger than 3500kg will be offered anything new. Indeed the official consultation mentioned concerns about the health risks associated with older drivers. I would like to be wrong but I am not holding my breath for something that will avoid the need for C1 medicals.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
They have already raised the 3500kg to 4250kg in respect of electric vans used for commercial purposes. They are also talking about extending higher limits to younger drivers who are currently limited to 3500kg, again for the benefits it would bring to commercial driving. I have seen nothing that suggests that older people who want to drive something bigger than 3500kg will be offered anything new. Indeed the official consultation mentioned concerns about the health risks associated with older drivers. I would like to be wrong but I am not holding my breath for something that will avoid the need for C1 medicals
I would suspect that you're right. I guess that it will take the form of either a general increase in B licence weight limits, or more probably an increase that applies only if one is driving a particular vehicle type (an electric van, say), or even only if one is driving a particular vehicle type for a specific purpose (an electric van in the course of one's work).

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Regarding fitness for purpose, the future is electric and almost here. I see that the Fiat e-Ducato - already for sale - has a payload of at least 690 kg (largest battery, largest body, 3,500 kg limit), but up to much more (c. 1,800 kg for 4,250 kg chassis, smallest battery and body).
I think as said before Electric is a stop gap, electric cars are not pollution free from raw materials to disposal, plus who's going to buy 3, or 5 year old electric car risking battery failure unless it's a leased by battery.
I think it's going to be Hydrogen or the Ammonia based fuel that has been developed, could even be refined/ non toxic petrol or diesel or something else. At the moment we pull up at the pumps and are away within minutes, not having anxiety hoping the charger is not faulty or there is a queue.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I would suspect that you're right. I guess that it will take the form of either a general increase in B licence weight limits, or more probably an increase that applies only if one is driving a particular vehicle type (an electric van, say), or even only if one is driving a particular vehicle type for a specific purpose (an electric van in the course of one's work).
I cannot envisage driving licence weight limits being increased across Europe any time soon.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I cannot envisage driving licence weight limits being increased across Europe any time soon.
Maybe, but there is also this

EU driving license revision could see category B licence weight limits increase to 4.25 tons

Read more at: https://trans.info/eu-revising-driving-license-regulations-321612

New regulations will allow drivers to drive heavier e-LCVs​

And in the UK a higher limit already applies to electric vehicles?
"Currently, drivers that passed their test after 1997 are restricted to driving vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of no more than 3.5 tonnes. Anything heavier than 3.5 tonnes is classified as a heavy goods vehicle. The only exception is for electric vehicles – motorists with post-1997 tests can drive anything weighing up to 4.25 tonnes without taking an extra test, but only after they have taken five hours of additional training."

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
So one could potentially drive say an e-Ducato based motorhome, on a B licence (or after losing C1), of up to 4.25 tons. With a post-conversion payload of conservatively maybe 800 kg (extrapolating from that Dutch couple's experience).

I can see this happening.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
When I was a medium sized fromage within a vast multinational FMCG manufacturing group we were required to produce 5 and 10 year plans which were sufficiently immediate to satisfy the banks, shareholders, legislators, politicians and campaign groups, but far enough off that we didn't have to do anything now or give precise details as to how the plans would be achieved.
We didn't give ourselves gas doing them and they were all froth because we knew very well that due to advances in technology, changes in the economic environment, to legislation and the turnover of senior executive staff and politicians the aspirations would be overtaken, irrelevant, modified or dropped in the intervening years. It was dead easy as it was in the best financial and career interests of absolutely everyone to admire the Emperor's new clothes.
Absolutely! (y)

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
All these devices to combat emissions just add to very expensive repair bills should they go wrong. We are all experiencing huge increases in insurance premiums due to the increased cost of repairing or replacing safety devices such has frontal radar sensors, EV cars being written off because the integrity of the battery cannot be guaranteed after minor collisions. All this is doing is driving up costs.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I only assume I don't as it seems to charge the leisure battery at 14.2 volts all the time when the engine is running.
Mine charges the engine battery at that amount whilst running. has done since I bought it. split charge for the leisures plus solar as well.
How would such deletion be detected in order for prosecution to follow?
It can't be . same as catalytic converters without anything in them cannot be detected unless cut opn & the same applies to DPF's.
If no one is interested in illegal modifications to front chassis rails on cars so that they can be "towed" as a 'Toad' using "A frames",& so negating there Certificate of Conformity ,I cannot see why there should be any prosecutions for dpf/catalyst/ egr, /adblue deletes
Presumably it would, under normal circumstances, be quite difficult to detect.
Nigh on impossible.
not also result in insurance being invalidated?
insurance for 3rd party events can never be invalidated. You are only thinking of your own claim for your own vehicle.
So one could potentially drive say an e-Ducato based motorhome, on a B licence (or after losing C1), of up to 4.25 tons.
no as it applies to commercial use only .

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
2021 Carado V132 LHD
Exp
since 2005
Until battery technology provides better solutions.

But it is the future. Motorhomes will need to be electric in the future, won’t they?
No; EV was only ever a stop-gap. Neither the generating capacity nor the infrastructure to achieve 90% EV is achievable or affordable by the ridiculous deadlines set by western governments. That's why they are back-tracking like crazy.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
No; EV was only ever a stop-gap. Neither the generating capacity nor the infrastructure to achieve 90% EV is achievable or affordable by the ridiculous deadlines set by western governments. That's why they are back-tracking like crazy.
I think National Grid recently said they didn’t think there would be a capacity problem. I don’t know what the assumptions are but there must be some demand modelling to support this.

It would be a bit … unexpected to move away from established and functional technology and invest lock, stock and barrel in a new technology when this is only seen as a bridge to an undetermined future technology, wouldn’t it? Why do such a thing?

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I'll stick with our 3.0l diesel and just modify it a bit to run in the ever increasing supply of old chip fat produced by Macdonalds whenever the politics ban black diesel
Have you seen the colour of Diesel? it is not Black

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Is that right? I'm a bit late to the party but haven't found the source on this. The DVLA site just seems silent on the subject.
There are moves to change it. The current regulation restricts it to commercial use and asfaik also puts a distance limit of some kind.

edit.

Found it

Note the date of the document - 2018 for a 5 year trial.
Page 10 mentions MH's

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back