Are CAMC finally getting the message (3 Viewers)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Well there's a surprise. You have to wonder how this can possibly be. They will have to explain now why they are loosing money, because we have always been told they are a "not for profit" organisation. ..YEH RIGHT
But do they make a profit?
How is the revenue from site fees, etc used/disbursed?

Oct 5, 2022
Altrincham, UK
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
2005 had a motorhome had a gap now back
I spoke to one of the sites up in Scotland and they said since they have changed the deposit scheme they have had less long term books, but a lot less no shows, meaning that they had space to take people who are passing. They said before they had fully booked sites but empty plots due to people changing their mind. They only had one pitch left and I have to say a lot of the others were full. We are new to this and did end up a couple of nights in a quiet corner away from view. (But they happen to have been the most amazing nights)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I have been trying to book a site for the next leg of my adventure since last night but the app is just displaying a message saying they are making some changes and they’ll be back soon.

Did someone break it????

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
I have been trying to book a site for the next leg of my adventure since last night but the app is just displaying a message saying they are making some changes and they’ll be back soon.

Did someone break it????
The same thing’s just happened to me as well. I reckon the club is seriously in the doldrums at the moment.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Web site showing an "Essential Maintenance" sign. As usual no advance notice of maintenance, and on a Thursday evening when I guess a good few folks might be trying to book a last minutes get away for the weekend!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Did someone break it????

The same thing’s just happened to me as well. I reckon the club is seriously in the doldrums at the moment.

Web site showing an "Essential Maintenance" sign. As usual no advance notice of maintenance, and on a Thursday evening when I guess a good few folks might be trying to book a last minutes get away for the weekend!
Even Club Wardens couldn't get in!

May 25, 2016
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
2015 PVC, now from 2020 Coachbuilt
UK VAT on sites= 20%. VAT in most EU countries 10%. Tourist tax in most EU countries approx €1 per person per night so €2 for a couple. So the combination is about the same as UK VAT. BUT Scotland is clearly intending to impose a tourist tax. This is the elephant on the room. Once it grabs hold, all greedy local authorities will want their own. And this is what self-serving "clubs" should be opposing in England& Wales, and not feathering their own nests...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've stayed on two CMC sites recently, both were almost full. But they have reduced the deposit requirement, which may or may not be a good thing.

Oct 5, 2022
Altrincham, UK
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
2005 had a motorhome had a gap now back
I found when I rang the club sites direct, this was on NC500 where its hard to keep to a schedule with so many places to visit, I had more success, some said full on the site but had availability , I think it did help being a member and the one I went to held on for us to arrive last minute, I was very grateful.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
UK VAT on sites= 20%. VAT in most EU countries 10%. Tourist tax in most EU countries approx €1 per person per night so €2 for a couple. So the combination is about the same as UK VAT. BUT Scotland is clearly intending to impose a tourist tax. This is the elephant on the room. Once it grabs hold, all greedy local authorities will want their own. And this is what self-serving "clubs" should be opposing in England& Wales, and not feathering their own nests...
Well that's one way of looking at the new tax, wrongly in my view. This is what the legislation is about:

"Local visitor levy​

We are proposing to give councils powers to introduce a visitor levy, sometimes known as a 'tourism tax'. This will generate funds to invest in local facilities and services, helping to attract more visitors."

So a national tax levied at local level, the proceeds of which are to be spent at local level.
The OP doesn't see any benefit in that. I do, having seen and been involved with the many local benefits a tourism tax has brought to countries in the EU and further afield.
Just why the two main clubs should oppose it I struggle to understand. The system works well elsewhere, why not in Scotland? Or England and Wales for the same reason.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
and still down this morning!
Wonder what their position will be on a member trying to cancel and as a result of the "maintenance" will breach the 21 day rule?:unsure:

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
You could ring them and cancel they'll say . ;)
Bookings line was a waste of time last time we called them in all fairness , told us the site was full ....eeerrr no we're already here and just want to extend our stay.. place is virtually empty.
Well computer says no .

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You could ring them and cancel they'll say . ;)
Bookings line was a waste of time last time we called them in all fairness , told us the site was full ....eeerrr no we're already here and just want to extend our stay.. place is virtually empty.
Well computer says no .
but with no mobile signal (as we have at the moment)?:RollEyes:I would be challenging them if this were to happen.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Haven know how to market properly, just ask chaser

View attachment 769395

I get about four of these emails a year with prices as low as £10.00 per night, great value and you don't need to be a member to take advantage of the offer.
Great deals in winter etc, but I can’t see any June sites for that price at Haven when you go into it, I also get those emails.

March etc, brilliant but misleading information for June as far as I can see.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I've stayed on two CMC sites recently, both were almost full. But they have reduced the deposit requirement, which may or may not be a good thing.
Agreed both sites we have stayed on this week are 90% full and it’s not yet the busy season.

It amazes me how people moan about CAMC sites but the wardens do a great job keeping the sites clean tidy and well maintained.

I doubt if any one who planned the sites planned for 100% full except the busy summer months.

As a member I am very happy with the sites well laid out good space between units staff in the main seem ok and polite. Like any business staff tend to react to customers on how a customer behaves to them.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It amazes me how people moan about CAMC sites but the wardens do a great job keeping the sites clean tidy and well maintained.
The Club introduced "no mow zones" a year or two back, generally on bankings, around trees, etc with the view to encourage wildlife however there's a strong rumour going around this will be extended to the "pitch areas" with only narrow "walkways" being mowed.:RollEyes:
Maybe the Club's next diversification opportunity being explored is to become the setting for "I'm a celebrity get me out of here!" :unsure:

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
'No mow may' is over but i bet the councils take an age to get back on top of things again, site staff on the whole do a pretty good job on the grounds from what i've seen .
In fairness most do a pretty good job full stop as it aint as easy as everyone thinks .

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The Club introduced "no mow zones" a year or two back, generally on bankings, around trees, etc with the view to encourage wildlife however there's a strong rumour going around this will be extended to the "pitch areas" with only narrow "walkways" being mowed.:RollEyes:
Maybe the Club's next diversification opportunity being explored is to become the setting for "I'm a celebrity get me out of here!" :unsure:
The good thing at the site we are currently on is a no mow area within dog walking areas just mown paths, there are other areas that could have no mow allocation. Possibly more hedges too. My garden has no now may and wild areas which encourage wild like. Although we have a smallish garden by making these changes we have seen an increase in wild life such as different bird species and a few more hedgehogs.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
In answer to the question in the thread title, I doubt it. For all the 'special offers' etc. the sites are still overpriced. The way they are operated, facilities blocks closed for a couple of hours each day for instance does little to encourage purchasing the product. If 24 hour loo facilities requires me to use my own, then why would I pay CAMC prices? Just done a month in France & Spain with average site costs of £10 pn.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The good thing at the site we are currently on is a no mow area within dog walking areas just mown paths, there are other areas that could have no mow allocation. Possibly more hedges too. My garden has no now may and wild areas which encourage wild like. Although we have a smallish garden by making these changes we have seen an increase in wild life such as different bird species and a few more hedgehogs.
Don't disagree with the no mow zones, eg Hawes is a very good example but the have these between \ around pitches, mmmmmh. :unsure:

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
Spent Christmas at Cirencester last year, most expensive site I have ever been on, chatted to wardens about price and was told how lucky I was being a CAMC member as it would have been £12 a day extra, so its over the channel for us as much as possible or 90 day allow. Only renewed as get discount on MH insurance.
They were Lucky that you stayed there, without people like you, they wouldn't have no income.

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
The CAMC will continue to keep a lot of members purely for the CL network, quite a few ask for membership number. I abandoned a 4 night stay on a conveniently located site a few days ago due to noisy neighbours, sloping restricted pitch, EHU distance and endless barking dogs (my own dog has been trained not to bark!) Now on a CL which is actually more expensive for a single person, but the peace, views and freedom are worth it. Have decided I will never use a CAMC site again but will stay a member for the CLs.

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
Yep £13 extra a night for non members when we looked at staying in cheddar .
Fortunately theres a lovely private site literally across the road thats far prettier,cheaper and friendlier with a river running alongside that we used instead (y)

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
The CAMC will continue to keep a lot of members purely for the CL network, quite a few ask for membership number.
I too also only use CL/CS's and have been doing so for many many years and even though I have my membership no. To hand when booking and also on arrival I have yet to be asked to show it!

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I too also only use CL/CS's and have been doing so for many many years and even though I have my membership no. To hand when booking and also on arrival I have yet to be asked to show it!
Mostly the same experience, but a few have asked for my membership no on the booking confirmation email. I always ignored the request and nothing further has been said.

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
If they ditch deposits the selfish will return and pitch availability will diminish. Before they introduced deposits we had decided not to renew our membership due to the frustration over weekend availability. I understand many on the forum will never use CMC sites, are negative towards those that use EHU but looking around the site I am on today probably 60% of vehicles are Motorhomes or vans and all are hooked up to mains power. We will never wild camp always use sites of some description.
Don't know anyone that is "negative towards those that use EHU"? if EHU is available on site then most will of course use it, like the site I am on now, it is as good if not better then a club site, EHU comes with the price, Delightful campsite. Very clean with water/electric on every pitch, the staff are great, very clean Showers & Toilets, The pitches are level and bordered in most parts 10 minute walk into town, also 10 minute walk to the Castles/Church up above, with great views of the castles, this site equals if not better then a club site (CAMC/CACC), Prices are very good for this site, I paid €32.00 for two nights, that inclusive of EHU, now that's competitive.
1.jpg
s inclusive of EHU.
Scotz, Have you tried Pillaton site in Penkridge, I flew over it on Sunday in my pals plane and it looked stunning. Plenty of space with a fishing pool, with great walks, biking paths for the lad's. Near to Penkridge and Cannock for bar's etc. Check it out as sure the prices are very competitive 👌

View attachment 769483
I wouldn't call £44.00 a night without EHU very competitive.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back