Anyone got confirmed news Re Fiat Ducato build delays (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, I am awaiting a new Adria PVC which should have been here last October but keeps on getting put back on a monthly basis. Now end of June and I don’t believe it will come then if I’m honest. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if it finally arrived in 2023!

Trying to get any information of the true delay situation from the manufacturers, let alone information that you can trust to be correct and up to date, I am finding impossible. Nothing on the news for Europe but some in America Re shifts being closed at factories there from 2 to 1 a day, but that is about Stellantis car plants I believe.

The delays all appear to revolve around Stellantis production in Italy at their Sevel plant but still none the wiser as to specifically why. Saying the Pandemic repeatedly does not do it for me now.

I would just like to get some honest understanding of why the monthly delays continue and I think all Fiat based manufacturers are pretty much the same.

I wanted to start this Thread for comments from anyone who has got confirmed news or information, rather than rumours and speculation, although if my experiences are the same as others no one will be able to confidently add an update, but here goes 👍🏻

Regards in advance if anyone can add anything

May 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Just be careful that your van is not coming in and going out again, being sold at today's prices.
That’s what I’m afraid of Jim. I have asked the question and been told by the dealer that is not the case. I have got so many questions. How do I find out of that has happened. Is it the dealer, the motor home fitter or the chassis manufacturer? I don’t really know how the industry works or who I should be chasing down. I’m relying on the word of the dealer currently. Any advice on how things work and what I might do?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

fesuvious

Free Member
Jul 11, 2020
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff
Exp
@5yrs
I had reason for work purposes to talk to a large scale commercial vehicle builder about a Fiat Chassis vehicle that was on order.

Ordered last October. Anticipated build slot Jan, latest, delivery by March.

As at two days ago, they had absolutely no idea when their Fiat Chassis were destined to arrive.

Deposit refund requested.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
That’s what I’m afraid of Jim. I have asked the question and been told by the dealer that is not the case. I have got so many questions. How do I find out of that has happened. Is it the dealer, the motor home fitter or the chassis manufacturer? I don’t really know how the industry works or who I should be chasing down. I’m relying on the word of the dealer currently. Any advice on how things work and what I might do?
Do you have any documentation or contract or deposit paid that secures your order. Even in these times of component shortage having placed your order in 2020 I think something is amiss with your dealer. I think I would be contacting Autotrail and asking where your 2020 order through your dealer actually is in their schedule. They will probably just refer you back to dealer but but you might get some general indication as to whether the are receiving the PVC's from Fiat. There are many of us waiting but at least we were given projected delivery times and subsequently revised ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Apr 3, 2022
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
ItineoSB740 on order
Exp
We visited our dealer today to talk about dealer fitted accessories. The new MH arrives next week (ordered June 2021). He told me it would be 10 000€ more expensive if we ordered today and that we’d be unlikely to get it until 2024. He said Rapido (we’re buying an Itineo) are not introducing a new 2023 range until December (and it will last for 6 months before things return to normal in June 2024. I was glad to hear that my vehicle and all the extras I subsequently added will all be at the June 2021 price.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
On Friday last week there were 15 to 20 Fiat PVC in the Autotrail works compound at Immingham waiting to get their conversions. There were also a number of Fiat cab chassis too and plenty of workers cars at the factory, so presumably they were working. 3 weeks ago, or there about, there were no fiats there at all apart from some registered ones presumably for warranty repair.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I ordered my Autotrail PVC in October 2020 and I’m still waiting, with no confirmed build or delivery date.
This seems very strange and not in line with others receiving their vans over the past year that I know of. My friend bought a new in stock V line from a dealer April 2021

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
We visited our dealer today to talk about dealer fitted accessories. The new MH arrives next week (ordered June 2021). He told me it would be 10 000€ more expensive if we ordered today and that we’d be unlikely to get it until 2024. He said Rapido (we’re buying an Itineo) are not introducing a new 2023 range until December (and it will last for 6 months before things return to normal in June 2024. I was glad to hear that my vehicle and all the extras I subsequently added will all be at the June 2021 price.
In fact my Rapido Dreamer Living PVC with rear lounge and drop down front bed designed specifically for the UK market is being discontinued after the 2022 quota is satisfied. I think considerable rationalisation is taking place to cope with demand.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Do you have any documentation or contract or deposit paid that secures your order. Even in these times of component shortage having placed your order in 2020 I think something is amiss with your dealer. I think I would be contacting Autotrail and asking where your 2020 order through your dealer actually is in their schedule. They will probably just refer you back to dealer but but you might get some general indication as to whether the are receiving the PVC's from Fiat. There are many of us waiting but at least we were given projected delivery times and subsequently revised ones.
Thanks Dash300, I have been given projected delivery dates and they keep getting revised however the latest update provided no projected delivery date. I will contact Autotrail directly as you suggested. It seems from what others have said in this thread that Autotrail are receiving chassis deliveries from Autotrail but I can’t work out why my order has not progressed, when others appear to be. I was told some time ago that my order was at the top of the Autotrail list but not sure if that counts for anything.
I was also waiting for a chassis number to be allocated to my order for a long time and having been advised I had received one have now been told it’s been removed. Is this common practice? Who is responsible for allocating the chassis number? Any insight welcome 🙏

Upvote 0
May 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
On Friday last week there were 15 to 20 Fiat PVC in the Autotrail works compound at Immingham waiting to get their conversions. There were also a number of Fiat cab chassis too and plenty of workers cars at the factory, so presumably they were working. 3 weeks ago, or there about, there were no fiats there at all apart from some registered ones presumably for warranty repair.
That sounds encouraging. At least I now know Autotrail are receiving chassis from Fiat. Thanks.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
This seems very strange and not in line with others receiving their vans over the past year that I know of. My friend bought a new in stock V line from a dealer April 2021
I can’t work out where the blockage/delay in the order process is! Is the dealer, Autotrail or Fiat.
I’m being told by my dealer that Autotrail are saying Fiat aren’t building my chassis so Autotrail have removed it from their schedule to convert. So confusing.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
We ordered our Autotrail expedition end of last summer for a November 21 collection. Got pushed out and collected end of Feb. Is the 2.2 140hp manual.
Did you opt for metallic paint or Matt? My dealer has told me there is an issue with metallic paint which is causing the delay.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Where did it all go wrong? Wiring looms from Ukraine, chips from China, bits from Italy, more bits from France, nailed together in Germany to make a motorhome for sale in Britain. We’ve all seen the films of men and women streaming out of the Raleigh factory building British bikes or the Coventry car factories building British cars. This should have translated into modern high tech factories supplying British factories with raw materials and parts to build everything we need here. Rant over!
It can be done but the cost would be 4-10 times higher would you be OK to pay for that.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Thanks Dash300, I have been given projected delivery dates and they keep getting revised however the latest update provided no projected delivery date. I will contact Autotrail directly as you suggested. It seems from what others have said in this thread that Autotrail are receiving chassis deliveries from Autotrail but I can’t work out why my order has not progressed, when others appear to be. I was told some time ago that my order was at the top of the Autotrail list but not sure if that counts for anything.
I was also waiting for a chassis number to be allocated to my order for a long time and having been advised I had received one have now been told it’s been removed. Is this common practice? Who is responsible for allocating the chassis number? Any insight welcome 🙏
I would guess that once a chassis number is given the vehicle exists and will be ready for the convertor. I have received a recent message from my dealer on the 'Delivery Delays' posting that once a chassis number is allocated it would normally be converted and with the dealer within about 4 weeks. Having said that he did add that they are having vehicles showing as completed but still awaiting a component which holds up delivery. But your 2020 still outstanding is a mystery. There were 4 new Adria PVC's the other week at Highbridge so they are dripping through.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
I would guess that once a chassis number is given the vehicle exists and will be ready for the convertor. I have received a recent message from my dealer on the 'Delivery Delays' posting that once a chassis number is allocated it would normally be converted and with the dealer within about 4 weeks. Having said that he did add that they are having vehicles showing as completed but still awaiting a component which holds up delivery. But your 2020 still outstanding is a mystery. There were 4 new Adria PVC's the other week at Highbridge so they are dripping through.
My dealer told me I had a chassis number allocated but now it’s been removed. I hope that it hasn’t been assigned to another vehicle or even worse that my van has been converted and somehow been sold on to another buyer. Does this sort of thing happen? And is it the company converting the van or the dealer that does this?

Upvote 1
Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
My dealer told me I had a chassis number allocated but now it’s been removed. I hope that it hasn’t been assigned to another vehicle or even worse that my van has been converted and somehow been sold on to another buyer. Does this sort of thing happen? And is it the company converting the van or the dealer that does this?
Can't answer that really. Chassis numbers don't get removed they are specified by Fiat and allocated to, in your case Autotrail. Who is your dealer? There may be those on here who know whether they are reputable or not.
There is a suspicion as Jim indicated in an earlier posting that with the increase in prices the temptation of selling on a customers order to a new buyer for a 10k extra profit would be very tempting. No evidence of this as far as I am aware but if you do not have a deposit paid contract they could do as they want. This is a dealer issue in my opinion and I think you are being palmed off as your order was in 2020!

Upvote 0
May 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Can't answer that really. Chassis numbers don't get removed they are specified by Fiat and allocated to, in your case Autotrail. Who is your dealer? There may be those on here who know whether they are reputable or not.
There is a suspicion as Jim indicated in an earlier posting that with the increase in prices the temptation of selling on a customers order to a new buyer for a 10k extra profit would be very tempting. No evidence of this as far as I am aware but if you do not have a deposit paid contract they could do as they want. This is a dealer issue in my opinion and I think you are being palmed off as your order was in 2020!
Thank you Dash300. I’m going to contact Autotrail for their comment on the chassis number. I have confirmation of the order, price agreed for the van and deposit paid. I was never informed of the actual chassis number by my dealer and they deny saying they told me I actually had one. I have also kept a record of every telephone conversation (dated and timed) I have had with the dealer and with Autotrail. I also recall the excitement of being told I had a chassis number and of telling everyone my wan was in production. It will be interesting to hear what Autotrail have to say about the chassis number and whether they provide any details to me or side with the dealer and refer everything back to them.
I’ll update the post when I’ve heard back. Thanks for the input so far.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Thank you Dash300. I’m going to contact Autotrail for their comment on the chassis number. I have confirmation of the order, price agreed for the van and deposit paid. I was never informed of the actual chassis number by my dealer and they deny saying they told me I actually had one. I have also kept a record of every telephone conversation (dated and timed) I have had with the dealer and with Autotrail. I also recall the excitement of being told I had a chassis number and of telling everyone my wan was in production. It will be interesting to hear what Autotrail have to say about the chassis number and whether they provide any details to me or side with the dealer and refer everything back to them.
I’ll update the post when I’ve heard back. Thanks for the input so far.
Your in a good position with your paperwork. Emails are a good data trail to keep as well. If you get your van at the agreed 2020 price you will have done very well out of the deal. I would imagine Autotrail will be interested if one of their dealers is messing customers around!

Upvote 0
May 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Your in a good position with your paperwork. Emails are a good data trail to keep as well. If you get your van at the agreed 2020 price you will have done very well out of the deal. I would imagine Autotrail will be interested if one of their dealers is messing customers around!
Appreciate that, thank you, very encouraging. Autotrail response will be interesting.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Progress - notification today that our Fiat based Dreamer is built and awaiting shipping. No idea how long that'll take. Ordered in November 2021 from a dealer booked slot, sounds like I could be doing a lot worse.
That's some good news. (y) Mine was ordered in August 21 from a dealer bulk order for April 22 delivery then amended to October.
Keep us posted.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Progress - notification today that our Fiat based Dreamer is built and awaiting shipping. No idea how long that'll take. Ordered in November 2021 from a dealer booked slot, sounds like I could be doing a lot worse.
This is where ours got stuck, find out from the dealer who is responsible for shipping and who the carrier is. Hymer actually chased our dealer to get ours out of their compound and the eventually arranged a specific shipper. I asked if they could track the shipment of our MoHo they said no they could not. Yet when I found out who the company shipping the MoHo were there was a big ‘track your goods’ link on the shippers web page. So I emailed there MD copied the dealer in and surprise I had a dispatch and delivery date within the day.

Upvote 0
Mar 31, 2022
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Kon Tiki 784
Exp
Been caravanning for years but now ordered my first motorhome
We ordered our new Swift Kon Tiki 784 at the M H show in February from Brownhills got a call last Monday to say it had been delivered went t see it last Friday and very pleased with both Swift and Brownhills.
Its our first M H after years with caravans looking forward to getting away in it

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
We ordered our new Swift Kon Tiki 784 at the M H show in February from Brownhills got a call last Monday to say it had been delivered went t see it last Friday and very pleased with both Swift and Brownhills.
Its our first M H after years with caravans looking forward to getting away in it
Blimey.You've done exceptionally well there.I think buying from a uk converter has helped you as I believe the others make RHD in batches at certain times of the year plus we have their summer shutdowns looming.Enjoy your adventures!

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
New van delayed for another month. We were told it was built with delivery week 24 which is June 13th. Now told it will be built in week 24. Hmm. Delivery now without a date. Sounds a bit like 'Free beer tomorrow' (the sign most pubs had cheekily displayed) 🤭 Getting to squeaky bum time for our main trip !

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
New van delayed for another month. We were told it was built with delivery week 24 which is June 13th. Now told it will be built in week 24. Hmm. Delivery now without a date. Sounds a bit like 'Free beer tomorrow' (the sign most pubs had cheekily displayed) 🤭 Getting to squeaky bum time for our main trip !
According to my dealer some orders are showing as complete on the maufacturers systems but some units are awating a missing component before release from the factory can be enabled.
We ordered (Rapido) at the same time as you with delivery April then pushed back to October so we are way off even getting a chassis number let alone a delivery week! Fortunately we have made alternative plans for this year.

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
Encouraging to some, frustrating, I am sure, to many others, we were just told that our Carado T459 has come off the line and should be delivered to dealer in ten days.
In the meantime we have been over to Europe and bought a new T459 LHD and registered it in the UK (just in case ours slipped to after the summer) we will now offer that one on mhf first to anyone who, like us, needs a fill in van for this summer. Get in touch if you are after an immediate, new island bed , face to face lounge van. £5,000 discount for mhf members.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back