American XL Bully dogs to be banned in the UK (1 Viewer)

Should XL Bully Dogs be banned

• Yes

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Yes, along with some other breeds

Votes: 36 46.2%

• Total voters
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It's unclear, but it might already be caught under existing rules as an oversized American Pitbull... which is already banned.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
The problem is identifying the breed. The same will happen as with the American Pit Bull, they will just cross breed it with another breed and then it's not a XL bully. I think XLs came about because of the pit bull ban, they just crossed it with another aggressive breed. I don't profess to know what the answer is, but I don't think a ban is necessarily it.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Especially when the owners are unable to control them

40D30CB5-D8C1-42BC-AD32-E02090205F91.jpeg
44633954-D1A0-4DBE-B3D6-F3FB49FA29E2.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It’s more the owner than the dog.
It's true that a well informed and good owner wouldn't allow this to happen. But there's no competency test for dog ownership. These dogs do have a faster trigger than other breeds. And the consequences of it going sideways is a lot higher with one of these dogs than a spaniel.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
This is not a “blame the owner” topic. Loaded firearms in K9 form shouldn’t be on the streets or in public spaces etc. On private land and for doing a particular job then fine but on the street is a no from me.

Not sure what “ban“ means in this context as i have no bad wishes for these animals, so restrict where they can go is a big yes.

aria

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 2, 2016
Kincardineshire.
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
Trouble is the scumbags will just x-breed something else that’s just as horrible & dangerous.

IMO, what’s needed is proper penalties for those whose dog attacks people or other animals. As in proper jail time, not just banned from keeping a dog for whatever many years.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Trouble is the scumbags will just x-breed something else that’s just as horrible & dangerous.

IMO, what’s needed is proper penalties for those whose dog attacks people or other animals. As in proper jail time, not just banned from keeping a dog for whatever many years.
Laws are already in place. You can be jailed for many years if your dog injures or kills.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
The requirement for a dog licence was done away with when the "mad handbag " was in charge back in 1987, probably under pressure from "Brenda" due to the excessive cost of licensing all them Corgi's.
A licence system should be brought back, but not for the dog, but the keeper/owner of the mutt. The potential owner should be required to attend a course on dog care and handling with a test at the end to establish that this person has the financial where with all and knowledge to keep an animal in a safe and cared for manner. This legislation should apply to any equivalent animal that can be trained to carry out malicious acts against people or other animals.
Mike.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
It’s a really simple case of banning the buying and selling of dogs unless you are a licensed breeder.

The problem is the backyard breeders who keep producing these horrible dogs for the idiots of society.

Thoughts with the poor victims family. 😪

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.

Nailed that right on the head, anytime a dog attacks anything, human or other animal should automatically be a 20 year sentence per victim, those dogs are more dangerous then a automatic machine gun so why the government hasn’t yet banned a whole load of those breeds is anyone’s guess, pure madness, those types of dogs are always owned by the kind of people everyone tries to avoid at night…….🤷🏻‍♂️😡

Last edited:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
It's usually a fault of the owner.

Many a poor dog has been put down due to its owner.

Thing is most dogs will/can turn so when you have one that has almost the strength of a lion it's wrong.

There's many a jack Russell or chewowha that has turned on or snapped at kids. That's not too bad, scratches maybe... but an XL bully ???

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
According to the stats, the breed that bites the most people... Dachshund. But a sausage dog doesn't tend to cause critical injuries.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
did you now !!!!...and what she was holding the 2 dogs at the time....
Fair play to ya both.. :eek: :LOL: the dogs woukd have defo put me off. Woof
Did all three have hairy pits? :Eeek:
Mike.

Oct 25, 2022
Derventio, in the Kingdom of Mercia
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SL
Exp
Since 2018
Its all a distraction, no need to change the law. There's ample existing legislation to deal with these type of incidents under Section 3A Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. Section 3A was an amendment brought in to deal with harms caused by dogs dangerously out of control including on private premises. Sentencing guidelines would appear to be the issue.

The main issue with banning a breed is identifying it as alluded to when Sunak made his announcement. There are so many dogs in pounds now because "experts" can't decide if it fits the breed type of which ever banned breed it is accused of being. So whilst banning a breed is an option, it would be far simpler to up the penalties to serious jail time for having a "dog dangerously out of control" so that even the chavs realise they don't want to pay the penalty when someone gets hurt by their trophy dog. Problem is, courts have "guidance"

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
As proved time and time again, increasing penalties such as adding more jail time has very little effect on offender's behaviour. "It won't happen to me" or "I won't get caught" or "it was fine last time, so it'll be fine this time" prevails. People aren't good at assessing risk.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
And another attack. thankfully not fatal this time.

Comments like “not thought to be life-changing” make me wonder. We all declare our sympathy for the toddler and family concerned, tut-tut the irresponsible owner and move on. However, having suffered such a horrible attack, I wonder what the long-term effects of such trauma are? You can’t go anywhere in the UK without encountering dogs, quite a few of them running free. I imagine it could make life tricky for anybody who has suffered a dog attack.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back