Villandry

Saturday, 26th August 2023

Today we are heading to Villandry, where there is a chateau and gardens right next to a Camping Carpark Aire. Del had planned a route via a supermarket and petrol station so we stocked up on provisions and fuel. We arrived at Villandry around 12.15, found a space and I made lunch. It’s become hotter as the day progresses, we left in dank misty conditions and now it’s blazing sunshine. We waited an hour before getting the bikes out and doing a short bike ride along the shores of the river Loire that runs through the town. Had our first ice creams of the holiday in a little bistro cafe on the high street. Got back to the van just before 4pm. Had an unexpected shower of rain then when it cleared Del went out again on his bike for an hour on a longer bike ride. We did a crossword from my puzzle book along with wine for me and a beer for Del.
IMG_6193.jpeg

Sunday, 27th August 2023

After breakfast and a leisurely coffee we set off to walk up to the nearby Chateau de Villandry. It was 13 euros each to tour both the chateau and the gardens. We started in the chateau with an English guide book for information. The Chateau of Villandry is a beautiful castle, inhabited since the Renaissance. It is one of the most magnificent castles ever built on the banks of the Loire. It is recorded that it has once been the residence of Jean Le Breton, Minister of Finance for Francois l. Previous owners of the Chateau include the Marquis de Castellane, known as the ambassador of Louis XV and Jerome Bonaparte, the brother of Napoleon. The spectacular gardens were created later – in the 1900s, when Joachim Carvallo, a medical researcher from Don Benito, Spain, purchased the property. After looking around the chateau, including a climb up to the roof to take in the magnificent views of the gardens we headed outside to follow the guided route around the gardens listed in our guide book. The gardens are set out like rooms, in pristine condition each with a different theme. I liked the tranquil lake, just green planting with a minimal lake and Del liked the vegetable garden, beautifully set out as much for display as for produce.
IMG_6252.jpeg

After viewing the many garden rooms we headed back to the van, stopping off to buy a fresh baguette for lunch. Later we did a bike ride but I only lasted about 4 miles as my bum really hurts on my new leather saddle. Del went out on a much longer bike ride, about 16 miles to another village with a chateau, Azay Le Rideau.
IMG_6300.jpeg

When he got back, I made a cuppa and he put the bikes on the van.We cooked tea and ate around 7pm.

Heading to Nantes tomorrow.

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Journal entry information

Author
Old Rascal
Read time
2 min read
Views
Last update

Share this entry

“LockMout,”