Castellane

Wednesday 20th September 2023
Del and I were up around 7.30, so after breakfast we started packing up the van. The kids have to be out by 10am but they packed and cleaned the villa and were ready to check out by 9.30. We all went over to The Coffee Lab again for coffee and pastries before the parting of the ways! The kids have to get the car back to Marseilles by 10pm tonight so they plan to visit Cannes snd St Tropez today. They have a hotel by the airport tonight and fly home first thing tomorrow. Del and I had a drive, (along mountain passes similar to the ones we arrived on), to our next stop, Castellane.
b9159d66-c545-4d87-bf45-1e4186bee2d4.jpeg

We arrived around 1.15, and the site was open so we pitched up and I got us some lunch. Unfortunately by 3pm it started to rain quite heavily so we sat the wet weather out in the van! There was a brief period when it stopped raining so we nipped on our bikes to the supermarket to get something for tea.
IMG_7203.jpeg
It started raining again not long after we got home. Had tea and washed up then settled down to watch some tv on my iPad. It’s raining heavily and is actually a little chilly, so different from the weather we’ve been used to! I got ready for bed around 10.15, had a text from Laura to say they’d returned their hire car and were in the hotel bar!

Thursday 21st September 2023
Rain first thing so we took our time over breakfast and fresh coffee. Cycled in to the town centre and called in at the tourist centre. Had a wander round the old town, narrow medieval streets with tall buildings either side. Walked to a 15th century stone bridge called Pont du Roc. In 1815 Napoleon crossed this bridge when returning from exile in Elba.
IMG_7190.jpeg

Bought something for lunch from the boulangerie and called in at the supermarket before going back to the van. After lunch we decided to walk up to the Chapel of Notre-Dame-du-Roc which is situated at the top of a large cliff sided rock that dominates the town. The current chapel dates from the 18th century, although an earlier chapel on the same site was built in the 12th century. It’s just over a mile to walk but that mile is all up hill! Well worth the climb as the views from the top were amazing. Unfortunately we couldn’t go into the church as it’s closed for renovations.
IMG_7241.jpeg

IMG_7234.jpeg
IMG_7238.jpeg

Back at the van we showered after a cuppa, then it started raining again! Spent the evening watching programmes I’ve downloaded onto my iPad.

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Journal entry information

Author
Old Rascal
Read time
2 min read
Views
Last update

Share this entry

Alan Kerr,
“AS