Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Some good chat going on about the exchange rate but I wonder what will happen to the Iveco production line from Italy and if it well continue at 100%. It looks as if Fiat is starting to suffer a few delays (according to my German PVC forum) so perhaps it's just a matter of time!

I'm also keen to see if the current global scenario will start knocking the Morelo order book; i.e. do people really think about changing their new van with so many potential travel restrictions in place.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Chaps, a long day today and I have to say now that motorhome shopping is bl@@dy tough going. We've done 435-miles today and following our 14-hour adventure we arrived home about 30-minutes ago.

The big positive is that we had a great time at Travelworld. The sales guy, Steve, couldn't do more to help and it was a tip-top experience all round.

Sadly, though, both Nicky and I were not at all enamered with the N&B range and in all honesty we were a bit underwhelmed by the brand. There just wasn't anything in the Flairs that could compare to the Morelo van range in terms of spec, quality, design and looks, both internal and external too.

However, the two things that I did like about the Flair was the large 500kg garage and the silver external paint scheme. The wonky-style kitchen was quite appealing too.

I did get a bit ahead of myself when I discovered that I could get the Flair LF (picture below) for sub £200K but then Nicky gave me a slap and said it was nothing like the Morelo - a very fair point indeed so we stopped looking.

After the TW visit we then popped over to Premium so that we could compare the vans while both brands were fresh in our minds. On arrival at Premium we both concluded there and then that it was nice to see the Morelo vans again; just so much better than the Flair in every sense possible (IMO!!).

That being said, we did take a detailed look at the second hand 18-plate Morelo Home at TW and I was a bit surprised to see that the carbon effect decals on the sides were perishing badly. There were also whole sections of the van's external panels that were starting to yellow with entire panels being different colours to other neighbouring sections. All I got from Nicky at this point was "I'm not parting with £250K of our hard earned cash if the Morelos look this bad after only 18-months on the road".

A few pics below,

All the best,

Andrew

1. Flair 920LF:
20200305_133046.jpg

2. This is an example of the perishing Morelo carbon effect decals but there were many more examples like it on the rest of the van.
20200305_125521.jpg

3. And the yellowing of the body; one of many - and I do mean many!
20200305_130509.jpg

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Nice report Andrew. The N&B Flair appeals to me in aesthetics, but they don't do a layout to suit us. We want a long couch queen bed set up. But like you we feel that the Morelo offers so much more pound for your buck. Disappointing to see that yellowing and the carbon graphic problem. Can anyone shed anymore light on why that has happened possibly ????

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We had a 920LF in Champagne (silver) and was the basis of my previous comments. I rejected the Carbon Graphics of the Morelo for maintenance reasons but have found a very successful way of caring for it. That said I have it on the front cap which was applied by Morelo without my agreement but it has a benifit of protecting the front from stone chips. Nevertheless I would not have it on the side walls but because of looks rather than maintenance. The yellowing of the GRP panels is a common issue with GRP again due to poor maintenance and care none of which is an issue if you have a painted van. But do not be fooled into a sense of security by selecting a painted solution I had my fair share of issues with my Flair.
I think feedback by Peter OurMoreloLife will be of value as he has a Palace of greater vintage than the one you have pictured so it will be good to know how his GRP has faired.
Michael

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Big day out Andrew and Nicky, if you are going to spin this out for 4 or 5 years you really need to take it easy, the Flair looks great but certainly in the past the finish has not been without issues, I have seen a lot at the factory with pitted chrome work before even getting out to customers, and then the well known paint issues. Have you seen the price of the paint option now?

I understand that the "carbon optic" film can be a challenge to keep nice and one of the problems seems to be that if you get polish onto it it gets ingrained in the texture of the film and is a bugger to get off again, I have been told that a "magic sponge" is well, "magic" at this task and indeed Santa brought me a pack of three for Christmas.

Yes fibreglass panels can yellow if not looked after, I have seen some old Flairs like ours with very yellowed front caps but ours was OK, a good wax with UV protection is a must I would say.

We have friends who own the first MORELO that Premium brought into the UK in 2015 it still look good.

Martin

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Hi,

Our 'vintage' Morelo is 2.5 years old now. Whilst the Carbon is a pain to keep looking nice I thnk it adds design cue's that make it look less like a truck. I also like it without the Carbon so I suppose it's up to personal choice. Our Morelo was spec'd by someone else so it has the carbon but given the choice, I would not have selected that option. The Magic Sponge is indeed the way ahead for caring for the vinyl (along with the appropriate solution that you can buy). Help Michael, please. Using de-ionised water when washing also helps care for the vehicle and keep limescale away from the carbon vinyl. Looking at the photo you supplied, I reckon that white deposit will come off using the correct product and the sponge.

We have no issues with the colour of any of the panels fading and she still looks lovely. (photo was taken last October when it was 2 years old)
Morelo Palace in Morelo Service Centre Sept 2019.JPG

If the GRP panel fading is severe, but you love the vehicle, you could consider seeking a large discount to fund a vinyl wrap (even in the same colour as the original white) to restore it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Big day out Andrew and Nicky, if you are going to spin this out for 4 or 5 years you really need to take it easy, the Flair looks great but certainly in the past the finish has not been without issues, I have seen a lot at the factory with pitted chrome work before even getting out to customers, and then the well known paint issues. Have you seen the price of the paint option now?

I understand that the "carbon optic" film can be a challenge to keep nice and one of the problems seems to be that if you get polish onto it it gets ingrained in the texture of the film and is a bugger to get off again, I have been told that a "magic sponge" is well, "magic" at this task and indeed Santa brought me a pack of three for Christmas.

Yes fibreglass panels can yellow if not looked after, I have seen some old Flairs like ours with very yellowed front caps but ours was OK, a good wax with UV protection is a must I would say.

We have friends who own the first MORELO that Premium brought into the UK in 2015 it still look good.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Rest assured sir that this project is not going to take years. If we don't order/buy this year then I doubt very much if we'll do it next year as I'll be well and truly bored with the whole process by then. Nicky and I are also receiving daily bulletins from our overseas estate agents saying that the various houses that we are interested in are tumbling in value by upwards of €100K so that is becoming an ever more attractive option as the year progresses.

Back to the TW in-stock Morelo Home for a second: The carbon effect decals were truly shocking and the only thing I can conclude is that the quality of the materials being used is poor at best. I've speclised in decals on my show cars for many years (you've seen the pics) but I've never glimpsed anything like those on the Morelo in my 20-years in the hobby.

If anyone does get the chance to inspect the externals of the 2018 Morelo at TW then I would appreciate their respective thoughts on the bodywork as it wasn't just the end caps that were nicotine stained; the whole van has issues from the side panels and end caps to the skirts and the lockers to the upper and lower van trims. I'm sorry to say but it's a total mess and only 18-months old too.

If a quick dose of Autoglym is all that is needed when the van was new then that's good news but there was more to it than that from what I saw.

How about a coffee catch-up when we come back from the Highlands?

All the best,

Andrew

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Team,

The 920LF Flair and a standard Palace are both on the same chassis so why does the Flair have a 500kg garage capacity and the Morelo only 250kg?

I've been under both and can't see any difference in the rear chassis legs.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin,

Rest assured sir that this project is not going to take years. If we don't order/buy this year then I doubt very much if we'll do it next year as I'll be well and truly bored with the whole process by then. Nicky and I are also receiving daily bulletins from our overseas estate agents saying that the various houses that we are interested in are tumbling in value by upwards of €100K so that is becoming an ever more attractive option as the year progresses.

Back to the TW in-stock Morelo Home for a second: The carbon effect decals were truly shocking and the only thing I can conclude is that the quality of the materials being used is poor at best. I've speclised in decals on my show cars for many years (you've seen the pics) but I've never glimpsed anything like those on the Morelo in my 20-years in the hobby.

If anyone does get the chance to inspect the externals of the 2018 Morelo at TW then I would appreciate their respective thoughts on the bodywork as it wasn't just the end caps that were nicotine stained; the whole van has issues from the side panels and end caps to the skirts and the lockers to the upper and lower van trims. I'm sorry to say but it's a total mess and only 18-months old too.

If a quick dose of Autoglym is all that is needed when the van was new then that's good news but there was more to it than that from what I saw.

How about a coffee catch-up when we come back from the Highlands?

All the best,

Andrew
Give me a shout when you are back as we should be out to MORELO end of the month(y)

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Team,

The 920LF Flair and a standard Palace are both on the same chassis so why does the Flair have a 500kg garage capacity and the Morelo only 250kg?

I've been under both and can't see any difference in the rear chassis legs.
I don't know, but I would have thought the Palace would take more than 250kg, where did that figure come from? you can put a car in the garage of a 90G

Martin

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I don't know, but I would have thought the Palace would take more than 250kg, where did that figure come from? you can put a car in the garage of a 90G

Martin

Maybe the structural strength of the floor loading regardless of what the underlying chassis would take.

But then why put such a limit in for a few €?

Geoff

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Martin
Could it be the diminishing load effect? are the wheelbases/weight distribution the same?

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
It has struck me while reading this thread that people with upmarket MHs are understandably wanting to protect them with coverage (Physical not insurance), but also have the space to do it, compared with people who cannot fit a 7m MH on their driveway.

I've just come across your comment after searching the thread again for other info - and you make a very good point Geoff.

Nicky and I are off house hunting in the Highlands tomorrow and one of the purchase criteria is having sufficient access to the home for larger vehicles.

There's one house that we'll be viewing which comes with a 13m x 6.5m barn and, although ideal for my toys, I am having some serious doubts (from sat imagery) on whether a motorhome can inch itself up the access road. We do know that the tree logger uses the track but it has 6 wheel drive!

IMO there's certainly more to buying a big MoHo than just handing over the readies.

Andrew

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Team,

We had a great time in Scotland albeit the house hunting agenda didn't quite go to plan.

........and here are a few of my thoughts on Liner ownership after our trip:

1. It's clear as day that any of the Liner types are not suitable for the hills and small roads of the Scottish Highlands - or at least not where we intend to set up shop. I've included a few pics of one of the properties that we are considering below and, as you can see the tracks would be a fair challenge for any Liner-class MoHo. We struggled in the Globecar at one point and this was before the snow came down.

Question: Do any of you guys ever take your vans up North and if so then how do you cope?

2. The exchange rate - enough said but the cost of the Morelo Palace on our Premium order form has just rocketed by £25K in 2-weeks.

3. Insurance: With the purchase price of Morelos being stipulated in Euros then what figure do you guys declare to the NFU; i.e. we requested an initial NFU quote for a MoHo with a £250K RRP value and now the same van is set @ £275K with the current €1.09 exchange rate.

4. LHD or RHD choice: Personally speaking I have many years of experience with LHD vehicles having lived for years abroad but, that said, I would still have come unstuck on the Scottish hill tracks if I had been driving a LHD Liner van. My thinking is that it would probably benefit us having a RHD vehicle for use on the more challenging roads of Scotland since, after all, it is approx 650-miles from the Highlands to Dover so we would certainly get use out of a RHD vehicle.

5. The virus: OK, so we don't know what will happen in the future but is there any point in buying an expensive unit for it to sit in a state of redundancy on the driveway for the next umpteen months. Probably not!

A few pics of the driveway (it's just over 1km long):

Initial approach:
Screenshot_20200316-183404_Gallery.jpg

Private access route:
Screenshot_20200316-182637_Gallery.jpg

Final approach (just as the snow begins to fall):
Screenshot_20200316-185317_Gallery.jpg

The next morning when we left the area:
Screenshot_20200316-183439_Gallery.jpg

An interesting excersie indeed!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Andrew

Those roads look OK to me, was your problem a traction one? big van or RWD is much better than a small van FWD.

We ordered when the exchange rate was 1.11 Jen said well it can't get any worse than this :LOL: I am slowly loosing faith in her advice but at least we bagged all ours at 1.18 so if we sell them back today we could make £25k.

We are insuring for what it costs us in £.

LHD for me and I can't see any reason to go RHD unless you don't plan on ever going over the water and you want to be tied into buying your next van in the UK as well as the foreign dealers don't want RHD but UK dealers are OK with LHD.

Think positive;)

Martin

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Andrew

Those roads look OK to me, was your problem a traction one? big van or RWD is much better than a small van FWD.

We ordered when the exchange rate was 1.11 Jen said well it can't get any worse than this :LOL: I am slowly loosing faith in her advice but at least we bagged all ours at 1.18 so if we sell them back today we could make £25k.

We are insuring for what it costs us in £.

LHD for me and I can't see any reason to go RHD unless you don't plan on ever going over the water and you want to be tied into buying your next van in the UK as well as the foreign dealers don't want RHD but UK dealers are OK with LHD.

Think positive;)

Martin

Ah, yes-yes-yes, a very good point Martin about LHD but I would be terrified to drive that close to the ditches, overhangs, branches and granite faces in a precious bit of kit.

The 3rd pic doesn't really show the severity of the incline but yes, I struggled in our FWD Globie - I did lose traction at the top albeit going downhill was easy, that is, until we revisited the initial approach where our 3.85T mass and momentum almost took the van into the ditch; 7.5T would be dangerous for this particular track.

Thanks for the points on the €-£ and the purchase price - very useful sir.

Once you and Jen take delivery then you must visit us in the Highlands in the Morelo. We can test it out.

All the best,

Andrew

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Team,

We had a great time in Scotland albeit the house hunting agenda didn't quite go to plan.

........and here are a few of my thoughts on Liner ownership after our trip:

1. It's clear as day that any of the Liner types are not suitable for the hills and small roads of the Scottish Highlands - or at least not where we intend to set up shop. I've included a few pics of one of the properties that we are considering below and, as you can see the tracks would be a fair challenge for any Liner-class MoHo. We struggled in the Globecar at one point and this was before the snow came down.

Question: Do any of you guys ever take your vans up North and if so then how do you cope?

2. The exchange rate - enough said but the cost of the Morelo Palace on our Premium order form has just rocketed by £25K in 2-weeks.

3. Insurance: With the purchase price of Morelos being stipulated in Euros then what figure do you guys declare to the NFU; i.e. we requested an initial NFU quote for a MoHo with a £250K RRP value and now the same van is set @ £275K with the current €1.09 exchange rate.

4. LHD or RHD choice: Personally speaking I have many years of experience with LHD vehicles having lived for years abroad but, that said, I would still have come unstuck on the Scottish hill tracks if I had been driving a LHD Liner van. My thinking is that it would probably benefit us having a RHD vehicle for use on the more challenging roads of Scotland since, after all, it is approx 650-miles from the Highlands to Dover so we would certainly get use out of a RHD vehicle.

5. The virus: OK, so we don't know what will happen in the future but is there any point in buying an expensive unit for it to sit in a state of redundancy on the driveway for the next umpteen months. Probably not!

A few pics of the driveway (it's just over 1km long):

Initial approach:
View attachment 369901

Private access route:
View attachment 369902

Final approach (just as the snow begins to fall):
View attachment 369904

The next morning when we left the area:
View attachment 369906

An interesting excersie indeed!

I agree Andrew, we took our 8.33 metre 6.4 tonne S820 to Scotland, isle of Skye and highlands, in my opinion not suitable, really really struggled up steep hills and sharp bends with me saying never again.

I then extensively researched PVCs 4x4s 5.91 metres merc.
The best I found were CS reisemobile independent or Rondo 4x4, Murvi Morello 4x4 but no good for 2 people and a dog if someone wants a lie in.

I also looked at RP motorhomes who introduced one

We then settled on a 6.48 metre A class twin rear wheel drive 3 litre, flies up Sutton bank in 4th, incredible power.

I wouldn't live or tour where you are proposing with an 8 metre plus 6 or 7 tonner, just my opinion, they are best for long tours to Spain, Morocco and the continent with main roads.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I agree Andrew, we took our 8.33 metre 6.4 tonne S820 to Scotland, isle of Skye and highlands, in my opinion not suitable, really really struggled up steep hills and sharp bends with me saying never again.

I then extensively researched PVCs 4x4s 5.91 metres merc.
The best I found were CS reisemobile independent or Rondo 4x4, Murvi Morello 4x4 but no good for 2 people and a dog if someone wants a lie in.

I also looked at RP motorhomes who introduced one

We then settled on a 6.48 metre A class twin rear wheel drive 3 litre, flies up Sutton bank in 4th, incredible power.

I wouldn't live or tour where you are proposing with an 8 metre plus 6 or 7 tonner, just my opinion, they are best for long tours to Spain, Morocco and the continent with main roads.

Cheers Paul, some fantatsic advice there sir.

Our search criteria corresponded with the following roads and/or locations and if you're familiar with them then you'll know my concerns:

A835 - Ullapool.
A832 and A890 - Garve to Skye Bridge.
A86 - Spean Bridge to Kingussie.
A939 - Nethy Bridge to Braemar.

We had a number of 'moments' in the PVC and, needless to say, my good wife asked if these locations were suitable for a big posh van.

The only other option would be to keep it in Durham but I am uneasy with that idea - and I am sure the insurance company would just love that - not!!

All the best,

Andrew

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I tend to agree with all that has been said to be honest. LHD for the short trip to Portsmouth for the ferry to Spain or onto Eurotunnel to France is fine and not too stressful. I have really gotten used to LHD in the UK too so it does get easier.

I found some hills up through France rather challenging when loaded to 7.1T for our holiday so had the ECU remapped (Quantum Tuning - £300) when we got home and the additional 90NM (or 19%) torque improvement is like a night and day difference. Also, when going up a steep incline, with that huge overhang at the rear, you must remember to lift her skirt up or the back end can catch the ground. It's easy enough to do, harder to remember to do it in time though!!

1584476888129.png

As previously said, I too quote the £££ equivalent in terms of value for insurance.
Chubb is one of the best policy's but pretty expensive.

See their Masterpiece brochure info attached below

Agreed value
If the amount of cover is Agreed Value, the sum insured for Your Vehicle is shown in Your Policy Schedule.

Extended replacement cost cover
However if the cost of replacing Your Vehicle shown in Your Policy Schedule exceeds the sum insured for Your Vehicle which is the subject of the claim;Your Vehicle shown in Your Policy Schedule is less than 15 years old; and the sum insured for Your Vehicle shown in Your Policy Schedule is less than £500,000
We will pay the cost of replacing the Vehicle shown in Your Policy Schedule with a Vehicle of the same make, model, specification, mileage and age, and in the same condition as Your Vehicle immediately prior to the covered loss, up to 150% of the sum insured shown in Your Policy Schedule for Your Vehicle which is the subject of the claim.

Attachments

• MasterpieceMotor.pdf
    235.9 KB · Views: 3
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Thats like a Motorway compared to our lane where I'm considering a Charisma liner (used) because the liner or a Palace at 100mm wider is too wide, this is one of the reasons we ve had our Arto so long.

I take lorries up tracks like that (as long as Ive been assured that its the right one and there is somewhere to turn at the end) but the difference is in the traction, as Martin says there's a big difference in those circumstances between fwd v rwd+diff lock.

Although Morelo produce a rhd IMO the liner market is a LHD market, more choice and more options when it comes to change. We do mostly european so LHD is perfect for us and soon as we re way from home size is less of a problem but maybe if you intend to do mostly Highlands you should consider downscaling a bit, afterall anything is going to give more space than a PVC

Jon

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thats like a Motorway compared to our lane where I'm considering a Charisma liner (used) because the liner or a Palace at 100mm wider is too wide, this is one of the reasons we ve had our Arto so long.

I take lorries up tracks like that (as long as Ive been assured that its the right one and there is somewhere to turn at the end) but the difference is in the traction, as Martin says there's a big difference in those circumstances between fwd v rwd+diff lock.

Although Morelo produce a rhd IMO the liner market is a LHD market, more choice and more options when it comes to change. We do mostly european so LHD is perfect for us and soon as we re way from home size is less of a problem but maybe if you intend to do mostly Highlands you should consider downscaling a bit, afterall anything is going to give more space than a PVC

Jon
:LOL: I had to laugh (we all need one at the moment) Jon, for the benefit of Andrew Blue Knight I wouldn't even want to take our car down what Jon calls a lane, four of us did walk it one day pretending to be a wheel at each corner and it's a challenge.

Thankfully I have no intention of trying it for size no matter how many times you ask.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back