ZX81 schematic how does it compare? (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Having a sort out and came across this leaflet for the ZX81 built by my brother many years ago, how's it compare to a modern computer, fewer wires and ic's?

PXL_20230220_172402903 (1).jpg
PXL_20230220_172408208.jpg

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Mine has stopped working now, or to be more exact, the modulator that converts the signal so you can see it on a normal TV.
Well remember the excitement of seeing my text displayed. Bought the extra RAM then spent hours typing in programs from magazine.
May dig it out again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Any external connections as shown in the first diagram will be on a multi-core data or power bus. Indeed looking again, even at that early stage the it looks as though the interconnects were effectively handled that way.

As Lenny HB states it would all be on (probably a small part of) a small chip albeit orders of magnitude faster and more powerful. Moores law says that processors double in size roughly every 18 months so it's been exponential growth for over 40 years!

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Having a sort out and came across this leaflet for the ZX81 built by my brother many years ago, how's it compare to a modern computer, fewer wires and ic's?

View attachment 718601View attachment 718603
Great. Thank for sharing. (y)

It has all the basics blocks for showing a Computer model for educational purposes (not surprising tho :LOL: ). I’m intrigued by the Sinclair Computer Logic chip. I’ll have to see what that was adding. Edit: proprietary I/O management - maybe. HO
& I wonder why the edge connector didn’t use sequential numbers for the address and data busses 🤔

Edit2: some of my Q are A here: https://retroisle.com/sinclair/zx81/techdetail.php
The tape input is managed in the SCL and as that is also the video gfx chip, that’s why we had the TV showing we were using the tape drive :rofl:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I’m intrigued by the Sinclair Computer Logic chip. I’ll have to see what that was adding.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I wonder why the edge connector didn’t use sequential numbers for the address and data busses
That was likely for no other reason than ease of routing. Back then PCB's were designed and layed out by hand. Double sided boards were rare and even harder to design.
Ease of routing would have been a higher priority than keeping the edge connector in numerical order.

I was designing PCB's by hand in the early 80's and even single sided ones that were more than just a basic device were tough to get right first time.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
That was likely for no other reason than ease of routing. Back then PCB's were designed and layed out by hand. Double sided boards were rare and even harder to design.
Ease of routing would have been a higher priority than keeping the edge connector in numerical order.

I was designing PCB's by hand in the early 80's and even single sided ones that were more than just a basic device were tough to get right first time.
Sorry, memory lane tangent.
I’ve only built small single sided PCB and just when on the 1st year of an electronics apprenticeship. Well, I don’t remember using vias to link two sides so think they were only single sided. :lol
But I did testing, fault finding & modifying on 14 layers circuit boards and multi-wire circuit boards. The latter were very expensive but products only usually needed one for the analogue signals I/O.
Towards the end of that career, the products were cloud based ☹️😭

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp

I think it was double sided board, but even then it was probably down to keeping the layout as simple as possible wiithout having long winding tracks, or more likely more plated through holes which puts the cost up.
I did loads of layouts myself back then but analogue not digital, less complex in some ways with less tracks, but as we were dealing with higher currents, and some RF, that caused other problems in layout design.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
But I did testing, fault finding & modifying on 14 layers circuit boards and multi-wire circuit boards.
I bet those weren't designed by hand :p

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Red and blue tapes used for double sided at four times the size to be photo reduced at the pcb house. I remember it well. Boards were priced by the number of vias so it was crucial to design well!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Four times size sound like pure luxury compared to the normal 2 times.
My first boards were drawn on by hand direct to the copper. For context I was 10 or 11 years old and I was a radio amateur who was interested in packet radio. I didn't get my license until I was 14 so built stuff for a friend of the family.
It wasn't until I went to secondary school I got access to acetate sheet and photo resist PCBs. But even then we used this horrible tape or markers directly onto the acetate. I seem to recall letraset was used as well at one point.
Not sure it saved any time to be honest. But we were learning so not an issue.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back