ZTE MU5001 ts9 (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I don't necessarily think that, but I went to the bother of installing a Poynting MiMo Antenna on the roof, so I wish to utilise that for whatever router or MiFi I connect to it. That clearly wasn't the case with the ZTE MU5001, due to the TS9 ports being for 5G signal only, which I was disappointed about. :(
I'm never anywhere near 5g in the MH, which seems to be more available in city/town centre areas, and as mentioned previously, whilst WiFi compatible, none of our devices are 5g compatible...........despite the Poynting 4g/5g Antenna.

Cheers,

Jock. :)
You can still use 5g signal with a non 5g device, 5ghz wifi just unlocks speeds above 144Mbit. (thats about most you can get on 2.4). 5g signal with a 2.4ghz wifi signal will just mean you are less congested to the cell in effect, but you will cap performance at the wifi layer.

5ghz signal is very different from 5g too, as 5g can go to around 5Gbot, where 5ghz wifi tops out in real world at 800Mbit (so to use 5g to it's fullest extent you need dual 1G links to the router.... or even 10G)

Worth noting wifi also performs in general at speed of slowest device connected so upgrading devices connected may be "useful". That said, all that, I too only run 2.4 ghz in my van at moment as in reality I rarely need > 80Mbit when on road. When we upgrade I'll add wired ports though for times I need it.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
North Norfolk (and just across border in Lowestoft) is odd with Three as some sites they have done some upgrades in some areas but not others.

We picked up B32 and B28 coverage at Kessingland last week, where last year 4g was poor on Three there and only had B3/B20 and those were both horribly congested. 3g was better in fact last year... this year we didn't need to turn off 4g, and it was home broadband like (about 80 down!).

However we were up in Cromer surrounds West Runton the week before and it ONLY has B20 in some areas still, so is still very poor if you cant pick up the B3 coverage (and B28 wasn't live).

Our bank holiday trip next week is to the races at Yarmouth on the bank holiday weekend (we fancied the horses so staying middle of the racecourse given there IS a race the Sunday). We know theres no issues there as both 4 and 5g are home like as the cell tower is ON the site.
Thanks for the explanatory info. šŸ‘

We are up the hill at Sheringham High School, on a C&CC THS to be exact, and less than 100 x metres from a phone mast. šŸ¤·

Today, sending an email with 5 x images (email standard only), took 12 x minutes from send to completion. :(

Cheers,

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
You can still use 5g signal with a non 5g device, 5ghz wifi just unlocks speeds above 144Mbit. (thats about most you can get on 2.4). 5g signal with a 2.4ghz wifi signal will just mean you are less congested to the cell in effect, but you will cap performance at the wifi layer.

5ghz signal is very different from 5g too, as 5g can go to around 5Gbot, where 5ghz wifi tops out in real world at 800Mbit (so to use 5g to it's fullest extent you need dual 1G links to the router.... or even 10G)

Worth noting wifi also performs in general at speed of slowest device connected so upgrading devices connected may be "useful". That said, all that, I too only run 2.4 ghz in my van at moment as in reality I rarely need > 80Mbit when on road. When we upgrade I'll add wired ports though for times I need it.
The Archer MR600 router is dual band, automatically switching where necessary. šŸ¤·
Every time we come here signal strength is poor, but I seem to remember that when with Vodafone, my internet seemed to be much better.

Cheers,

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
The Archer MR600 router is dual band, automatically switching where necessary. šŸ¤·
Every time we come here signal strength is poor, but I seem to remember that when with Vodafone, my internet seemed to be much better.

Cheers,

Well, sort of, it's dual as in both same time for supported devices but in reality it's 2 sepearte networks sharing one Internet, and the 2.4ghz only goes to N, so limited to about 50Mbit in reality.

And a key point is it has zero B32 support.

I just googled the spec sheet in the radio side and:
1723757864884.png

Worth bothing it won't bind B20 + B28 (which Three likes to use), not does it have any B32 (1500mhz) support. Why I mention this is in North norfolk it's B32 they are adding (1500mhz) as it's further reach than B3, as fast, and it's wide (ie, per timeslot it moves about 4x the data of a B20 connection). ie, your device has some limitations on bands it'll bond, but is missing the largest capacity frequency in use by Three at moment on their 4g towers..

In North Norfolk and suffolk borders -> Three ARE adding B32, Kessingland had zero B32 only last Sept/Oct, and it was live in May. Last year it WAS terrible, but it's good this year.

But to be honest it's B28 you'll benefit most from as mentioned before... thats the key one in these parts as it's most useful in lower population areas as it goes miles, and is faster again than Band 20 (twice as fast per slot).

But in reality I'd stick with Three in short term, just was reading an article about their submissions to ofcom about the "pending" Vodafone merger, which will unlock around $11 billion in investment in upgrading cell towers if approved (at moment it's a bit limited as neither company is investing lots in short term until decision made.) Effecttively Three and Vodafone will potentially be one network (and it'll likely be majority Three design, given Vodafone have less frequency slots). Moving to Vodafone before this merger may be a waste, given they'll probably move you right back again over 6 months after. Final decision from competition and markets authority due now in Nov to Dec timeframe apparently.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Well, sort of, it's dual as in both same time for supported devices but in reality it's 2 sepearte networks sharing one Internet, and the 2.4ghz only goes to N, so limited to about 50Mbit in reality.

And a key point is it has zero B32 support.

I just googled the spec sheet in the radio side and:
View attachment 936061

Worth bothing it won't bind B20 + B28 (which Three likes to use), not does it have any B32 (1500mhz) support. Why I mention this is in North norfolk it's B32 they are adding (1500mhz) as it's further reach than B3, as fast, and it's wide (ie, per timeslot it moves about 4x the data of a B20 connection). ie, your device has some limitations on bands it'll bond, but is missing the largest capacity frequency in use by Three at moment on their 4g towers..

In North Norfolk and suffolk borders -> Three ARE adding B32, Kessingland had zero B32 only last Sept/Oct, and it was live in May. Last year it WAS terrible, but it's good this year.

But to be honest it's B28 you'll benefit most from as mentioned before... thats the key one in these parts as it's most useful in lower population areas as it goes miles, and is faster again than Band 20 (twice as fast per slot).

But in reality I'd stick with Three in short term, just was reading an article about their submissions to ofcom about the "pending" Vodafone merger, which will unlock around $11 billion in investment in upgrading cell towers if approved (at moment it's a bit limited as neither company is investing lots in short term until decision made.) Effecttively Three and Vodafone will potentially be one network (and it'll likely be majority Three design, given Vodafone have less frequency slots). Moving to Vodafone before this merger may be a waste, given they'll probably move you right back again over 6 months after. Final decision from competition and markets authority due now in Nov to Dec timeframe apparently.
WOW, a mindful of information, some of which went WHOOOOOOOOOSH, however, your bottom paragaraph is the one that will stick in my mind. When abroad with Three, and especially in Spain it's been excellent, though less so in France.

I am seriously considering having a look at what Scancom has to offer in the way of data sim cards.

As always starquake, thankyou for your input and knowledge on the subject. (y)

Much appreciated,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
WOW, a mindful of information, some of which went WHOOOOOOOOOSH, however, your bottom paragaraph is the one that will stick in my mind. When abraod with Three, and especially in Spain it's been excellent, though less so in France.

I am seriously considering having a look at what Scancom has to offer in the way of data sim cards.

Much appreciated,

I have just bought a 3 scancom SIM for home Jock 500GB per month until 11/2026 Ā£130 then bought a ZTE MC888 5g router for Ā£120 it's working much better than my BT broadband which I am cancelling the end of the month.
This is a data SIM only with no roaming.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for the explanatory info. šŸ‘

We are up the hill at Sheringham High School, on a C&CC THS to be exact, and less than 100 x metres from a phone mast. šŸ¤·

Today, sending an email with 5 x images (email standard only), took 12 x minutes from send to completion. :(

Cheers,

Vodafone is better there EE is carp

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Keep an eye on their offerings on Amazon rather than direct as we managed to pick-up a 500Gb/month 3 data sim valid to Nov/2026 on offer a month or so back for a one off cost of Ā£90.(y)
Found it, and now Ā£129.99, which is still excellent value over the 26 x months. I'll look at that sort of data allowance again, when my home broadband contract expires in Dec 2025. ;)

Cheers,

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I have just bought a 3 scancom SIM for home Jock 500GB per month until 11/2026 Ā£130 then bought a ZTE MC888 5g router for Ā£120 it's working much better than my BT broadband which I am cancelling the end of the month.
This is a data SIM only with no roaming.
Nice one Dave. (y) I hadn't seen your post before I posted above.

Cheers,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Found it, and now Ā£129.99, which is still excellent value over the 26 x months. I'll look at that sort of data allowance again, when my home broadband contract expires in Dec 2025. ;)

Cheers,

Think we might have got ours on/around "Prime day" but you didn't have to be a Prime member!(y)

I know it's a few months down the road but within your timeframe for home broadband, wonder if they'll have it on offer again on "Black whatever day" on Amazon?:unsure:

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
No probs and btw, with your device I would not upgrade, yet, -> wiat on the Three merger with Voda, then lets see what frequencies they keep then you can work out which device may be worth changing to. I suspect in next year several new 5g bands will become available so if you happy with the Archer, keep it at least 12 months would be my advice as unlike most you DO support the band 28 thats of most use to motorhomers in rural spots.

In theory with a merger, there "may" be a massive B20 + B32 allocation between them (over 75% of all frequencies in use) meaning both long range and high bandwidth (you are talking > 1Gbit on 4, not 5g if Three keep the Voda B32). Either way with Voda+Three owning the majority of frequencies below 1Ghz they will potentially be the best for motorhoming in future "assuming it's approved"

Literally they'll have most of 900mhz, 800mhz (ans same as O2 and EE on 700) allocations as well as ALL the 1500mhz (B32) if ofcom keep the status quo,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back