ZTE MU5001 ts9 (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
We used a Reglo sim in out Huawei B535 earlier this year and it was brilliant, never failed even in small mountain villages.
I had a 4G sim €13.80 for 200gb payment setup on my Revolut card so about £11.50, next time I will get the 5g sim at €14.80 for 300gb
Can i ask what you mean b
Update.........

Our ZTE MU5001 has been returned for a full refund, and I have resurrected a TP-LINK Archer MR600 4G router. I just have to get a DC conversion lead from a Micro USB to 5.5mm x 2.5 jack, to power it off our 5v USB supply.

With discovering that the TS9 ports were only responsive with a 5g signal reception, I really wasn't happy that my Poynting MIMO roof mounted antenna would be redundant, as not only are we are never in a 5g area, we don't have any 5G compatible devices.
The speed tests with the Archer MR600 Cat 6 router, both with the portable antennas as well as the roof antenna, appear to be better than those same tests carried out on the ZTE Cat 20 MiFi. :Eeek:
Go figure. 🤷

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Can I ask what you mean by aerials only good for 5g? Do you mean 5g cellular or 5g wifi cheers. I have a zte mu5001 and notice I still get 5g cellular without the aerials connected

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Can i ask what you mean b

Can I ask what you mean by aerials only good for 5g? Do you mean 5g cellular or 5g wifi cheers. I have a zte mu5001 and notice I still get 5g cellular without the aerials connected
Sorry what would you like to know

The antenna worry is the fact that the antenna ports on the Mu5001 only work on 5G
As was the worry according to the information available at the time, so rather than carry on struggling I reverted to equipment I already had which was tried and tested. (y)

HTH,

Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
so if the antenna ports at the back work only on 5g, how the heck am i getting a 5g 2bar signal with it sitting on my window sill with no aerials connected to it, when i do connect them it does nothing at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
so if the antenna ports at the back work only on 5g, how the heck am i getting a 5g 2bar signal with it sitting on my window sill with no aerials connected to it, when i do connect them it does nothing at all.
what i mean by nothing at all is it makes no difference to the signal i still get 2 bars

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp

what i mean by nothing at all is it makes no difference to the signal i still get 2 bars
Maybe they only come into their own in a very poor signal area, when antennas are connected. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers,

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As was the worry according to the information available at the time, so rather than carry on struggling I reverted to equipment I already had which was tried and tested. (y)

HTH,

My understanding of the aerial set-up on the MU5001 is it has two distinct internal aerials, one for 4g and one of 5g.
1722409620293.png

The external aerial sockets enhance the 5g reception by connecting an appropriate aerial.

All 4g connections are achieved by using the internal aerial however a modification can be done, and there are a few companies offering this service, where these internal aerials are ported to external sockets. Note, this conversion disables all internal aerials and the unit will only receive a signal using the external aerial connections shown in the photo below!

1722407942998.png

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
This mifi is a mobile one, so doesn’t need antenna it’s just it may help it when fixed inside a Motorhome.
They do come with small antennas anyway.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
My understanding of the aerial set-up on the MU5001 is it has two distinct internal aerials, one for 4g and one of 5g.
View attachment 930031
The external aerial sockets enhance the 5g reception by connecting an appropriate aerial.

All 4g connections are achieved by using the internal aerial however a modification can be done, and there are a few companies offering this service, where these internal aerials are ported to external sockets. Note, this conversion disables all internal aerials and the unit will only receive a signal using the external aerial connections shown in the photo below!

View attachment 930026
Thanks for that information Gellyneck, confirming for me at least, that I was right to return ours. It's no wonder that connection of the excellent Poynting MIMO 4G/5G roof antenna, showed no difference to my 4G signal. :(

Cheers,

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks for that information Gellyneck, confirming for me at least, that I was right to return ours. It's no wonder that connection of the excellent Poynting MIMO 4G/5G roof antenna, showed no difference to my 4G signal. :(

Cheers,

Remember, Jock, it's only my understanding (I think I'm correct) but others may have a different view!:whistle2:

What we have experienced is the internal 4g aerial seems to give a similar signal strength to our old Huawei using a Poynting mimo aerial but is highly subjective as not done any detailed testing.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
View attachment 930031

View attachment 930026
Sorry JockandRita just realised I was talking a heap of p15h in previous post!:doh:

The connections I pointed out are the wifi aerial connections and not the network aerial connections!:doh::doh:

There are actually 6 of these inside as marked below.

1722420813026.png

Believe it's MIMO1 and MAIN2 used for the existing external aerial sockets.:unsure:

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Steady on there Tiger. ;)
ID Mobile deals taken out after June 2023, only include 30Gb maximum for roaming. Mine was taken out just before, so I am loath to part with it. :dance2:

I did get a good deal on a Portugese sim card when out there, at 100Gb for €15 a month, useable in the EU.

Cheers,

Sorry to jump in to this thread. I have a pre 2023 ID unlimited sim and only just heard that I can use all the data in the EU as long as you don’t appear to live there. I have been in Norway for two months using an IQ Go sim which I must say has been fantastic even working in long tunnels. But for £20 you only get 100 Gb and we appear to be using 5 to 6 Gb a day so getting through our 100Gb in 20 days which is not a problem except it causes a bit of data anxiety. Because if we run out will have no data to pay for more. So I wondered if I took my ID unlimited sim which is only running the house for security cameras solar panels and for keeping an eye on my HomeAsistant installation, for touring Europe and put a smaller one like the £2 a month ones mentioned here in the home router.
So has anybody actually used a legacy contract ID sim for extended periods in Europe. Does it work well, many people say Three is the worst! Or any other comments. I can see how much my house has used when Iget back to see what amount of data I need for that.
Hope all this makes sense.
starquake you have mentioned before about very cheap business sims on Three, I do have a limited company.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hope all this makes sense.
starquake you have mentioned before about very cheap business sims on Three, I do have a limited company.
We've got a 500Gb/month Scancom 3 sim in our new MU5001. One off upfront cost of £90 valid until Now 2026
Might be worth a look see for you.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We've got a 500Gb/month Scancom 3 sim in our new MU5001. One off upfront cost of £90 valid until Now 2026
Thanks, I won’t know how much data we have used in the house on idle until we get home because ID have introduced a new app which requires signing up to and they send a text for verification to the sim which is in the router at home! But I don’t think it will be much so was looking at a 25Gb one last night on Amazon. But thanks I will look at Scancom.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Yeah we picked up a 80Gb/mo spare for the backup for the main house for £40 in the Amazon sale last month (valid until Nov 26 like Gellynecks) -> so I can program autofailover so can check the ring doorbell if the main house internet goes down.. The sweet spot is those 500Gb 3 sims Gellyneck mentions at moment, Unlimited (which isn't Unlimited, its a 1Tb limit, so double) costs more than double the 500Gb sim, and our usage (even when LIVING in the van full time) is nearer 300Gb.

You can with multiple sim deals get under the scancom pricing direct with 3 business via a phone call -> you'll need to haggle and say you've seen deals from the likes of scancom to get them to lower. I have quite a few (4 now) unlimited sims via 3 business (full data) for £5/mo each, direct with them but a friends business is getting them at £3/mo but he has nearer 100. I purchased the £40 via scancom one as I can't get them to go that low on the smaller bundles or I would have just added another sim to our business contract. I should edit this to say my company has been using Three for over 8 years now, so they are dead keen to keep us (our total bil is £50/mo for 2 handsets (ie with calls), and 4 data sims).

The advantage of going with 3 business direct over scancom is you CAN get the sims to roam for an additional payment (however, that payment is MORE than a reglo 300Gb sim in France, so you can guess which option we will take - £20 was my quoted price for 12Gb, or £6 a day for "no limit". A reglo sim is around 12 of our English pounds.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks, I won’t know how much data we have used in the house on idle until we get home because ID have introduced a new app which requires signing up to and they send a text for verification to the sim which is in the router at home! But I don’t think it will be much so was looking at a 25Gb one last night on Amazon. But thanks I will look at Scancom.
They do various "capacity" Sims that may be closer to your needs.
Our Scacom one was through Amazon

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Should also say look at Scancom via amazon not on their website. The amazon site is far better organised and better priced.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Very interesting ID Mobile have just sent my usage for the last two months we have been away. The only use has been my SolarEdge and Octopus systems sending usage data every minute or so to the cloud and me occasionally connecting to my security cameras and my HomeAssistant switching lights on and off for security some of which are controlled via the cloud rather than locally. My usage has been 72Gb which I am amazed about so I will need one of the larger sims linked to. I am amazed.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Thats the joy of sims you can move them when things chaneg. The unlimited EE one we have in van has been in 3 seprate houses prior as a temporary fix for some friends.

Thats why my own main house was "backupless" for last year as if needs must I could have drove to the storage site for van, rettrieved the unlimited sim and swapped... .and it's why I only need a 80Gb one @ home as it only has to last half a week until I can have time to swap the van and house sims.

Sometimes a smaller (cheaper) sim like the £1.50 a month (ie, £40 for 3 years one) ones from scancom does job... Ocasionally we have need for > 2Tb of data in one location too, so we have been known to swap the sim mid-month for another unlimited. Children and gaming consoles can eat a lot of data when updates are 100Gb these days. We actually use a dual sim router similar to the old telotnicas at that site, so we can swap with some automation when it detects > 800Gb uses since 1st of month. Blame some very data intensive children at a site where "home broadband" still won't be supplied.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I posted on a thread the other day about how good the ZTE mu5001 with EE business sim was , well that put the kybosh on it, last few days it’s mostly been rubbish, struggling to open photos on here.
We’re on a THS in Darley Dale and did see download of 155mbps on 5G but not now !!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks , I will check out when on better signal, on a THS near Scarborough and signal on Ee is very poor
Suffering the same dire signal strength on the North Norfolk coast with Three, so the trial with the TP-Link Archer MR600 in the MH, isn't going too well at the moment. :(

The signal is so poor, that the blooming smart phone (also on Three) was showing 21.25hrs as a network time, instead of 17.25hrs. :doh:

Not long after arriving here, I had a warning message about roaming outside the UK. :Eeek:

Cheers,

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I wonder why you think the Archer will be better than the Zte.
I’ve dropped Smarty for 1p mobile (EE) and EE business for the ZTELink and been very pleased except for this location Silpho THS

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Suffering the same dire signal strength on the North Norfolk coast with Three, so the trial with the TP-Link Archer MR600 in the MH, isn't going too well at the moment. :(
North Norfolk (and just across border in Lowestoft) is odd with Three as some sites they have done some upgrades in some areas but not others.

We picked up B32 and B28 coverage at Kessingland last week, where last year 4g was poor on Three there and only had B3/B20 and those were both horribly congested. 3g was better in fact last year... this year we didn't need to turn off 4g, and it was home broadband like (about 80 down!).

However we were up in Cromer surrounds West Runton the week before and it ONLY has B20 in some areas still, so is still very poor if you cant pick up the B3 coverage (and B28 wasn't live).

Our bank holiday trip next week is to the races at Yarmouth on the bank holiday weekend (we fancied the horses so staying middle of the racecourse given there IS a race the Sunday). We know theres no issues there as both 4 and 5g are home like as the cell tower is ON the site.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I wonder why you think the Archer will be better than the Zte.
I’ve dropped Smarty for 1p mobile (EE) and EE business for the ZTELink and been very pleased except for this location Silpho THS
I don't necessarily think that, but I went to the bother of installing a Poynting MiMo Antenna on the roof, so I wish to utilise that for whatever router or MiFi I connect to it. That clearly wasn't the case with the ZTE MU5001, due to the TS9 ports being for 5G signal only, which I was disappointed about. :(
I'm never anywhere near 5g in the MH, which seems to be more available in city/town centre areas, and as mentioned previously, whilst WiFi compatible, none of our devices are 5g compatible...........despite the Poynting 4g/5g Antenna.

Cheers,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back