Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
My employer issued them for access to the corporate network.
I’ve had a USB one & a USB-C type.
Both worked well.
Tho the USB-C one was always kept powered and blinking with the PC turned off. 🤬
But that was a Laptop design issue. Only the older USB sockets could have their power off status changed in BIOS settings 🤷‍♂️

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have been using one for around 10 years now. Recently they are becoming usable on more and more services. To name a few that I use it on.
Google, Gmail, Youtube.
Facebook
Twitter
Paypal
Github
Slack
AWS
Salesforce
BitWarden
Ebay (Kind of)

I am sure there are others. I absolutely love it. It is currently the best way to secure your important accounts. It beats auth apps on your phone or SMS auth for 2FA.
Well worth the money and highly recommended.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
Well worth the money and highly recommended.

Do you know if they work with the main high street banking apps and websites? I went onto the Yubico website and couldn't find an answer one way or the other. I am the world's worst at changing passwords, because I simply cannot remember what I have used as a password, and often get locked out of accounts, until I can speak with customer services and get a new password authorisation. I have tried all the various password managers, but they are not foolproof as on occasions they have been known to 'forget' a password leaving me high and dry.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Do you know if they work with the main high street banking apps and websites? I went onto the Yubico website and couldn't find an answer one way or the other. I am the world's worst at changing passwords, because I simply cannot remember what I have used as a password, and often get locked out of accounts, until I can speak with customer services and get a new password authorisation. I have tried all the various password managers, but they are not foolproof as on occasions they have been known to 'forget' a password leaving me high and dry.
How I’ve used a Yubikey it’s been as an additional security check.

The yubikey part works as a second authentication layer.
So you’d still need to remember a password and then additionally use the Yubikey authentication step to complete the login.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
No, unfortunately. As far as I am aware most banks use their own methods and don't support the industry standard FIDO methods. I know HSBC provide a little device with a screen. And on the phone they rely on the fingerprint reader. I don't know what other banks use.

Please note this does not for the most part replace the password, it augments it.

As for password managers forgetting passwords? Never heard or experienced that sorry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back