You couldn't make it up, disaster trip 2024

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Good news, chaser .
I'm glad it all turned out well for you.
I strongly suspect that the reason you have had good service from so many people, is a reflection of the way in which you and Julie have approached them. (y)
Enjoy your future trips! 😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Reading this with interest as we broke down in France last Sunday with our Iveco based van which is still in France waiting to be brought home in about 15 working days.

I'm certain its the flexplate between the engine and torque converter, both certainly buggered(horrendous noise), hoping 8zf is ok!
I've now been told that the part is a Reactive recall and Iveco only do this if it breaks🤬 Apparently some flexplates had the shims spot welded at the factory which caused a weakness in the metal, they now supply them as separate parts!

I'd missed the post on Fun that advised of this possible fault and Steve Greenhalgh said he had told me but I obviously hadn't listened!
I had prepared the van well for the trip and would have been a fairly easy check if I'd known to inspect!

Insured with NFU and breakdown with RAC Arrival.

My advise to others is be very careful how you describe what happened to the breakdown and insurance companies, one wrong word and they'll try to get out of paying. It became a living nightmare!!
Fortunately the French recovery company Garage Vin Depannage got things sorted for us.

Also make sure the phones are fully charged at all times as you will be reliant on them, lost count of how many calls we had to make!

Looking forward to getting it back home but not looking forward to the bill. Our roads are too small for an Arctic with the motorhome on top so it will have to be taken to a commercial yard😔

Its made me question whether I ever want to go abroad again.
Can I ask what year your van is? I was aware of the flex plate problem when we bought the Palace but believe that it is only vehicles sometime before 2019 (ours is 2019 chassis and supposed to be OK)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Great result! We’ve been talking about moving from Nationwide Flexplus account to LV for breakdown, on the back of this

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I think it's all to do with Carcassonne. We broke down there the first trip in our present van 12 years ago and there is another Funster who broke down there very recently too. I think it's the Carcassonne Curse, beware.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I think it's all to do with Carcassonne. We broke down there the first trip in our present van 12 years ago and there is another Funster who broke down there very recently too. I think it's the Carcassonne Curse, beware.
I have always wondered how the French made their Aires pay, maintenance, water, waste and electricity (sometimes) must cost a community a small fortune and, I know people say that they spent in town but I've never believed it covered the cost.

Perhaps the people of Carcassonne have perfected a sting ray that causes havoc with the modern motorhome mechanics?

Brings a completely new meaning to the saying, "Aires brings business to the community!" 😄

OP
OP
chaser
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Do you know the weight, length and age restrictions with Brittannia rescue (LV).

Screenshot_20241013-091835.png

OP
OP
chaser
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Do you know the weight, length and age restrictions with Brittannia rescue (LV).
I have looked but can't find any age restriction it says any vehicle that is legal on British roads.
Out van is 08

OP
OP
chaser
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know I keep going on about this and never using breakdown before but seeing all the horror stories about breakdown firms.
I honestly don't know what else LV could have done for us, amazing service.
No arguments about anything even suggesting stuff we could get that we wouldn't have thought about asking for.
Amazing service.
No questions about services or anything no one saw the van but just looked after us as if it was a brand new van.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I know I keep going on about this and never using breakdown before but seeing all the horror stories about breakdown firms.
I honestly don't know what else LV could have done for us, amazing service.
No arguments about anything even suggesting stuff we could get that we wouldn't have thought about asking for.
Amazing service.
No questions about services or anything no one saw the van but just looked after us as if it was a brand new van.
We had much the same experience with LV this year when our car was written off had a replacement within ten days all payed up and didn’t lose any no claims😊👍

OP
OP
chaser
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Great result! We’ve been talking about moving from Nationwide Flexplus account to LV for breakdown, on the back of this
I don't want anyone changing their present arrangement on my say so.
As I said I have had breakdown insurance for getting on for twenty years with various companies and thankfully never had to use it, so I don't know how other firms work , might well be better than the service we have had, but I certainly won't be going with anyone else after this.
It's almost unbelievable what you read about other people's experience with their breakdown experience after what we have seen.
If we hadn't have had LV to do everything for us we wouldn't have had a clue what to do and could well have run into thousands of pounds before we even got off the motorway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back