You couldn't make it up, disaster trip 2024 (11 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ok then garage said between 2 and 4 thousand pounds and the repatriation was alleged to be 7 thousand so after a lot of thought I said ok do it then and they would do it before the date they said.
So that's back tracking a bit as I had got to the car hire in my last post , so nothing was going to happen for at least a week so we got this car and headed for the coast, about an hour later when we were about three miles away I run up a broken kerb and burst the tyre so no spare and Julie gets on the phone to hertz which took about an hour while we sat there in the middle of nowhere.
Anyway eventually another breakdown truck arrives and loads the car up , remember it only needs a new tyre and no mention of what we are supposed to do.
The lorry driver was pretty good though and took us to a street away from our hotel.
Never seen hide or hair of this car or another one since , so we had an hire car for an hour :doh:and to be honest this put me right off driving the van back.
Anyway we got this studio overlooking the sea and had 6 days there.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Where I park
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
Since 1977
Charlie, can you not just get your camper bought back with the guy your using before they repair it so you can get it home and then fix it saving you a big French bill.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Itā€™s just how you use your MH. We do 200 miles in the UK each year and 9000 overseas so chances are we are going to breakdown overseasā€¦.
We do less than a 1000 in the UK and 8000-9000 abroad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
While we are at canet there's phone calls back and forth, and I have completely gone off driving in France, the garage is supposedly got the parts and going to do it so I don't go back on my word and left them to it then I found out about this other bloke.
So cutting a fair bit out now the insurance offer to pay for us to go home, but they reckon it's going to cost Ā£300 each to get us back and they couldn't really go to that much and yet ryanair from Carcassonne to east mids was only Ā£36 each on telling them this they said they don't do ryanair but if we booked it they would pay us back.
So at this point,just fed up of the whole thing, and book Ryanair online on my phone and get the tickets sent to my phone.
Then , bugger me my phone packed up, couldn't get get my email or the tickets.
So try to get my email sent to Julie's phone, I have the email address and password but what did Google insist on doing but sending a code to my bloody phone that wasn't working.
That's why my messages on here went a bit sparse.
So I have an old phone with a broken screen in the van so got to return to Carcassonne to get my old phone to see if I can get all my stuff back, well managed it and got our flights back on Wednesday.
Right not been on to the garage to see if it's done, but had a bill off hertz for a tyre and for not returning the car with a full tank, how the hell I was supposed to do that when they had took the bloody thing and never saw it again.
Now a new development but not sure if this will come off or not, but my son and his mate say they will fetch it and got on to LV and they are prepared to pay for their flights and taxi from the airport to the garage and the breakdown policy will still be in force for them.
So thinking about that now .
But the top and bottom of it is we are home and the vans still there.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know this sounds like a advert for lv breakdown insurance, but I just couldn't believe what they were prepared to do for us, we didn't make use of a lot they offered us as having seen horror stories on here about breakdown companies we couldn't believe half of it was serious, and it still keeps on coming.
Never having used breakdown before it came as a complete surprise, and they didn't argue about anything.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
You've certainly been through the mill on this trip Charlie.
I know you've posted before that you may give up travelling abroad, and that would be a shame if you never enjoyed your holidays in Gravelines again.
But all is not lost, even if you decided your cross channel days are over, remember there are lots of great places in the UK to visit and I know you enjoyed a dabble with pub stops a year or two ago.
Get the old girl back, fixed up and on the road for more travels.
Apart from anything else, what would you do with your new Jackery thingy ?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I know this sounds like a advert for lv breakdown insurance, but I just couldn't believe what they were prepared to do for us, we didn't make use of a lot they offered us as having seen horror stories on here about breakdown companies we couldn't believe half of it was serious, and it still keeps on coming.
Never having used breakdown before it came as a complete surprise, and they didn't argue about anything.
Based on your experience I'm going to look at LV breakdown cover at next renewal

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know you've posted before that you may give up travelling abroad, and that would be a shame if you never enjoyed your holidays in Gravelines again.
But all is not lost, even if you decided your cross channel days are over, remember there are lots of great places in the UK to visit and I know you enjoyed a dabble with pub stops a year or two ago.
That ecoflo thing was another revelation, it was really working well , we hardly used any gas even though the weather wasn't the best but it's still in the van, so hope it hasn't been nicked.

Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Totally agree some great places in the UK. My van is getting a bit long in the tooth so using it a bit more in the UK now. Hope you get it sorted chaser and have some more great trips in it

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Totally agree some great places in the UK. My van is getting a bit long in the tooth so using it a bit more in the UK now. Hope you get it sorted chaser and have some more great trips in it
Yes I know it's been a disaster but now we are back and can look back , we have had this van getting on for 10 years now and never had a missed beat in 3000 miles continental travel every year apart from lockdown so if it gets repaired properly and we get it back for not much money it still won't stand at a lot.
It's just that when you are there and can't do much about the stress it really gets to you.
Hertz are the biggest b....... Just can't get your head around what they did to us, could have been kids or dogs or old people and they just left us in the middle of nowhere, no call to see if we were ok or anything.
And how they could say we took it back without filling it, how could we if we hadn't got it.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
I feel like a welfare coach listening to someone with PTSD. Itā€™s scaring me witless, the idea of being stuck.

So frustrating for you and you managed it so well it seemed to us at the time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back