you cant make it up ! (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
I took my winchcombe in for a engine and garbox service, when i picked it up they told me they took it for a test drive ( not sure why )_ but anyway as they did so the oven door glass exploded !! so now i have to try and find a thetford caprice 3 door, any ideas ? would other thetford doors fit ? cant see then being radically differant.. not one to miss an opportunity my carer says, or a new cooker !

ideas please ?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If its probably just a slide in rectangular piece of tempered glass try your local glass supplier to make one up for you. Probably a lot cheaper than an original

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
Probably a silly question but why would the oven glass door explode?
Surely not heat as the oven wasn’t on (?)
Hit a massive bump, all wheels in the air?
Perhaps others have experienced this?

Apr 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Timberland Endeavour
Try O'Learys in Grimsby or trawl eBay "caravan spares"
I tried to get a glass hob cover for my Caprice without luck but I have ordered a piece of toughened glass from a glass supplier but you need the exact size and thickness.
Hope this helps,
Cheers Dave
OR get the people who service the van to find one-they were driving it!!!!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I took my winchcombe in for a engine and garbox service, when i picked it up they told me they took it for a test drive ( not sure why )_ but anyway as they did so the oven door glass exploded !! so now i have to try and find a thetford caprice 3 door, any ideas ? would other thetford doors fit ? cant see then being radically differant.. not one to miss an opportunity my carer says, or a new cooker !

ideas please ?
Hope they're going to pay for it when you find it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
Hope they're going to pay for it when you find it!
they already have in a way - they were so embarressed they knocked 400 quid off the bill. To my mind Mertrux Derby have been excellent about this. They even tried ringing Brownhills but it was late friday afternoon so fair play to them.

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
wife has now said, well we may as well have a new cooker then... not much differance if i can source one ( thetford caprice mkiii oven door ) might be about 100 or so quid - new cooker about 1100 plus fitting ... sighs
:eek:

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 640
Exp
Since 2014
Daft as it may seem, toughened glass can just explode for no apparent reasons. The manufacturing process "locks in" stresses into the glass.
I used to be involved with the inspection of glass insulators for overhead transmission lines. You'd be walking round a warehouse and one unit, in a pallet load, would just explode. It was like a gun going off.
Your garage may just have been unlucky.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000

Or

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's

ideas please ?
If you are at Lisa's Drax event in August there is a caravan spares place close by - might be worth a visit?

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
wife has now said, well we may as well have a new cooker then... not much differance if i can source one ( thetford caprice mkiii oven door ) might be about 100 or so quid - new cooker about 1100 plus fitting ... sighs
You'll never have any peace if you don't go for a new oven now - she's ALWAYS right, sod the expense!!

Fix the old-un & sell it on here?

Mar 24, 2024
Church Leigh, Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff
Exp
Since 2009
Took our previous MH for a service a couple of years ago and when we collected it the gas grill had completely sheared off and was hanging down on the grill pan! Also a small necklace of mine which had been on a hook in the bathroom was on the floor!
Goodness knows where they took it for a test drive, we didn’t feel we could blame them but we never went back!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Only replace it if you use it. We haven't used our oven for well over a year now, 'we' use an air fryer, microwave etc. Would the £1100 be better spent on a large lithium and decent inverter ....and make use of the oven space? You could always keep the oven somewhere safe if you ever sell ....??

Try going without the oven a few times to see if you can manage ....?

Feb 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1974
Probably a silly question but why would the oven glass door explode?
Surely not heat as the oven wasn’t on (?)
Hit a massive bump, all wheels in the air?
Perhaps others have experienced this?
As a cooker engineer of many years it’s one of those things that can happen with oven glass doors.
Don’t need to be hot.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
I'm thinking of replacing mine with a low wattage microwave, hardly use the oven and a pita bending down to make sure its still lit.
Might be a good time to ask the question if you really need it.

Graydo

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Try O'Learys in Grimsby or trawl eBay "caravan spares"
I tried to get a glass hob cover for my Caprice without luck but I have ordered a piece of toughened glass from a glass supplier but you need the exact size and thickness.
Hope this helps,
Cheers Dave
OR get the people who service the van to find one-they were driving it!!!!
O'Learys is the other side of the Humber between Hull and Beverley, unless they have opened a second branch

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
There is the Caravan breakers at Drax as Vin says.
It shows on Lisa map ( just on the right) on the Drax 3fs map entry

Sep 21, 2016
Stortford
Funster No
MH
La strada Avanti
Exp
Since 2013
Ten years motorhoming; never felt the need for an oven. Remoska cheap alternative. You can do a lot with £1100. Tell the missus that she can use the vacated space as a wine store.

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
If its probably just a slide in rectangular piece of tempered glass try your local glass supplier to make one up for you. Probably a lot cheaper than an original
If only

Daft as it may seem, toughened glass can just explode for no apparent reasons. The manufacturing process "locks in" stresses into the glass.
I used to be involved with the inspection of glass insulators for overhead transmission lines. You'd be walking round a warehouse and one unit, in a pallet load, would just explode. It was like a gun going off.
Your garage may just have been unlucky.
WOW

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
Its the outer i need, the one thats bonded to the frame, anyway i looked into that and wife decreed " get a proper one " so as i say, we may, or many not have an oven door when we leave in 5 weeks for foreign shores.
Oh and I suggested well you dont use the oven much do you ? Only on almost every meal you eat she replied. Shows my observational powers........ Im just the bloke at the front with the steering wheel, - what do i know ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
anyway, after I exausted all possibilities of someone having one in stock or lying around i went to leisure spares who patiently explained as its extinct now it has to be specially made at the factory. it will cost me 90 quid which is better than a new cooker i suppose. But here is the thing - WHY ?? I cant believe its nessesary to have so many models doing the same thing and then changing them all a couple of years later -its madness - is it me ?

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
Only replace it if you use it. We haven't used our oven for well over a year now, 'we' use an air fryer, microwave etc. Would the £1100 be better spent on a large lithium and decent inverter ....and make use of the oven space? You could always keep the oven somewhere safe if you ever sell ....??

Try going without the oven a few times to see if you can manage ....?
my she who must be obeyed has now said she is considering taking our air fryer - who knew ? of course, if " I " had suggested it ... ;)

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
speaking of marriage, i had no idea i could be wrong so many times a day every day of my life since meeting her, how fortunate i married her dont you think ? i could walk and talk just fine and then I met her, i feel so lucky

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
You'll never have any peace if you don't go for a new oven now - she's ALWAYS right, sod the expense!!
You're right.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back