Yes. Yes.... A toilet thread - serious question - best toilet brush for Thetford toilet bowl (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 7, 2023
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Lots of toilet threads on here but cannot see any comments on best brush for the bowl (not the cassette).
Out ancient Fiamma plastic brush has finally broken so I'm looking for a replacement brush.
The Kampa one seems ok but a bit flimsy. Don't like the look of the Thetford "mop".
These new thin silicone paddles seem to have taken over the market.
Any recommended slimline ones that you can stick to the side of the toilet?
Serious answers only unless you're really bored of The OlympicsšŸ¤£
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hygena-PREMIUM-Silicone-Slimline-Brushes/dp/B0CW3X2V4M/?tag=mhf04-21
[/Q

Mar 7, 2023
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Lots of toilet threads on here but cannot see any comments on best brush for the bowl (not the cassette).
Out ancient Fiamma plastic brush has finally broken so I'm looking for a replacement brush.
The Kampa one seems ok but a bit flimsy. Don't like the look of the Thetford "mop".
These new thin silicone paddles seem to have taken over the market.
Any recommended slimline ones that you can stick to the side of the toilet?
Serious answers only unless you're really bored of The OlympicsšŸ¤£
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hygena-PREMIUM-Silicone-Slimline-Brushes/dp/B0CW3X2V4M/?tag=mhf04-21

Wow

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have just been to Castle Garden Centre to buy a spray bottle, Ā£15.95!!! Sherborne is like that but weā€™re off to Vanbitz tomorrow. Too mean to pay that but on my way home I noticed a sign to Screwfix , recently opened, whatever next, Lidl. Not if Valerie Singleton has anything to do with it of course.

We are now the proud owners of this. Fully adjustable spray.
IMG_1191.jpeg

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
This chat about brushes has just reminded me that our old Itasca RV we had in the US had a spray nozzle on the end of a flexi pipe and we never needed a brush as the jet did the job with very little water. I'm sure it was a Thetford. Are UK and European converters just too penny pinching to fit them?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Marauder

Free Member
Nov 14, 2020
S.Yorks
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP
Exp
20 yr
_
Use mist setting on spray to moisten bowl before use. Good aim is great, but with a moistened bowl, any marks can be squirted away using the jet setting on the spray. I wont have a scabby brown brush dripping muck anywhere near my bathroom !!

Should now be using green environmental fluid which does not kill septic tanks & the environment like the old blue or pink versions do.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
_
Use mist setting on spray to moisten bowl before use. Good aim is great, but with a moistened bowl, any marks can be squirted away using the jet setting on the spray. I wont have a scabby brown brush dripping muck anywhere near my bathroom !!

Should now be using green environmental fluid which does not kill septic tanks & the environment like the old blue or pink versions do.

I use the old pink fluid but only weakly diluted and in a spray bottle. I'm sure it doesn't really kill anything but it just smells nice and I use so little anyway it can't possible harm anything. In fact, I'd be quite happy at the dilution I use to put it in my spetic tank at home without any issue :)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I just use an old spray cleaner bottle :)
I did check that first but none were close to being empty, well one was but it broke undoing it. It was more of a furniture polish and was years old, the plastic shattered!

• HeartHug
Reactions: HKF
OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Thanks for all the enlightening comments. "Ghosters" added to my vocabulary!
Looks like the sprayers are the majority of replies.
We have the Thetford toilet mist spray but obviously you need a mini jet spray to make a "clean bowl". Like the Screwfix adjustable spray bottle.
Need to persuade Mrs Kups to give it a go, might take some time šŸ˜ƒ

Jun 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T-line
Yes, we are almost experts in this manoeuvre albeit we are newbies. It's one of the first lessons we learnt thanks to the other toilet threads available on the forum. Precision is a must. We also use the paper 'cross' as a method of protection. Who'd of thought, after all these years of using a toilet eh?
What on earth is the paper cross?

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
The smooth surface of the plastic bowl works very well, with a little help from water and pink stuff generally. Once you use a scratchy brush, you introduce new problems. Perhaps the Romans had the best solution.
Before and sometime during a trip I use a good wait wax polish or sometimes just Autoglym fast wax spray omn the bowl. Keeping it very slippery helps a lot.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
What on earth is the paper cross?
You take 2 pieces of toilet roll and lay them across the flap, take 2 more and lay them across the other 2 forming a cross of paper over the flap (flap closed). Do what you need to do then flush just a little water (glass full maybe) and open the flap. If all went to plan and your aim was on spot, the whole lot just disappears into the void. Happy toileting campers šŸ˜€

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
Another recommendation for the happy bowl liners.
We have an old fairy liquid bottle filled with water that we use for cleaning any marks

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
2 sheets of loo roll, open flap, crack on, Dunelm brush to persuade anything left down the hole, close flap, short flush, clean brush & bowl, open flap, close flap, short flush to seal cassette, repeat if necessary, job jobbed šŸ˜‚

Reactions: HKF
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
The Thetfod bowl is one of the few plastic things in a motorhome that seems to take the abuse :eek: - nearly 5 years full-timing using a selection of bog brushes and still the bowl looks shiny and new.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Started with Happy Bowls from recommendations on here but not always easy to buy & expensive so DIY version https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/budget-alternative-to-happy-bowls.267017/ combined with a spray works well. Solbio is our toilet cassette treatment of choice & diluted Bio D disinfectant https://biod.co.uk/shop/household-cleaning/bio-d-home-garden-sanitiser-5l/ (good for all cleaning) in the spray bottle means no need for a toilet brush. Our Dometic toilet bowl is a porcelain model so do think that helps & the Twusch liners https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/ceramic-tiolet-insert.233479/ are a good, albeit expensive, option to upgrade the loo.

Jul 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
damon daybreak
Exp
We tried a brush but after some splashback I looked for a better option.
Search toilet douche kit, plumbs into water and wash skid marks away, easy to install, no splashback and convenient

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
We tried a brush but after some splashback I looked for a better option.
Search toilet douche kit, plumbs into water and wash skid marks away, easy to install, no splashback and convenient
A douche kit sounds a bit water hungry, is it? The great thing about the spray bottle is how little water it adds to the cassette contents.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back