Yes. Yes.... A toilet thread - serious question - best toilet brush for Thetford toilet bowl (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Lots of toilet threads on here but cannot see any comments on best brush for the bowl (not the cassette).
Out ancient Fiamma plastic brush has finally broken so I'm looking for a replacement brush.
The Kampa one seems ok but a bit flimsy. Don't like the look of the Thetford "mop".
These new thin silicone paddles seem to have taken over the market.
Any recommended slimline ones that you can stick to the side of the toilet?
Serious answers only unless you're really bored of The OlympicsšŸ¤£
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hygena-PREMIUM-Silicone-Slimline-Brushes/dp/B0CW3X2V4M/?tag=mhf04-21

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Lots of toilet threads on here but cannot see any comments on best brush for the bowl (not the cassette).
Out ancient Fiamma plastic brush has finally broken so I'm looking for a replacement brush.
The Kampa one seems ok but a bit flimsy. Don't like the look of the Thetford "mop".
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hygena-PREMIUM-Silicone-Slimline-Brushes/dp/B0CW3X2V4M/?tag=mhf04-21
I have one of those at home, but for cleaning the outside of the shower cubicle, it just fits in the space.
The toilet brush i got with the van is the exact same as my old pot washing brush from the pound shop šŸ¤£
Find a good soapy microfibre cloth works ok for the pan.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
For the purpose it serves we bought a brush from one of the pound shops when we bought the van eight years ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Clog The Worst GIF

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I had one of those, not good, I just have a cheapy standard brush now.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Trigger bottle filled up with diluted Thetford Pink stuff does the job for us, still using the same bottle of Pink stuff that we bought for the caravan 8 years ago.
You can adjust the spray from a powerful jet, to normal spray, it wont discolour the bowl, plus not pushing the water flush each time makes the cassette last longer between emptying.
When you become a Thetford WC Expert you aim to not touch the sides, whats known as a "Ghoster" in the toilet movement discussion forums.(y):giggle::cool:
LES

Last edited:
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
When you become a Thetford WC Expert you aim to not touch the sides, whats known as a "Ghoster" in the toilet movement discussion forums.(y):giggle::cool:
LES
Yes, we are almost experts in this manoeuvre albeit we are newbies. It's one of the first lessons we learnt thanks to the other toilet threads available on the forum. Precision is a must. We also use the paper 'cross' as a method of protection. Who'd of thought, after all these years of using a toilet eh?

Nov 18, 2022
Holmfirth, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 135
My feeling is that you need to keep the plastic bowl as shiny as possible and that brushes would scuff the surface. So I use a rolled up piece(s) of toilet paper as a disposable brush combined with a pink spray. A successful ā€œghosterā€ always sets up the start of a Good Day. (And vice versa ā€¦)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The smooth surface of the plastic bowl works very well, with a little help from water and pink stuff generally. Once you use a scratchy brush, you introduce new problems. Perhaps the Romans had the best solution.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Our new van has one of the flushes from the mains tank. I couldnā€™t believe how much water it used . You canā€™t do a tiny press like youā€™d do after a wee in the old vans with the separate tank so Iā€™ve got to get a bottle . Iā€™d just bought some new pink Thetford not realising about the different loo.

Anyway, Nick showed me a YouTube video of a couple with a Consort Oslo like us. I could hardly bear to watch it but I was interested in their storage ideas! Not the flower pots and Yankee candles theyā€™d stuck to work surfaces!!

But I suddenly noticed in the bathroom they had a toilet brush hanging loose on a hook! It would just drip down the wall and they had a furry shower mat. How disgusting is that.

We donā€™t use a brush.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Another vote for a hand spray. I think ours came from a garden centre. Just water no chemicals, donā€™t want to destroy the septic tanks or pay for unnecessary chemicals.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It depends on what you are wanting to use the brush for. If it is just general cleaning of an otherwise clean bowl then a spray bottle with a very diluted domestic cleaning product and a rub with a baby wipe will do the trick, or the cleaning wipes you can buy specifically for the purpose.

If, however, it's to remove some obvious 'residue' after an ablution, then a disposable gloves and toilet roll followed by the cleaning method I mentioned. We actually have one of the little MH ones bit it never gets used as the last thing I want is a stinky brush ... Don't know why we have it to be honest! šŸ˜„

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I couldnā€™t believe how much water it used . You canā€™t do a tiny press like
You can there is a knack to it.
However mucky are these loos that they need disposable gloves and wet wipes, must admit I only keep my disposable gloves in case I have to deal with other peoplesā€™ bodily fluids!
Use mine when grovelling under the van or changing a wheel I ain't touching other peoples body fluids. :giggle:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You can there is a knack to it.

Use mine when grovelling under the van or changing a wheel I ain't touching other peoples body fluids. :giggle:
I am still deciding whether or not to give you a heart attack by posting a picture of our MPPT controller. I decided it wouldnā€™t be fair as I wouldnā€™t be there to administer CPR, talking about gloves and other peopleā€™s bodily fluids!!

Apr 28, 2017
UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envy 185
Exp
since 2002
I second the cheap Ikea brush used 3M "velcro" strip to stick to cabinet. Perfect!
17227629021942697956654913232591.jpg

Mar 7, 2023
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Omg

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
Looking at it the other way, an approach might be not to soil the bowl in the first place. "Happy Bowl" liners are a modest cost, biodegrade, and make a massive amount of difference to the amount of water used in flushing. So our routine is to use the liner as advised, then a quick spray with a dilute bio laundry liquid.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Either, do as TinaLes do and poo straight down the hole, or line the loo with some paper before you poo. Then use a trigger spray with Thetford Pink (I just love the smell of that!). If you do that, a damp micro cloth is all that's needed to clean it :) No manky loo brush hanging around. Those new paddle ones look no better than traditional ones for harbouring bacteria šŸ˜²

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looking at it the other way, an approach might be not to soil the bowl in the first place. "Happy Bowl" liners are a modest cost, biodegrade, and make a massive amount of difference to the amount of water used in flushing. So our routine is to use the liner as advised, then a quick spray with a dilute bio laundry liquid.
Last thing I want is more crap in the cassette especially when wilding.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back