Working from a motorhome / campervan (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
S

STEVEN YOUNG

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Funster No
The two of us have worked from the van (6.1m PVC) -- both abroad and in the UK. (Both have jobs that can be done wholly online). If we are both working, one sits at the table in the rear lounge, the other up the front in the swivelled passenger seat which also has a small table. The experience for our employers/customers has been seamless. That means having a back-up plan for 99% of eventualities, so multiple mi-fi devices in case one fails, multiple SIMs to ensure coverage, spare phones, data back-ups (easier in these 'cloudy' days), spare machines, etc., so a fair bit of planning required for surviving a couple of thousand miles away from base. The person in the rear gets the option to use the TV as a second monitor. We've done it off-grid too, using 12v power supplies for all the equipment (a couple of 100Ah batteries and solar panels) -- we also now have a hard-wired 19v power supply for one laptop/PC in the rear lounge that works off the 12v system.

In the early days (you learn from experience) when working without a spare machine, my laptop developed a keyboard fault. One of the letter keys stopped working: I got around this by using the escape code sequence for that character. The next day another key stopped working. This continued until half the letters didn't work, so eventually composing a simple email using escape codes became like programming an enigma machine! These days I would have a spare.

The voice of experience! I have made a mental note re extra sims and spare machines! Defintiely needed . Love the setup you have. Sounds spot on.

OP
OP
S

STEVEN YOUNG

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Funster No
I practically completed a month working and holidaying in a VW T6 California. 12 days spent in Wales and Gloucester and 8 days in Filey. Working during office hours and switching to holiday mode at all other times.

Quite an eye opener as this was thee big test. We were fine for space. Using a Vango Galli III awning ensured that whilst I worked, my better half and 2 kids had plenty room outside of the van. So that worked out just fine.

Working 8am-5pm, Mon-Fri stuck on the rear bench and at the table in T6 was very doable but physically quite frustrating. In an office at home I can wander about and deal with stuff on the phone whilst on the move, obviously cant do that in a van. I found that after a week of this my body was crying out for some real physical activities.

However, giving that the plan isnt to spend weeks on end working out of the van its certainly a goer.

I have mentioned above that I/we were looking at a T6 conversion. Well that has now changed. We're seriously looking at a California. Principally because of the fit and finish but also because of the residuals too. Theres also that something about them. Hard to pinpoint but after having had one for a month. We're a bit smitten.

However, contrary to this, spending a big lump on a van has had me looking online again to see what else is available vanwise and of course I started looking at the Ducato based vans again and I've found that im scratching my chin a bit more as we get closer to purchasing something.

Anyway, a trip to the Lincolnshire Motorhome show this weekend will no doubt cause me no end of headaches! lol

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Having now had my PVC for only a few weeks and having tried to do a small 3-4 hours bit of laptop work compared to my earlier post when I was simply anticipating I now know

I’d never cope in a camper van. Even just a small laptop you’ll have some paper so need a moderate size table.

It’s not the same as an office desk. You don’t have the ergonomics and space. Even getting out behind a tsble to reach a coffee is a time and motion study.

I want head height.

You need good internet whether by WiFi on board or a phone tethering (takes space for more kit to connect and charge)

You need battery and a means to connect and charge laptops and mobiles when off grid. Can you leisure battery and the number (or lack of) 12v sockets do that?

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
I am setting up as a Mobile Motorhome Habitation Technician insured through the MCEA.
I will tow a Tysse 6110 HC box trailer either for Caravan and Motorhome jobs around the Flintshire Area with My Honda CRV 4X4 Car or My Dethleffs Globebus.
Extras above standard that I have fitted are:-
*Towbar with bash bar.
*Small 600W Pure Sine Wave Inverter
*One 11KG Gaslow Self-fill LPG bottle + a spare separate back up ordinary bottle.
*Snipe3 Satellite { fast lock on to Astra Freesat }
* An effective Chinese 8KW diesel fuel powered hot air blow heater with 12V fan { saves LPG consumption and My Truma combi-boiler is the older type that drains 12V fast }.
*12V Dashboard Fan { To prevent 'No air-con in cab syndrome'.}
*Security Anti-theft Tracker.
*Milenco external extra Hab door lock.
*100W Solar panel.
*Vision Plus Ranger Twin Rear camera System.
My advice is if you are going down the panel van option route by a van
that you can stand up in especially if you are going to live and work in it.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
vw have a cult following but they are realy only comfortable for two my son has had a t4 10 years and now has a boy of seven and theyve just upgraded to a merc sprinter as the t4 was to small no usable shower and on top of each other as he puts it we can now walk past each other

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

STEVEN YOUNG

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Funster No
Having now had my PVC for only a few weeks and having tried to do a small 3-4 hours bit of laptop work compared to my earlier post when I was simply anticipating I now know

I’d never cope in a camper van. Even just a small laptop you’ll have some paper so need a moderate size table.

It’s not the same as an office desk. You don’t have the ergonomics and space. Even getting out behind a tsble to reach a coffee is a time and motion study.

I want head height.

You need good internet whether by WiFi on board or a phone tethering (takes space for more kit to connect and charge)

You need battery and a means to connect and charge laptops and mobiles when off grid. Can you leisure battery and the number (or lack of) 12v sockets do that?

The idea is that having worked 10 years full time from home, im looking for something that will get me a handful of days out of the house each month but also to provide a way for the 4 of us to escape for weekends or slightly longer.

It has ticked those boxes.

There of obvious compromises, no toilet being the 'biggee' but at the time I was on a campsite :D. I would have to do some planning for public loos when owning my own van.

I was running a laptop with a second monitor attached plus a mobile wireless printer too. The printer has a battery which lasted the day and I used a secondary mobile phone with unlimited data as a wifi hot spot which did the trick. Being less experienced as to how long the onboard leisure battery lasts I usually ran my laptop on its own battery for the first 3-4 hours before plugging it in to the van.

You're right re internet connection. I had planned ahead on this note, in fact it was thee major factor in deciding where we went on 'holiday'. In order for me to work while my fam played I had to have a decent signal. As a bit of a highlight, I found a spot in Wales where I was it flying along at over 150mbps over 4G. 'Twas along the main road near Abereiddy beach. (Beautiful spot btw!)

Popping the roof up which sorted the head height issue. Although its not always convenient to pop the roof up, so I fully get this.

There are a few things I'd do to make things a little less faffy, if its the VW T6 id opt for :

1) Bring a flask of tea / coffee
2) Clamp both monitors onto the edge of the table releasing more room for paperwork.
3) Take a packed lunch.
4) im sure there'll be more.......

I do like the separate kitchen and sitting spaces in the ducato vans. That way I neednt necessarily bother with numbers 1 or 3. hhmmm

OP
OP
S

STEVEN YOUNG

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Funster No
I am setting up as a Mobile Motorhome Habitation Technician insured through the MCEA.
I will tow a Tysse 6110 HC box trailer either for Caravan and Motorhome jobs around the Flintshire Area with My Honda CRV 4X4 Car or My Dethleffs Globebus.
Extras above standard that I have fitted are:-
*Towbar with bash bar.
*Small 600W Pure Sine Wave Inverter
*One 11KG Gaslow Self-fill LPG bottle + a spare separate back up ordinary bottle.
*Snipe3 Satellite { fast lock on to Astra Freesat }
* An effective Chinese 8KW diesel fuel powered hot air blow heater with 12V fan { saves LPG consumption and My Truma combi-boiler is the older type that drains 12V fast }.
*12V Dashboard Fan { To prevent 'No air-con in cab syndrome'.}
*Security Anti-theft Tracker.
*Milenco external extra Hab door lock.
*100W Solar panel.
*Vision Plus Ranger Twin Rear camera System.
My advice is if you are going down the panel van option route by a van
that you can stand up in especially if you are going to live and work in it.

Quite the setup there ☺?. I hope that works out for you.It feels like the popularity for caravans and motorhomes are on rise. ? It keeps you busy!

Im visiting this weekends Motorhome show in Lincoln and although ive well tested VW's current campervan im v interested is getting a taste of the bigger vans on the market. Seems to be that If I can peel myself away from the VW badge there much more value outhere. Including standing space, showers and a toilet!!

OP
OP
S

STEVEN YOUNG

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Funster No
vw have a cult following but they are realy only comfortable for two my son has had a t4 10 years and now has a boy of seven and theyve just upgraded to a merc sprinter as the t4 was to small no usable shower and on top of each other as he puts it we can now walk past each other

The space thing was the biggee in testing the VW camper out. There are 4 of us, my wife and I and 2 small children of 10 and 8. We added a decent size awning into the package which really made it work otherwise it would have been too small. As it was, coupled with the awning it was fine.

The toilet and shower thing is a pain, however in most occasions, as a family we'll be on a campsite which didnt prove too bad in our recent time away. Although trying to creep out of the van 2am to nip to the loo isnt ideal. :LOL:

This is the setup we had :

DJI_0144.JPG

DJI_0171.jpg

Attachments

• DJI_0174.JPG
    DJI_0174.JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 2

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Do a LOT of homework on this van idea.
A Campervan will be far too small for what you want, will not have a decent washroom-if it has one, and will not give you any space at all. As for working in one whilst other people are about......I don’t think that will work!

OP
OP
S

STEVEN YOUNG

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Funster No
Do a LOT of homework on this van idea.
A Campervan will be far too small for what you want, will not have a decent washroom-if it has one, and will not give you any space at all. As for working in one whilst other people are about......I don’t think that will work!

Thanks for your feedback.

I realise that not jumping in too quickly here and doing the homework is key. Afterall its no loose change thats being spent.

I have recently completed what amounted to a 3 week stint in a campervan where I mixed my work whilst being away on holiday. Well, that is my wife and 2 children were on holiday but I worked Mon-Fri 8am-5pm. So it was a kind of bizarre setup. But better than being stuck at home.

However working in the middle of a albeit nice campsite whilst most everyone else was holidaying was an odd experience. However it was doable if not totally ideal.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
A VW California is a triumph of design over practicality in my opinion. Costs a lot as well! I understand wanting to have a second car, but in reality a Campervan still restricts parking quite often - height barriers etc. A small pvc (under 6 metres) can still be parked in most places and has several advantages I think
More space when the family are with you
Toilet and shower - allows wild camping when you are alone - cheaper
Batteries, solar panels, water tank, waste tank - also allows more independence
No need for awning all the time - easier set up and moving
Tends to be cheaper to buy than VW conversions, particularly Californias
Better insulation from cold and heat means it can be used all year round
Just my opinion - maybe try and hire a pvc to try?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Not a lot of use to you if youre set on a small pvc, but some years ago saw a chap who worked from his motorhome more or less fulltime and had set up a proper little office in the garage. No standing height but fine for sitting at his desk. Fully equipped with PC printer, scanner, fax coffee machine etc.

OP
OP
S

STEVEN YOUNG

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Funster No
A VW California is a triumph of design over practicality in my opinion. Costs a lot as well! I understand wanting to have a second car, but in reality a Campervan still restricts parking quite often - height barriers etc. A small pvc (under 6 metres) can still be parked in most places and has several advantages I think
More space when the family are with you
Toilet and shower - allows wild camping when you are alone - cheaper
Batteries, solar panels, water tank, waste tank - also allows more independence
No need for awning all the time - easier set up and moving
Tends to be cheaper to buy than VW conversions, particularly Californias
Better insulation from cold and heat means it can be used all year round
Just my opinion - maybe try and hire a pvc to try?

Im heading to the Lincolnshire motorhome show at the weekend and Ive definitely got my eyes open. I've been recently looking at Ducato based vans from different companies at the recent Stuttgart show on youtube and theyve really peaked my interest.

We're a first time campervan buyer so looking at all the options is the right thing. As I type this Im seriously interested in the vans that offer more amenities, esp those at a similar cost (if not cheaper) than the VW T6.

The pull with the T6 is that heightwise it fits in most height restricted car parks and has a similar footprint to a large car. Its vaguely stylish and carries a nicey nice image, residuals and the wife doesnt find it daunting to drive.

We'll see. It might be something where we hire a bigger vehicle as a test much like we did with the VW.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Other VW Converters:-

Leisure drive

Rollinghomes { Shrewsbury }

JOBL { Ellesmere port }

GMC Motorhomes { Shrewsbury } sell the odd one or two.
They sell Fiat Ducato based Malibu and Auto-trail V-line Panel vans also.

Hillside Leisure.

Plenty of choice out there.

OP
OP
S

STEVEN YOUNG

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Funster No
Other VW Converters:-

Leisure drive

Rollinghomes { Shrewsbury }

JOBL { Ellesmere port }

GMC Motorhomes { Shrewsbury } sell the odd one or two.
They sell Fiat Ducato based Malibu and Auto-trail V-line Panel vans also.

Hillside Leisure.

Plenty of choice out there.

Brilliant. Thankyou for this ☝

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I sometimes work from the motorhome, which enables us to extend our weekends away. however we have a 8 metre MH with just the two of us. we also have Mifi internet to enable me to work with teleconferencing and webex etc.
Could i do it with less space or children around... no thanks ;)
Pretty well the same thing here.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Not a lot of use to you if youre set on a small pvc, but some years ago saw a chap who worked from his motorhome more or less fulltime and had set up a proper little office in the garage. No standing height but fine for sitting at his desk. Fully equipped with PC printer, scanner, fax coffee machine etc.

That sounds like a good set up.

Some years ago I remember Rapido did offer a layout for their Series 10 A class that included a small desk. I doubt if there are many of those about.

OP
OP
S

STEVEN YOUNG

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Funster No
Ok, so I spent a majority of Saturday at the Motorhome show in Lincoln and came away with very mixed feelings :

• It confirmed that as we're after 2 car setup then a VW Transporter is the only likely sensible option. For us anyway.
  • You pretty much get sh**all for your money with a VW Transporter. I couldnt get my head around just how small a Transporter was compared to literally everything else there. Where once the space seemed ample, it felt more like a shoebox.
  • Just how expensive a Transporter was compared to everything else there. My girls nearly lost the plot having found their ideal motorhome that happened to be the cheapest thing we looked at all day. A 2nd hand 7 Berth Hymer Classic. My girls loved it and tbh, so did we. The layout was great with 2 internal tables, a bunk bed and enough room for everything. At half the cost of a new/nearly new VW California, it didnt half make me think.
  • The options available to us for similar money to a VW camper was staggering. My wife and I agree that in another scenario with a 3 car setup then a motorhome would definitely have its place. Home from home.

I was initially quite dismayed during the drive home and for the rest of the day. So much of what was at the show offered so much more than a California to the point where I thought it was a blatant ripoff. I wasnt all that impressed with most of the VW conversions that were on display as they all looked the same with their blocky furniture, grey carpeted dark interiors and low spec vans with many knocking on the door of £50k. One converter stood out with their high spec conversion. The fit and finish and design of their interior stood out a mile, but their Price of £70k for it was just silly money. (to me anyway)

After another 24 hours, the mist had lifted in my mind and the disappointment gone. We still want a van. For us, we still want the ability to get to festivals and have short-medium breaks away, plus other days out. I still want something to have the odd work day in and we still want something that we can both easily manoeuvre. So despite my rather negative thoughts above, I cant look past a VW California at this time but can definitely see different options for the future.

Amen.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The answer you want is a Vw with quad slides , unfortunately such a thing doesn't exist . Trying to have a 2 car family with both vehicles no bigger than the size of a large car and use one as a motorhome isnt going to work . You cant go past the combo you have at the moment a camper with a big tent . What you are ending up with is something that doesn't do anything really well, which ultimately leads to disappointment.
I used to have a 12mtr US RV , and have now got a 7.5mtr 6x6 . Yes the RV needed preplanning and compromise on access . The 6x6 doesn't need any of that and gets in pretty much anywhere , so you need to dip your toe in the water and see how a bigger vehicle works in reality rather than thinking thru downsides.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Do the sums for a two car plus older van set up against the cost of the California- you may not have to compromise after all! That is, if you have room on the drive. The £30,000 saved on the California goes a long way in the second hand car market!

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Back in the day, Murvi did conversions aimed just at this type of thing .

I would agree with other on the 'its too small' theme , a larger PVC may suit.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just how expensive a Transporter was compared to everything else there. My girls nearly lost the plot having found their ideal motorhome that happened to be the cheapest thing we looked at all day. A 2nd hand 7 Berth Hymer Classic. My girls loved it and tbh, so did we. The layout was great with 2 internal tables, a bunk bed and enough room for everything. At half the cost of a new/nearly new VW California, it didnt half make me think.
You have a wife and two fast growing girls??
I think you need to start listening to them.! :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Don't forget you may also need different insurance as many policies will not cover business use for your camper van.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't forget you may also need different insurance as many policies will not cover business use for your camper van.
I suspect that's only applicable if you use it for driving to/from business appointments, carrying goods etc, not just pitching up next to a beach (ie change of scene) and doing some work whilst sat in it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Did you look at the Imperial Car van conversions? Some were very nice, expensive though.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I suspect that's only applicable if you use it for driving to/from business appointments, carrying goods etc, not just pitching up next to a beach (ie change of scene) and doing some work whilst sat in it.

It is worth asking the question. I was told by our broker (who did phone to ask the underwriter whilst I was in the office - and then had a confirmation email) that even answering an email whilst in the vehicle would count as business use for someone who was self employed...... as would taking anything commercial to the post office on the way to the supermarket (even if it wasn't for my own business but doing a good deed for a neighbour). Remember insurance companies will always protect their own interests first and foremost, they are in business to make a profit!

Mind how they would know is another matter.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
It is worth asking the question. I was told by our broker (who did phone to ask the underwriter whilst I was in the office - and then had a confirmation email) that even answering an email whilst in the vehicle would count as business use for someone who was self employed...... as would taking anything commercial to the post office on the way to the supermarket (even if it wasn't for my own business but doing a good deed for a neighbour). Remember insurance companies will always protect their own interests first and foremost, they are in business to make a profit!

Mind how they would know is another matter.

Yes, worth bearing in mind. House insurance also used to be a minefield for people working from home, but it seems to have caught up with the modern world now, with most policies now allowing paperwork and computer work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back