Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
After 18 months of ownership, I finally got around to sorting the grey waste pipe problem. It's been a two-handed job to open or close the valve as the waste pipe rotates in it's mounting bracket. When I looked underneath, one screw that secures the mounting bracket to the rear valance was missing. And when I tried to undo the other screw, this piece of wood appeared...............
greywaste1.jpg

After removal, the screw and the wood look like they have been in situ for quite a while - surely not an Autocruise factory job?
greywaste2.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Probably a temporary fix whilst the previous owner was on holiday and never sorted permanently as it worked. 😄

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
It does not seem logical that in a factory environment, with correct tools and materials on hand, someone should seek out none standard materials. The time taken for bodge jobs would exceed use of correct materials and time allowed.

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
After 18 months of ownership, I finally got around to sorting the grey waste pipe problem. It's been a two-handed job to open or close the valve as the waste pipe rotates in it's mounting bracket. When I looked underneath, one screw that secures the mounting bracket to the rear valance was missing. And when I tried to undo the other screw, this piece of wood appeared...............
View attachment 938208

After removal, the screw and the wood look like they have been in situ for quite a while - surely not an Autocruise factory job?
View attachment 938211
And if somebody cobbled together an official procedure that said get a random piece of 10mm wood approximately 10cm square and a couple of wood screws between 15 and 30mm, fix it between the body and grey water tank, it would still comply with ISO9001 manufacturing standards.

Years ago when I had ISO9001 training, I thought it was about quality of manufacturing, it wasn't, it was about procedure and documentation, it didn't seem to matter how badly something was manufatured, as long as you followed a documented procedure, even if the procedure said if it doesn't fit, hit it with a hammer, untill it does.🤣

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
View attachment 938208

View attachment 938211
That wood is far too substantial to be autocruise original.🙂

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
That wood is far too substantial to be autocruise original.🙂
Kind of, after swift took them on.
Pre swift they had a grey outlet pipe that was suspended from the floor on a metal strap with one of those quarter turn grey outlet taps, clogged at the sight of anything other than water.
Certainly not the white waste/overflow pipe that has been fitted

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My sister has a 2011 autocruise star...something or other . She's knocked her waste pipe off twice as it hangs very low to ground.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
The reversing camera on our previous (Elddis) motorhome had to be replaced.
I was surprised to see that under the nice plastic surround, the camera was screwed to a block of wood which was stuck to the rear wall.
The screw holes were not sealed and the wood was quite damp.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
My sister has a 2011 autocruise star...something or other . She's knocked her waste pipe off twice as it hangs very low to ground.
Lots named after stars that year mate, that was probably the last year they were decent, starburst/dream/gazer/quest lol.
The pvc ones are known for that as the tank is low and in between the wheelbase so any undulations and you rest hitting the bottom

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The reversing camera on our previous (Elddis) motorhome had to be replaced.
I was surprised to see that under the nice plastic surround, the camera was screwed to a block of wood which was stuck to the rear wall.
The screw holes were not sealed and the wood was quite damp.
I assume the Elddis was pre Hymer. For some reason I cannot imagine anything “Hymer” bodging, but I could be wrong.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
And if somebody cobbled together an official procedure that said get a random piece of 10mm wood approximately 10cm square and a couple of wood screws between 15 and 30mm, fix it between the body and grey water tank, it would still comply with ISO9001 manufacturing standards.

Years ago when I had ISO9001 training, I thought it was about quality of manufacturing, it wasn't, it was about procedure and documentation, it didn't seem to matter how badly something was manufatured, as long as you followed a documented procedure, even if the procedure said if it doesn't fit, hit it with a hammer, untill it does.🤣
In Kashmir in 2016 I passed a small dimly lit shop with an indian sitting crosslegged on the floor with a gearbox in pieces, he had no PPE not even gloves and was covered in oil.
Underneath the 1 dodgy swinging lightbulb I could just make out the ISO 96001 cerificate sitting next to his even dodgier looking toaster.

Not worth the paper it's written on.

Graydo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back