Wiring up inverter 240v input (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
Had a variety of tents, tipis, motorhomes, caravans and now back to a coach built motorhome!
So my Renogy 2000w inverter takes a 240v input, and has a bypass feature in that whilst it’s off or detects 240v it will output that rather than using the leisure battery. So I’ve wired up the output the consumer unit.
However my question is on the input, effectively I want the EHU input to be wired to the input on the inverter.
The inverter came with a mains input lead using an IEC female socket and I’ve got the flex from the EHU input so I just need to connect the two.
However I want to do this properly and securely. I notice the consumer unit has a 40a RCBO, so that sent me off down a path trying to find a way to connect two flexible cables that is rated to 40a. I ordered something from Amazon and it’s massive! How should you connect the two cables so that it’s sufficiently rated?
Thanks in advance.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What you need to do is connect the bypass input to the output of the consumer RCBO then the output of the inverter to a new RCBO that only feeds the sockets in the van and nothing else.
Cable only needs to be 1.5mm² max.they probably don't need to be that big you didn't say what size the inverter is.

The 12v cables Renogy supply are normally undersized and need replacing with ones suitable for the job.

OP
OP
DaveS
Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
Had a variety of tents, tipis, motorhomes, caravans and now back to a coach built motorhome!
What you need to do is connect the bypass input to the output of the consumer RCBO then the output of the inverter to a new RCBO that only feeds the sockets in the van and nothing else.
Cable only needs to be 1.5mm² max.they probably don't need to be that big you didn't say what size the inverter is.

The 12v cables Renogy supply are normally undersized and need replacing with ones suitable for the job.
Thank you appreciate the feedback.
Yep I’m fine with the 12v cables, I upgraded them.
The inverter is 2000w.

I could probably do with a wiring diagram to understand the changes I need to make. I’ll go googling.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thank you appreciate the feedback.
Yep I’m fine with the 12v cables, I upgraded them.
The inverter is 2000w.

I could probably do with a wiring diagram to understand the changes I need to make. I’ll go googling.
This is how I wired my Victron Multiplus.

1722282239253.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I notice the consumer unit has a 40a RCBO
First, are you sure it's an RCBO, not an RCD. It's quite common to use separate RCD and MCBs. A 40A RCD is often used, but what that means is that it is suitable for use in circuits up to 40A. It doesn't provide overcurrent protection, only earth leakage and electric shock protection. The MCBs provide the overcurrent protection, and will have the amps rating written on them. Usually C16, C10 or C6. Or B16, B10 or B6.

If it's an RCBO, that is an RCD and and MCB combined into one unit. The overcurrent protection will be written on it, as a number with a C or B in front of it. If it genuinely is a C40 or B40 RCBO then it is totally unsuitable for a motorhome.

Maybe you could post a picture of it, showing all the writing on it.

OP
OP
DaveS
Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
The most you are going to get from any EHU is 16A and usually a lot less, 6A is typical outside the UK.

As suggested, 1.5mm^2 will be fine.
I’m overthinking it then!

OP
OP
DaveS
Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
First, are you sure it's an RCBO, not an RCD. It's quite common to use separate RCD and MCBs. A 40A RCD is often used, but what that means is that it is suitable for use in circuits up to 40A. It doesn't provide overcurrent protection, only earth leakage and electric shock protection. The MCBs provide the overcurrent protection, and will have the amps rating written on them. Usually C16, C10 or C6. Or B16, B10 or B6.

If it's an RCBO, that is an RCD and and MCB combined into one unit. The overcurrent protection will be written on it, as a number with a C or B in front of it. If it genuinely is a C40 or B40 RCBO then it is totally unsuitable for a motorhome.

Maybe you could post a picture of it, showing all the writing on it.
I’m not sure. I couldn’t find anything on it that suggested either way.
IMG_2570.jpeg

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
It's a separate RCD and MCB. The mains supply passes through the RCD first, then one or more MCBs. The RCD has a test button, and has an earth leakage limit of 0.03A (= 30 milliamps) for electric shock protection. The MCB has B13 on it, so it trips if the current exceeds 13A.

As others have said, mains wiring in a motorhome is usually 1.5mm² flexible cable, which is fine for up to 16A.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back