LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Paul, Sorry if am a bit late with this but when I had the RV, I fitted tropical fishtank heaters in the fresh and waste tanks. They did not draw much power and did the job a treat. I drilled a small hole in the top of the tanks then dropped the heater in and fed the wire through a rubber grommet with a blob of silicone on. Bobs your auntie :thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Your right Dave - I did think of using tank heaters for fish There was a reason I did not use them although it escapes me at present .

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Ok so got around to finishing it today.

I removed the trap's and refitted straight through Pipe. All was then re-lagged and ready to go. The fall within the pipework is sufficient as to ensure the water should run in to the waste tank on a freezing day and not leave any water about.

Clearly there is an issue with the waste trap, this is designed to hold water and obviously will freeze. On my continental vans, the traps were inside.

Quite fidlly doing the kitchen one but all works now. All I need now is to wait till February, to see if I can shower in the van in -25 outside.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• trap.jpg
    trap.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 20121025_120933.jpg
    20121025_120933.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 20121025_115050.jpg
    20121025_115050.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 124
  • 20121025_122312.jpg
    20121025_122312.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 123

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
maybe the reason for not using fish tank heaters is because they are 230 volt

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Yep your right about the fish tank heater, but you can actually get 12v ones, but I think they are made of glass/...

ANY HOW I WILL NOT BE BEAT<

I NEVER SAY DIE>

I just was not happy with the prospect of how I had fitted the tank heater, although I had thought of everything, I had an overnight moment. A risk but a moment all the same. I opted to put my hand through the filler cap holding a soldering iron. Using this I was then able to create a hole exactly where the recommended place should be.

result, I now have a water heater installed that is at the bottom of the tank side on. Past holes were filled with some special filler stuff and away I am. :thumb:

Attachments

• 20121025_161911.jpg
    20121025_161911.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 20121025_161916.jpg
    20121025_161916.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 20121025_161928.jpg
    20121025_161928.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 116

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
could that have been inspired by my drill it from the inside suggestion perhaps :Doh::Doh:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
maybe the reason for not using fish tank heaters is because they are 230 volt
The ones I used were 12volt but had an in-line inverter built into the cable. Just chopped the cable off and Bobs your auntie. I was under the impression they were all like this for safety reasons, water/electric/big clumsy fish.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
could that have been inspired by my drill it from the inside suggestion perhaps :Doh::Doh:

Not at all fella, If you had read earlier, you would of seen that I had ried that method. The filler hole is not bigger enough to get a drill in.

I'm far from clever, but I aint stupid :RollEyes::roflmto:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our Autotrail also has some heating pipes running under the floor which certainly knocked the heat out of it before it got to the vent.
If yours are the same as ours I think you will find the actually heating pipe is inside a water proof but unlagged outer pipe.
I cut holes in several places in the outer pipe and injected the foaminside until it came out of the next hole, working my way along the pipe.
This has made a huge difference to the temp coming into the motorhome.
Top tip.:thumb:

The heater pipe under the van looks and feels just like the stuff you get inside but has a black outer instead of the silvered one. When I get the van back from Swift (hopefully tomorrow) I'll have a shuftie and see what I can do with it. I don't think I'll be able to re-route the piping within the van though as the combi boiler/heater is on the nearside and the outlets are on the offside, with a large locker in the middle which has our canoes etc in so if I put the heater pipe through it I won't be able to get them in or out! The only alternative would be to completely try to re-route it through the nearside which would be quite a major job as it would mean going under the fridge and kitchen units and I'd lose the outlet in the offside washroom ... brrrrr! Probably easier to lag it and see how it performs like that!!!

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Hi guys. Just a thought. I have not trawled though all the well informed posts, but remember insulation only reduses heat loss, it do's not produce heat. If you want to keep your fluids from freezing you will have to produce some heat into the system. Even if you insulate to the extreem if you intend to park the van up for long periods, for the winter ect you will still need to drain your systems down. Sorry if this has been coved ealier.

PK

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Going off thread a little, but the best thing I have found for heating a van is an Eberspacher diesel heater. I know they are not cheap, but if you are skiing in sub zero temps this is definitely the way to go. Even on the lowest setting the van is toasty warm and they use little fuel and battery power. Your gas consumption is kept to a minimum,so its not necessary to carry spare gas bottles. The best bit of kit I know of for winter use.

Even further off post. The Mercedes base vehicle has a diesel powered auxiliary heater, though it will only work with the engine running. Is it possible to adapt the wiring or whatever so it could run on the hab batteries? Anyone know?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Even further off post. The Mercedes base vehicle has a diesel powered auxiliary heater, though it will only work with the engine running. Is it possible to adapt the wiring or whatever so it could run on the hab batteries? Anyone know?

Isn't the purpose of the Merc/Eberspacher heater to preheat the coolant in your cold engine before starting to ensure faster warm-up?

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi guys. Just a thought. I have not trawled though all the well informed posts, but remember insulation only reduses heat loss, it do's not produce heat. If you want to keep your fluids from freezing you will have to produce some heat into the system. Even if you insulate to the extreem if you intend to park the van up for long periods, for the winter ect you will still need to drain your systems down. Sorry if this has been coved ealier.

PK

Well said, and a point often lost on some.

When at sub zero temperatures, the van's heater/boiler combo is it's beating heart. Loose that and it's home time!
Hagger's waste lagging is their to try and stop ice backing up. Hopefully, the warm water running through the waste pipes will not get a chance to cool and freeze with the lagging in place.

BTW, how about a new submission to the Oxford English Dictionary?

'HAGGING', verb, to insulate a motorhome prior to winter use.:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My Merc based van does not need the engine running for the Eberspacher to work. Granted it is wired to the engine battery for some obscure reason, but the drain on the battery is negligible. I don't understand why they wired it too the engine battery when it could have easily been wired to the hab batteries. I was worried about it running the engine battery down when in use, so did a dry run and left it running for 24 hrs. No problem starting, so must use very little from the batteries.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp

PK

Again PK you are of course right, however, the thread is more about using the van in extremely low temps other than storing it.
When the van is parked up the heating is always left on either very low or full blast upon return. As stated, the insulation within the pipe work is simply to prevent any water freezing that is washed away through the system. Generally speaking the waste is open, the water should fall in to a bucket end of. However, I have known it that cold I have witnessed the water falling out of the waste and freezing as it falls in to the bucket. This is why I am currently contemplating going a step further and adding waste heating elements. The only gamble with these is that you do have to keep some water in the waste tank. However it worked well on my Adria. :thumb:

Well said, and a point often lost on some.

When at sub zero temperatures, the van's heater/boiler combo is it's beating heart. Loose that and it's home time!
Hagger's waste lagging is their to try and stop ice backing up. Hopefully, the warm water running through the waste pipes will not get a chance to cool and freeze with the lagging in place.

BTW, how about a new submission to the Oxford English Dictionary?

'HAGGING', verb, to insulate a motorhome prior to winter use.:thumb:

'HAGGING' - VERB - meaning - To attempt the impossible and make a British van winterised as good as it's German counterparts hence enjoying superior luxury in the cold. :thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I certainly lie the idea of the diesel heater, however, Nikki just hit me when I told her how much, and im not sure I could fit it myself.

Its probably one of those things that if you have it on your van you would not go without it again, but retro fitting is very costly :Sad:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I certainly lie the idea of the diesel heater, however, Nikki just hit me when I told her how much, and im not sure I could fit it myself.

Its probably one of those things that if you have it on your van you would not go without it again, but retro fitting is very costly :Sad:
Hi Paul, They are available second hand from ebay at very reasonable cost. There is a guy at Middlewich boats that will do a full service for £40 am told. Dead easy to retro fit. Much easier than the job you have just done. For anyone doing winter sports they are a must have.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Hi Paul, They are available second hand from ebay at very reasonable cost. There is a guy at Middlewich boats that will do a full service for £40 am told. Dead easy to retro fit. Much easier than the job you have just done. For anyone doing winter sports they are a must have.

Ok, Dave, I will show Nikki this post, ask her to raid the savings account. Can you add it will dry her hair too?
:winky:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Ok, Dave, I will show Nikki this post, ask her to raid the savings account. Can you add it will dry her hair too?
:winky:
Of course, it will not only dry her hair.....With a little ingenuity it will blow dry it. Just stick an old Hoover pipe on the outlet ::bigsmile:.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
had a scoot around fleabay for one. Still even used they are a few quid. I rang one company that was 855 + Vodka & Tonic for all inclusive with fitting. Thought that was quite reasonable.
However, I then started to think,,, Why do I need one? Our van is absoloutly toastie warm in the winter, even high up in the Alps in -27 it was still toastie warm inside. I suppose the only real benefit would be that we would use less gas. Again though for nearly two weeks away we only used 3 bottles worth in the extreme cold so about £50 worth.

I think therefore, that I may have to wait till next year to convince Nikki it's worth it.

However If anyone would like to sell me a cheap one and offer assistance with fitting, Im all ears ::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Keep an eye on ebay. The early airtronics without the timer can be had for under £150 at times. There is little or nothing to go wrong with them, and a days work should easily fit one. Even after a £40 service you should have change from £200 and no worries with running out of gas.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ditch the Combi 6 and install a Webasto Dualtop!

If you site it close enough to the waste tank, you could direct it's exhaust into a shroud around the waste tank!

Have you 2 1/2 K spare though?!!!:Eeek:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
many breakers yards have the eberspacher heaters as they seem to like them in minibuses.
some may be fully working some not but always worth a look.

and many dont even bother removing them before crushing the vehicle.
when i worked at the scrap yard we regularly saw transits with a retro fit water heater and radiators.

GlobeStar

Free Member
Jul 23, 2012
Woodhall Spa
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2004
Not sure if mentioned previously but have a look at this idea. Not sure if you can change the voltage though for when on hook up.

I know it's in USA but could be an idea.

Tim
Hi all by the way I'm a newby from Lincolnshire area with a globestar by globecar not new to motorhoming but come down in size from a tag axle kontiki to a PVC.:thumb:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
There is also heat tape for pipes. In fact you can make your own if you have the will.:thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Not sure if mentioned previously but have a look at this idea. Not sure if you can change the voltage though for when on hook up.

I know it's in USA but could be an idea.

Tim
Hi all by the way I'm a newby from Lincolnshire area with a globestar by globecar not new to motorhoming but come down in size from a tag axle kontiki to a PVC.:thumb:

Welcome ot Motorhome fun Tim
:thumb:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
There is also heat tape for pipes. In fact you can make your own if you have the will.:thumb:

Explain more please :whistle:

I like the sound of this

Never used it myself, but often wondered if it would be effective in conjunction with insulation.

Make your own. If you Goggle there are many commercial products, however most are mains fed.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Never used it myself, but often wondered if it would be effective in conjunction with insulation.

Make your own. If you Goggle there are many commercial products, however most are mains fed.

yes Paul, I too have seen a simlar type of thing, A power led heated mat/fabric. would be great to wrap around your pipes and then switch on keeping all the pipes heated :thumb: not seen any 12v ones though?
Even so, getting some from mains could be useful if you suffer a big freeze to simply defrost pipe work, gotta beat hours with a hair dryer.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Tank heaters

Ever thought of sump/tank heating pads?

These are used for keeping things flowing in arctic conditions (a bit like VT)!::bigsmile:

Link Removed

-Just a Christmas present idea for the Funster who already owns every heating/insulation product available!::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back