Windscreen wipers keep cutting out (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Peugeot 09 (boxer)?plate
Has anyone experienced the wipers just keep gping dead. I have read its sometimes a problem with a fuse F43.
Replaced F43 worked fine for a minute then went dead.
Switching off ignition seems ro reset it then off we go again.
IS it a module within another model,like ecu ?
Suggeztions please?
Mike

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Our Burstner is based on a 2010 Fiat Ducato so will be virtually the same vehicle.

We had a very similar problem and was solved by checking the power supply connection to the wiper motor.
Visually, it appeared intact. I put a little pressure on the plug and heard a click. As to whether it was a mechanical or electrical click, I'm not sure but the wipers have worked fine since then.

Good Luck(y)

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
On my 08 plate it was a connection inside the motor, mine failed to in biblical rain heading to Como, managed to temporarily repair at the side of the road with my penknife, a rock and duct tape, but they kept failing.
Replaced the whole motor and linkage with ebay special for £40 and they've been perfect every since!

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Thats interesting, suggests motor unit problems rather than timer module- wherever it is.
Probably try waiting until it dies then temporarily hotwiring the motor unit. Could easily be worn out carbon brushes, a sharp knock might localise the problem
Thanks both
Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
nuevo
Miine is a 07 boxer wipers died driving around Paris back in may, managed to get them restarted by banging on the motor to get around the paris ring road, they then failed permanently, replaced them when I got home.

May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
Not had this issue on the van, but I did have it on a previous car - and, despite being intermittent, the fault turned out to be the relay.

Replaced it and no further issues in the couple of years before I changed the car.

May 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
nuevo
The diagnostic list for me in order of simplicity was
Check fuse
check that the blades aren't siezed by pushing them
check the wiper motor connector for burnt pin this seems to be a common fault.
Multimeter on the wiper connector pins for voltage, also covers the possible relay issue.

Changing the motor is relatively easy if you buy one with the mechanism, just buying the motor means it is a lot more difficult.
T drivers for the trim 2 or 3 bolts for the motor, you may need to remove the two off side bonnet bolts for clearance, a piece of cardboard stops bonnet damaging the paintwork. Hardest part for me was refitting the scuttle as the inital replacement plastic trim clips from the local car spares dealer were rock hard and wouldn't go into the holes and I ended up buying some decent ones from the internet.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Thats interesting, suggests motor unit problems rather than timer module- wherever it is.
Probably try waiting until it dies then temporarily hotwiring the motor unit. Could easily be worn out carbon brushes, a sharp knock might localise the problem
Thanks both
Mike
Usual suspects are
Wiper arm on driver side get rusted up due to water pooling as no drain, these leads to increased resistance and motor then struggling possibly burning out internal.
Can be a poorly connected loom to motor.
Wiper switch on column and or connector block to switch.
Body control module.
Start by testing to see if you have 12v at the connector block on motor, from memory it’s pin 3 for permanent live, 1 and 2 for the switched, this eliminates the fuse, switch and bcm.
If you have power just change the motor as a whole unit, eBay for about £38.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I would think the wiper motor will be controlled by the BCM, due to this any short, electrical over load, or issue, the BCM will cut the power, until you try to use them again.

Check motor connection, and wiper spindles. Possibly running the wiper motor with the wipers lifted , so no added load may free things up a bit along with some oil, if it is just an overload situation.

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Great stuff, thanks all.
Does anyone actually know if there is a relay or if its all done by the Body Control Unit?. Suspect that the module also monitors the motor current hence the cutting out when overloaded. Odd that turning ign off resets it.
Mike

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Great stuff, thanks all.
Does anyone actually know if there is a relay or if its all done by the Body Control Unit?. Suspect that the module also monitors the motor current hence the cutting out when overloaded. Odd that turning ign off resets it.
Mike
Body control only no relays hence its detecting overload,

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Yes, yes!
We found the drivers wiper shaft submerged in water. Wiper motor was replaced only 3 yrs ago accordi g to previous owner.
Odd thing is the shaft had been "sealed" with silicone. Left arms and blades off and all ok so suspect thst the silicone had been causing drag. Lubed shaft, cleared drain hole and apparently all working well even on a dryish screen.
Many thanks for suggestions which put us in right direction.
Owner was sure it was only a dirty relay!
Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back