Windows Formatting (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I recently had an issue trying to upgrade the firmware on a secondhand car stereo (Sony MEX-N4200BT) I followed all the instructions regarding formatting the USB stick, copying the latest firmware to it and installing it but every time it came up with an upload error message, after much head scratching and Internet investigation I began to wonder if Windows had changed how it formats drives and it turns out they have, Windows 10 (and later) formats FAT16 leaving the partition id as 0x0E whereas earlier versions leave the id as 0x06 so a USB stick formatted to FAT16 in Windows 10 cannot be read by a device expecting a partition id from an earlier version, the fix requires either using a disk partition tool or if you're happy working from a command line you can do the following. After which I was able to upload the latest firmware to the stereo.

Step 1. Press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialogue. Type diskpart and hit Enter to run Diskpart.

Step 2. Type list volume and press Enter.

Step 3. Type select volume # (ex: volume 8) and press Enter to select the volume/partition of which you want to change partition type ID. This will be the USB drive you are using.

Step 4. Type set id=# (ex: id=06) and press Enter to set a new partition type ID.

(Tips: The leading "0x" of the ID is omitted when specifying the hexadecimal partition type.)

Step 5. Type exit and press Enter to exit Diskpart.

For MBR based partitions, the value for the type field is in hexadecimal form like these:

0x01 FAT12
0x04 FAT16, less than 32 MB
0x06 FAT16, greater than 32 MB
0x07 NTFS
0x0B FAT32, used by DOS & Win95
0x0C FAT32 using LBA mode to access to FAT32 partition Window 10 and above
0x0E FAT16 using LBA mode to access to FAT16 partition Windows 10 and above.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back