Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I don't think it is as simple as that. I need my computer to be reliable for my work. Knowing MS their support for 7, which is now pretty old, will run out soon, just as the support for XP already has. And then I will have to buy a new computer or a new system system, or be left with a system that has the same problem as XP has now. However I can get 10 for free at the moment. All I need to be sure of is that my present software will work.

And my Windows 7 is getting a bit slow, whereas reports are that 10 is faster on many machines.

Two separate issues neither is a reason to upgrade in my opinion...
The first. Windows 7 support is guaranteed until 2020. You will still receive all the security patches until then.

The second is windows 7 slowing down is normal for all Windows OS's. The only known cure is to reinstall from scratch. It does speed things up a lot. What I did with my very very old Dell laptop was to put a fresh SSD drive in it and do a fresh install of my current windows. Then I put the old hard drive in a very cheap external hard disk enclosure to copy the data back. That gave me a much bigger speed boost than "upgrading to the next OS they brought out"

The only other reason I can think for upgrading is if you need DX11 or whatever version they are up to now for the latest games.

It does sound like you want to upgrade though...

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
If I dislike windows 10 can I revert back to previous versions if I've backed up ?
Yes, I did. No need to backup, it's done for you.

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't use any of the progs you list-but Libre Office is working so I can't see why Microsoft Office wouldn't
My printer is Canon MG 6350 and that is working ok.
MS Office 2007 unaffected as was my printer (Lexmark E260dn). Chrome works (wife uses it on hers for some reason) but do try Edge - it's totally unlike IE. PDF readers are plentiful & free so I don't know about your specific version. Other progs you list I don't use. Try W10 - you can always roll back if it causes you problems.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I upgrade because it's free, I can, and I don't have to if I don't want to. I do it because I don't want to be forced into it a few years on when I'll be older and may find it harder to cope with the change. Anyway, for a while at least, it's nice to have something new to tinker with. The week before I upgraded to W10 (and not because of W10 - an HDD failed) I bought a new motherboard and CPU, an SSD, and two 500GB HDDs. My PC is like the proverbial brush - it started life in 1990 but nothing of the original remains.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Yes, I did. No need to backup, it's done for you.

Dave
Went down that route Dave...Via recovery....... it wouldn't let me (n) The files needed for this have been deleted ???? Only installed on Saturday...seems to be a common occurrence :(

Last edited:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Well! that didnt go too great, just to try out win 10 i did the upgrade from win 7 on a spare pc, new install of win 7 all working ok and activated. Then download the upgrade and ran in all seems to be ok, cant say i much like 10, 7 nicer to use. Went to see what updates there are already for 10 quiet a few, then a massage ....you must activate win 10 to use the function, so go to activate online no wont have it the version of windows i have is not licenced!! its thier bloody version. Anyway play around for a few hours phone MS they try to activate no joy. So pull the drive and forget about 10 for a while.....or longer.
Steve

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Well! that didnt go too great, just to try out win 10 i did the upgrade from win 7 on a spare pc, new install of win 7 all working ok and activated. Then download the upgrade and ran in all seems to be ok, cant say i much like 10, 7 nicer to use. Went to see what updates there are already for 10 quiet a few, then a massage ....you must activate win 10 to use the function, so go to activate online no wont have it the version of windows i have is not licenced!! its thier bloody version. Anyway play around for a few hours phone MS they try to activate no joy. So pull the drive and forget about 10 for a while.....or longer.
Steve
Oops a daisy Steve. :doh:

Cheers,

Jock.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Went down that route Dave...Via recovery....... it wouldn't let me (n) The files needed for this have been deleted ???? Only installed on Saturday...seems to be a common occurrence :(

(y) NB. to self have updated my signature :whistle2:

Aug 10, 2012
Worthing.West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Empty Nest
Exp
Since 1972
Took an hour to download Windows 10.
On Windows 8.1 I could save "Favourites" and pin them to the start so that the "tiles" were displayed when starting. This made life easy as all I had to do was to click on the relevant tile but now it seems that I can only get to the Favourites Bar by going through to Internet Explorer or on AOL where they are just listed in a top to bottom list.
Does anyone know if it is possible to get the "tiles" back for the Start screen?

Also the regular tiles are in a band, top to bottom, down one half of the Start page.
Again I preferred the 8.1 system of having them displayed across the page, left to right.
Is it possible to change that?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Took an hour to download Windows 10.
On Windows 8.1 I could save "Favourites" and pin them to the start so that the "tiles" were displayed when starting. This made life easy as all I had to do was to click on the relevant tile but now it seems that I can only get to the Favourites Bar by going through to Internet Explorer or on AOL where they are just listed in a top to bottom list.
Does anyone know if it is possible to get the "tiles" back for the Start screen?

Also the regular tiles are in a band, top to bottom, down one half of the Start page.
Again I preferred the 8.1 system of having them displayed across the page, left to right.
Is it possible to change that?
I'm using Edge with all my old Favourites & the link bar across the top - I simply imported them when I loaded Edge for the first time.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Just regressed to Win 7. Didn't like the fact office 2007 didn't integrate very well, video capture software had a bit of a fit.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I did a clean install of Win10 on a spare drive, total disaster, doesn't like my graphics card apparently.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
did mine last week and im a happy bunny i was having loads of problems with 7pro wouldnt shut down and took ages to load 10 is very fast loading and shuts done properly now
getting a few boxes popping up asking permissions and i have a phpto on the desktop i cant delete but im mostly happy

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
An old thread I know but with Win 10 still on offer no harm in resurrecting it. I changed as my laptop running Win 7 was playing up, possibly I read on another thread, that it struggles with only 2mb of RAM which on mine was not upgradable. Given that 7 itself was an upgrade from Vista tells you how old it was so I decided to go without food for a week month and buy a new laptop. That came with 8.1 so I upgraded to 10 last month and have today installed my old MS Money from a 2004 Office disk. There was a thread a while back about options now Money is gone. The biggest problem I had was finding the backup files to go with it but that too I've managed. Now it's up running I've got four months of accounts to input. :xsad:

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 when it was first offered but not sure that I like the automatic updates,it did one today and now my touchpad isn't working right.It won't scroll or pinch/expand,been on trying to search for solutions and it seems this has happened to quite a few people.Tried rolling back with no luck,so went into settings and tried to update,still no luck.:xangry:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I bought this lap top about 10 months ago. It's on 8. Got offered 10 yesterday but just shut it. Bad enough when I bought lap top & turned on to 50+ updates that then completely corrupted the thing so much that the wife had to deinstall & restart from fresh. Auto updates then got turned off.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It won't give up, I zapped all W10 files and all was quiet for a month, now it's making me The Offer again. I reckon I'm going to end up awakening with a horses head next to me at this rate.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Right now it's saying "preparing for installation".

So many good reports here, I'll have another look.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And now....

IF YOU LIVE IN (OR IF YOUR PRINCIPAL PLACE OF BUSINESS IS IN) THE UNITED STATES, PLEASE READ THE BINDING ARBITRATION CLAUSE AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER IN SECTION 10. IT AFFECTS HOW DISPUTES ARE RESOLVED.

We are like turkeys voting for more Christmases.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Right for all you Win 10 experts :cautious: All my thumbnail pics are faint whatever size icons I select and no end of messing with settings will alter it. Googling doesn't help much either so how are your pics displaying in their folders?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back