Wiltshire, Salisbury appear not to want Motorhome visitors (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 22, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I can't say I blame them. My daughter works in the legal department of a council. It's a hell of a job getting them to move, costing no end of money and resources too

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
just-looking

avonview

Free Member
Aug 10, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
As above nice walk along the Avon into town and waitrose
You cannot walk along the Avon at present, Salisbury is in the mist of major disruption , the main car park where there are campervan parking spaces is running at 25% capacity this all due to flood defence work, a lot of city roads are currently one way or closed. I would recommend not visiting Salisbury until it’s finished. It really is awful in there at present.

Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Just to add re Salcombe P&R, we've just come back from a week touring that area. There is a petrol station with a butchers opposite. If you buy some very nice produce from the butcher or wave a few £1s at him, he'll let you park in his car park for the day. You can then nip over the road and get the bus into town or there is a lovely footpath that takes about 10 mins.
Unfortunately we found South Devon is tricky to park MH as others have mentioned. Speak to local businesses and they are frustrated as they need the custom. Also parked at Slapford Sands car park overnight. It says you can't but around 6 - 8 MH each night, all quiet and made sure we left everything spotless.
It was actually noisier at the C&CC camp site there overnight with a twit playing music all night - only go on sites to empty, refill and wash clothes for that reason.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Quite a few South Hams long stay car parks allow overnighting (paid), including Totnes riverside, Kimgsbridge and Dartmouth park and ride. In North Devon, similar but cheaper arrangements are in place for many car parks.
Torridge district council also have MH overnight parking allowed @ westward ho,bideford, torrington ,holsworthy & A[ppledorehttps://www.torridge.gov.uk/article/20348/Overnight-parking-for-motorhomes-and-campervans

Gone up.Used to be a fiver. Worth checking on parking notice before paying though as commercials over 3,5Tonnes were only two quid??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Jim

Would it be worth having a Sticky on MHFun listing the Councils in UK which do provide MH overnight facilities.

Apart from the use for MHFun Members it might provoke the Councils who currently refuse to do so into a change of policy if they realise that they are being left behind.

Your thoughts please Jim

Geoff

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Some councils are fearful of their park and ride being inundated with many travellers and then not being able to get them off, hence the height restriction. Came across this in Oxford and i think they have put restrictions in place.
I know this is often their reasoning. But isn’t an issue for Canterbury!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I know this is often their reasoning. But isn’t an issue for Canterbury!

Canterbury used to have a height barrier just after the left turn into the original MH 'Aire'.

The barrier somehow got 'broken' about 5-6 years ago. It was not replaced.

Since then not only have MHs had access to the overflow parking on the right at the back, plenty of space and quiet, but also there have been no problems, but it should be noted that the office by the bus stop is staffed from 0800-2000(?) and they wander around periodically - they are a good bunch and friendly to MHers.

minesapint

Free Member
Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Decided I fancied visiting Salisbury on a tour down to Devon & Cornwall in September. Looking for suitable park & ride. Originally spoke to the Red Bus company who wrongly informed me there were no restrictions parking my ambulance size Motorhome in the car park.

On double checking on Google Earth I saw the car parks were all height restricted at 8 feet, but FREE to park and pay the bus fare. I then spoke to Wiltshire Council who said I could park at the Britford park and ride Coach Park but must phone them first to give registration number to prevent getting a ticket. I would also have to pay the coach parking fee and the bus fare on top!

So I take the view they don’t want us to visit, shame on them really.

Salcombe park and ride refuses campervans too. I wonder if this is an advanced warning on what to expect on our travels, there is no wonder we generally camp abroad ☹️

We just have to hope we find campsites with busses close by
Why not just find a campsite, ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
I forgot to mention P&R at Dartmouth allows overnight parking for free if you arrive after 6pm. You obviously need to pay if you're there during the day for 2 spaces if you're long, but it is good value. There is also a swimming pool alongside and you can use the showers for £1 if you wanted to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back