Will this ruin the original charger (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
LG 616 DS/IU Lead acid charger in a Knaus 2006
I am removing the 2 x 80ah lead acid batteries and putting in 460ah lithium and was going to leave the original charger in but it says only suitable for up to 160ah. See photo
The lithium would also be charged by solar via victron mppt and b2 b
Will the charger burn out when on hook up charging the lithium and lead acid engine battery

image.jpg

image.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
As a rule they always say with lead batteries a charger of at least 10% of battery capacity. The old type charger you have is not ideal to charge lithium batteries anyway. But if you did, it would take a long time to charge from flat. So would likely overheat causing early failure

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
As above, sounds like you can disconnect (pull fuse) the on- board charger as you won't need it and isn't lithium compatible.

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
As a rule they always say with lead batteries a charger of at least 10% of battery capacity. The old type charger you have is not ideal to charge lithium batteries anyway. But if you did, it would take a long time to charge from flat. So would likely overheat causing early failure
Its what i thought just needed it confirmed

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
As above, sounds like you can disconnect (pull fuse) the on- board charger as you won't need it and isn't lithium compatible.
I havent got my head around if its that simple yet
I think the way forward is to replace this charger with a victron one charge the engine battery via battery master
The thing i have to overcome is the connections that control the main control panel reference the charger battery 1 and 2 and there readings when you press the button on it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Best to disconnect the charger as I think it will interfere with the b2b Lenny HB will confer. If you rely on hook-up youā€™ll need to install a lithium chargerā€¦

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Best to disconnect the charger as I think it will interfere with the b2b Lenny HB will confer. If you rely on hook-up youā€™ll need to install a lithium chargerā€¦
Yes untill I understand it all I will simply unplug the charger although could use if needed as long as the 460ah is only 25% down

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
In the first stage of charging (bulk) the charger turns on its full amps output, and waits to see what the battery voltage goes to. For a fairly flat battery (less than 70%) the voltage won't reach the absorption voltage. The charger continues to output its full amps as the voltage slowly rises. When it reaches the preset absorption voltage, it flips to the absorption stage. This may take several hours if the battery is very flat.

A good quality charger, like Victron or CTEK, can keep pushing its full output 24/7/365, it is designed properly so it can do that. Other chargers apparently can't do that, and become overheated if the full output time is prolonged for any reason. That's why there is a recommended limit on the amp-hour capacity of the charger. I have on numerous occasions fully charged a pair of flat 100Ah batteries using a CTEK 5A charger.

I like the Victron BlueSmart IP65 range of chargers, 4A to 25A. They are small, weatherproof and bomb-proof. They have a full range of profile settings including lithium, and you can watch them from an app via Bluetooth if you really want.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Shouldn't make any odds.

I thought that the b2b will see the charge coming from the on board charger and will reduce its own output, therefore the b2b not using its full potentialā€¦šŸ¤”

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve read that on here somewhereā€¦.

Jul 26, 2018
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696D
Exp
Owned AutoTrail Navajo from March 2013 until replaced with current van in 2020
I thought that the b2b will see the charge coming from the on board charger and will reduce its own output, therefore the b2b not using its full potentialā€¦šŸ¤”

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve read that on here somewhereā€¦.
But you won't have the engine running while you are on EHU so the B2B won't be doing anything until you unplug from the mains and drive away...

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
But you won't have the engine running while you are on EHU so the B2B won't be doing anything until you unplug from the mains and drive away...
Possibly for a few seconds as i have been known to drive away still with cable attatched which is why now i always wind it round my drivers wing mirror when connecting to mains LOL

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:Doh!!

Perhaps I was thinking of something elseā€¦šŸ¤”šŸ˜†šŸ¤£

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:Doh!!

Perhaps I was thing of something elseā€¦šŸ¤”šŸ˜†šŸ¤£
If you have a smart Victron mains charger and a smart Victron solar controller networked and synched the mains charger will turn the solar off when the battery is nearly full, and after a period at float will go into storage mode with a reduced voltage, pretty much all the settings are configurable to suit your particular battery's requirements.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back