Wife had knee replaced 2 days ago. Realistically when could we get away in Motorhome. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I know it's early days and each case is different but she had knee replaced 2 days ago and we're hopeful we might do a few trips this year???

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I have had both knees done. Personally I would leave it at least three months and then only as a passenger.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
As you said everyone is different, but my mum, at 90, had a knee replacement in September and came out to Spain for Christmas. She walked around Cartagena, including the steps in the amphitheatre and got around the guns near Mazarron.

Good luck to your wife for as quick a recovery.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I think it's 6 weeks before she should drive, and as a passenger it will depend on how comfortable she is getting in and out. Personally I would not rush it, an accident now could ruin the knee

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Everyone is different and it very much depends how comfortable and confident she is getting about. 6 weeks is the normal no driving period so this might be a reasonable guide. However I wouldn’t rule it out once she can get around at home without using sticks. As long as she can get her knee raised, has room to do all the exercises and you have ice to control swelling she might be happy sooner than this. I would avoid long trips to start with, perhaps even try spending a day in your motorhome without going away.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Usually at 6 weeks you can drive, so as a passenger getting in and out, sitting, getting on the bed, general comfort are all crucial.
I have had one hip and two knees replaced over the last 15 years and always liked to get away from the house for a change, not necessarily in the van and a different view.
Our first trip out after my hip, 15 years ago, we stopped at a CAMC site and pitched near to the toilet block so I had easy access in case I had difficulty using the loo in the van, as it happened I didn’t.
I don’t think it matters whether you are still on sticks or not, it is about comfort, manouverability and not expecting to do very much.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
What did the surgeons say and how is she coping and healing? That is the questions I would be asking, you could still book provisional sites or do a flexi booking so that there is something to aim for and if not fit enough can re schedule

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
My wife’s was replaced on 4/5. She can access the Motorhome and has been out for a day in it but we are still heavily into exercise & physio, so remaining at home, but hope to go away end of August for 6 weeks. Have cancelled ferry to Spain & staying in U.K. instead.

We have discovered everyone is different in their recovery, how much bend, stiffness etc etc but I recall the physio at the very outset said we MAY be able to get away by August & time travelling will be a big consideration. I think we will be able to but not sure how far she will be able to walk at any one time.

The real problem is stiffness & inflammation which we believe is caused by the huge tourniquet. Pain free though & walking after 2 hours 😊

Lack of information and specific advice, other than an exercise sheet initially, we also now think she has done TOO MUCH exercise which has delayed the recovery process and from conversations with medical professionals it sounds like if you are fit and active with good leg muscles you are likely to find recovery slower as they try to heal. Who knows but we’re getting there 😜 and everyone is very different.

Last edited:

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
I've had both knees done in the last 12 months.
Try to bend both knees 110° daily .
Exercise exercise exercise.
One knee will be weaker.....

Cheers🍻

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Think it depends on the individual..I was walking without cruches in 3 weeks after i had my knee done ..BUSBY driving to Spain in six..Just had hip done..well 3 weeks ago..Still on two crutches outside but just mowed the lawn with my hover and was driving in less than a week..
.BUSBY..

Reactions: DBK
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
My wife had her knee replacement 9 weeks ago and is doing just grate we are away with the boat doin locks and bridges.
Walking without a stick or anything
Wildbill
I don't think she should be sitting by the fire!!! Best to get some exercise.

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Doctors and psysios are always concervative ,, Its Nanny NHS ,, some people need 6 weeks , some much longer and some can cope fine in less than 3weeks its down to individuals ,,,, and some never walk again after implants due to doctors screwing it up

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
I had TKR 30th August last year. We flew to Spain end of October. Drove to the Alps for Christmas.
The drive to Spain in October would have been too much - too long sitting but shorter trips would have been fine
She’ll know when she can…
Word is people are so shocked by the pain in the first 6 weeks surgeons don’t make appointments til after then!
I found it very painful but it goes !
Also I stopped the very strict exercise regime it seemed to me much more important to heal than force more
I have great movement now

She’ll know when things are right

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As you can see from the various replies the only real consensus is ask your surgeon or physio!

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Neither of whom will know specifically re pain and movement - general rules yes of course
But for I’d be waiting 6 weeks and asking your wife how she feels !!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Neither of whom will know specifically re pain and movement - general rules yes of course
But for I’d be waiting 6 weeks and asking your wife how she feels !!
They will certainly have a better idea than a random selection of people who happen to have an interest in motorhomes! My wife has three broken bones in her left hand at the moment just starting physio in two weeks time. We asked the hand consultant on what to do about a previously booked holiday and driving. I'd rather ask someone who has done a medical degree and spent several years becoming a consultant in a narrow area of orthopaedics than a bloke who has a sketchy knowledge of 12 v electrics!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Although to be fair to us dodgy motorhome doctor types .... Some people were offering their personal experience after TKR, which helps to give broader expectation on recovery times ....

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
As you can see from the various replies the only real consensus is ask your surgeon or physio!
Or yourself...I didn't do hospital physio after my knee replacement..but decided my main aims were to get my walking and cycling back to normal..Think the cycling did the most good because it forces you to bent the knee joint..Recovered very quickly..That was 11 years ago..less pain in my hip I had done 3 weeks ago but don't think I will recover quite as quick..Only using one crutch now though. BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back