Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
Looking at maybe getting a router for my camper which is a self build.
Are they any better than just using a phones data and sharing that.
I notice the zte gets mentioned on here but doesn’t come with an antenna.
Thanks in advance

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Does the ZTE have TS9 or SMA antenna ports? If the former, do you need a lead/adapter to convert the antenna cable from SMA to TS9? I don’t recall if our antenna came with such.
It's got TS9 sockets and, yes, we've got SMA to TS9 adapter cables for our Poynting MiMo aerial. The supplied "sticks" are TS9 fitment.

Upvote 0
May 3, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
I have a Huawei Mifi which is older (4g) but has external ports. I was all for a poynting type and was thinking of replacing my status aerial with it.

However I bought a £12 pair of high gain antenna which I just either put out the window or the skylight and having a PVC they are magnetic on the roof.

I've not failed to get a signal yet, even with zero on the phones in the van tin can.

Not pretty but cheap 😆

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
Another thing that put me off the RUTX50 is the fact I might need to take a laptop (the one I have is really old) with me when I go away in case I need to change the settings.
Or am I being dramatic.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I have a Huawei Mifi which is older (4g) but has external ports. I was all for a poynting type and was thinking of replacing my status aerial with it.

However I bought a £12 pair of high gain antenna which I just either put out the window or the skylight and having a PVC they are magnetic on the roof.

I've not failed to get a signal yet, even with zero on the phones in the van tin can.

The issue in general with the external high gain antenna that plop on roof is they are great in a PVC, but rubbish in a coachbuilt, ground plane makes all the difference (a coachbuilt has zero ground plane, so would be better on a Poynting). Equally I would say some mobile frequencies can lose a lot of the signal in the typically "longer" flex provided on a high gain antenna, versus the tiny amount of cable from an antenna directly above a locker.

that said, if my van was a PVC, I'd probbaly have a mag mount antenna for the ground plane. Unfortunatly I own a Coachbuilt so had to have a proper one.

ie, I would NOT advise a roof high gain to work as effectively on a "non PVC" van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That a
Does the ZTE have TS9 or SMA antenna ports? If the former, do you need a lead/adapter to convert the antenna cable from SMA to TS9? I don’t recall if our antenna came with such.
TS9 on the mifi, I bought fly leads and SMA to TS9 straight adapters of a funster and only used fly leads.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Another thing that put me off the RUTX50 is the fact I might need to take a laptop (the one I have is really old) with me when I go away in case I need to change the settings.
Or am I being dramatic.
We don’t take a lap top, browser on phone or tablet enables access to settings.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
Finally took the plunge and gone for the zte 5001 with a poynting mimo antenna,
Couldn’t justify the extra cost of the RUTX 50 for my needs.

Upvote 1
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The issue in general with the external high gain antenna that plop on roof is they are great in a PVC, but rubbish in a coachbuilt, ground plane makes all the difference (a coachbuilt has zero ground plane, so would be better on a Poynting). Equally I would say some mobile frequencies can lose a lot of the signal in the typically "longer" flex provided on a high gain antenna, versus the tiny amount of cable from an antenna directly above a locker.

that said, if my van was a PVC, I'd probbaly have a mag mount antenna for the ground plane. Unfortunatly I own a Coachbuilt so had to have a proper one.

ie, I would NOT advise a roof high gain to work as effectively on a "non PVC" van.
If you really need a ground plane, a 400mm square ally plate under the antenna is more than enough. Thats how cb antenna are mounted on fibreglass.
My pointing is isolated with a rubber pad to the van surface so no benefit of a metal roof unless grounded. But as you said, poynting mimo does not need additional ground plane, it has one built in.
My cb aerial needed a ground so I had to rub the paint a little where is mounted through the roof.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
Now I just need to do some research on a 5g data sim for in the uk.
Not going overseas till Easter so I’ll cross the eu sim issue then.
Thanks again for all the help on this thread.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
mick qc. Unlike others, I didn't get on with the ZTE MU5001, as at 2 x separate locations, admittedly within Lincolnshire, it didn't perform any better than an earlier ZTE Cat 6 MiFi, nor a Netgear MR2 CAT 20 MiFi, all of which were connected to the same Poynting 3 V2 12 Antenna, using the same ID Mobile sim card, (Three Network). I was so disappointed, I ended up sending it back. :(

As an experiment, I have since installed a previous TP-Link home router, which is giving me better results, albeit not from the North Norfolk Coast, which has always been dodgy for signal strength, no matter which provider I have been with, confirmed by fellow campers on the EE & Vodafone networks, also struggling.

I hope your new kit serves you well, and that you'll be happy with it's performance. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1p mobile ( uses EE) does some good offers and are 5G sims
If you do go 1P I can give you code for £5 which we both get😊

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Have a look at Scanxom data only Sims on Amazon.
Might won't for you, UK only no roaming.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
For data and 5G, the EE unlimited is hard to beat in terms of performance, coverage and support. Even in EU the EE roaming is fantastic all inclusive and no throttle back.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have a EE unlimited business sim in my ZTE mu5001 and seen plenty of 5G and a 1 p mobile in phone (not 5g phone) and only failed once on phone but mifi worked if I moved it, so much better than the previous Smarty sims (3network)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
I fancy the IQ Sim card mainly because I can just add data as I need it. I don’t want a monthly plan because sometimes I don’t use the van for six weeks or so specially between November and February.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
I have a EE unlimited business sim in my ZTE mu5001 and seen plenty of 5G and a 1 p mobile in phone (not 5g phone) and only failed once on phone but mifi worked if I moved it, so much better than the previous Smarty sims (3network)
Cheers for that. Can I ask, is it possible to wire directly to my 12v supply. Obviously via a 5 or 10 amp fuse

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Cheers for that. Can I ask, is it possible to wire directly to my 12v supply. Obviously via a 5 or 10 amp fuse
I swapped the 12 volt buck I used for my Huawei router for a switched usb socket, I did this because I believe it’s not good to have them permanently on charge, I just turn it on when it gets low.
Also for mounting it in the van, PaulandChrissy has 3D printed a holder for me , not got it as they are away.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
This is my USB
image.jpg

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I fancy the IQ Sim card mainly because I can just add data as I need it. I don’t want a monthly plan because sometimes I don’t use the van for six weeks or so specially between November and February.
Only point I'd make ia s monthly plan may cost more for that month than say 100Gb a month prepaid.

IQ is good for people who rarely use the van, we only really miss Novemeber and Feb (we use ours in Dec and Jan). As we only don't use it for one month we just have a annual plan (UK only) for 2 networks. 3 months of 100Gb paid monthly pays for an entire year of the same data (refreshed every month) on the same network if you prepay via someone like Scancom.

Remeber a prepaid sim in France is also FAR cheaper than a UK sim -> Reglo are around 19 euro for a month with 400Gb .. and available in most hypermarkets, ie, it's cheaper to have a UK sim & and European one. I know people don't like swapping sim, but it really isn't a lot of faff, we now have 4 sims preconfigured on our router (APN codes) and just switch APN from 3 to EE to Reglo. You will need a VPN if you use BBC iplayer ... however we have one already for other reasons such as 3pm Saturday kickoffs which a UK sim card is geo-blocked from watching.

Digi in Spain is similarly cheap if you want cheap data there. Neither sim roam well across borders, but thats not a Brexit thing, its an EU thing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
Only point I'd make ia s monthly plan may cost more for that month than say 100Gb a month prepaid.

IQ is good for people who rarely use the van, we only really miss Novemeber and Feb (we use ours in Dec and Jan). As we only don't use it for one month we just have a annual plan (UK only) for 2 networks. 3 months of 100Gb paid monthly pays for an entire year of the same data (refreshed every month) on the same network if you prepay via someone like Scancom.

Remeber a prepaid sim in France is also FAR cheaper than a UK sim -> Reglo are around 19 euro for a month with 400Gb .. and available in most hypermarkets, ie, it's cheaper to have a UK sim & and European one. I know people don't like swapping sim, but it really isn't a lot of faff, we now have 4 sims preconfigured on our router (APN codes) and just switch APN from 3 to EE to Reglo. You will need a VPN if you use BBC iplayer ... however we have one already for other reasons such as 3pm Saturday kickoffs which a UK sim card is geo-blocked from watching.

Digi in Spain is similarly cheap if you want cheap data there. Neither sim roam well across borders, but thats not a Brexit thing, its an EU thing.
Cheers.
It’s a pity you can’t just buy 100gb data sim and just keep using it till it’s gone, then get another. instead of having only a month to use it all up.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Cheers.
It’s a pity you can’t just buy 100gb data sim and just keep using it till it’s gone, then get another. instead of having only a month to use it all up.
I still own some old Vodafone sims that never expire like that, they stopped doing them as it stopped people like me having a drawer full of 100Gb sims that were technically active. They however were not a good deal (about £100 to buy) they weer backup data for my house until I just swapped it for a sim that works out at £20/year for 100Gb a month. So twelve times the data for ... one fith of the cost.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner lyseo 590
Exp
March 2022
Cheers.
We bought an EE 120 g sim from Argos.. lasts 12 months and was £60 .. we tend to only go away for weekends as we’re still both working so it’s perfect for us

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Cheers for that. I have the same socket with the blue light somewhere else in my van I’ll just have to reposition it.
Is your unit just plugged directly into that socket via the USB?
Yes, I’ve got sockets in cupboard and mifi outside cupboard behind curtain Velcro’s to wall ( soon to be in a 3D holder

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back