Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
Looking at maybe getting a router for my camper which is a self build.
Are they any better than just using a phones data and sharing that.
I notice the zte gets mentioned on here but doesn’t come with an antenna.
Thanks in advance

OP
OP
M
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
Another question. Probably a stupid one.
Would reception be better, individually if I got a router with a data sim and all 4 of us tether to that vs each one of us having our own data sim for our own individual phones.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Depending on the router and sim service. If you use a mimo with carrier aggregation, it can increase your bandwidth, or even double sim with double modem.
But some new phones can be pretty good if there is signal. My iPhone 15 beats teltonika Rutx11 by a mile if there is 3 or more bars signal. But where the signal is weak, like one or two bars on the phone, the router can get 4 bars and better speed.

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2021
Thame UK
Funster No
MH
boxer compass 140
Exp
A newbie solo
I purchased a falcon multi mobile router for my van have found it very good so far it can be used by 10 devices at once ,my iPhone is only a iPhone 11 , the cost is between £150 and £190 .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Another question. Probably a stupid one.
Would reception be better, individually if I got a router with a data sim and all 4 of us tether to that vs each one of us having our own data sim for our own individual phones.
Not a stupid question at all. It depends on the kinds of places you will be staying. If you are staying in a big coastal camp site with a phone mast a hundred metres away, then the individual phones will be fine. Or the site could be like the one I used in the Dales last month, with hills all around and zero reception even on my super Poynting roof aerial and Teltonika router.

Basically, look at the size of the aerial, compared with the postage-stamp size of the aerial inside a phone - a big aerial beats a small aerial when the signal is bad. Also the metal shell of the MH will tend to shield the phones from the mast signal. Placing them near windows will usually improve the signal.

I like a separate router for other reasons. When in the EU I can get a local data sim for the router. Our phones still keep the same UK SIM, so we can be contacted on our usual numbers if necessary. The phones can hotspot to the router for streaming etc, without using our expensive/limited EU roaming allowance. Also using Wifi Calling or apps like WhatsApp I can make calls without using up the phone roaming allowance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
Cheers for the advice.
the reasons you mentioned are why I’m looking at a router.
I like the zte u50 mainly because of the good feed back on here and he answered my query about setting on the device. It also has a port for an antenna if I need one in the future.
I also like the teltonika only because it has antennas on it 😂, giving the appearance that I will have better reception.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
If there is only one antenna port it is not as good as routers with two or 4 antenna ports. Two antennas carry signal from two towers.
Carrier aggregation and router spec will have MIMO, multi in multi out.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve got a Huawei B535-232 which is 12volt and has 2 antenna ports and a 12volt buck works well and just happens I will be putting in on Classifieds in September

Upvote 1
OP
OP
M
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
If there is only one antenna port it is not as good as routers with two or 4 antenna ports. Two antennas carry signal from two towers.
Carrier aggregation and router spec will have MIMO, multi in multi out.
Thanks for this advice.
My need to look a bit deeper into the different specs

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Thanks for this advice.
My need to look a bit deeper into the different specs
TBH 2 antenna ports allow the important bonding you need these days. Some frequencies are "downlink only" now in rural parts, meaning you can download but CANNOT uploads. You cannot even use these freqencies without a router with 2 or 4 antenna. Why is this important, well in UK at least it's the main expension Three are doing right now (and is COMMONLY seen at rural places).

The important thing is checking band support for the carriers you plan to use, if it's Three, Band 28 and 32 support are the key things to know as near every router will do the normal B1/3/20 that most carriers in Europe will use.
If using 5g be aware its rare to see on campsites today, but where it does exist it works FAR better than 4g on the same signal.

Rural stuff you 100% need a roof antenna, as we've been to too many campsites where phones don't even get signals placed on roof or on a pole, where a roof antenna works. However if you plan to visit mostly towns you are unlikely to need this, ir's more (in UK) rural Norfolk and Wales that require this.

Ref; which device, it really depends on budget. Go for the highest LTE category number you can afford is my top tip.... with the band support above.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
TBH 2 antenna ports allow the important bonding you need these days. Some frequencies are "downlink only" now in rural parts, meaning you can download but CANNOT uploads. You cannot even use these freqencies without a router with 2 or 4 antenna. Why is this important, well in UK at least it's the main expension Three are doing right now (and is COMMONLY seen at rural places).

The important thing is checking band support for the carriers you plan to use, if it's Three, Band 28 and 32 support are the key things to know as near every router will do the normal B1/3/20 that most carriers in Europe will use.
If using 5g be aware its rare to see on campsites today, but where it does exist it works FAR better than 4g on the same signal.

Rural stuff you 100% need a roof antenna, as we've been to too many campsites where phones don't even get signals placed on roof or on a pole, where a roof antenna works. However if you plan to visit mostly towns you are unlikely to need this, ir's more (in UK) rural Norfolk and Wales that require this.

Ref; which device, it really depends on budget. Go for the highest LTE category number you can afford is my top tip.... with the band support above.
Thanks for this info.
I do go into a lot of rural campsites here and abroad.
I have looked at this model, but seems quite expensive.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Thanks for this info.
I do go into a lot of rural campsites here and abroad.
I have looked at this model, but seems quite expensive.
Thats cat4 (max of 150Mbit) so is one to avoid. Look at buying a seperate panorama antenna (or poynting) + router with tails then buy the router seperately.

Cat4 devices can't do ANY of the modern frequency/bands so see congestion in places a more modern cat6, cat12 or even cat20 device will not. Cat20 devices are around £140 on ebay new, unlocked (they are around £300 new). The difference is a cat6 device can do 300Mbit peak, a cat12, 600Mbit, and a cat20 around 1.5Gig. On the same towers a higher category will send more data per timeslot, so give you faster speeds on a congested cell.

ie, treat the antenna and dongle as seperate, and don't buy a bundle is my advice, as you can buy say a ZTE device with antenna ports and ADD the antenna later. As you doing a built, I'd probably buy a Poynting (these are in the £80-120 region) antenna later, but leave space in a locker and a 12V supply for the router undeneath where you will put it!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
Thanks again,
Cat 20 bit out of my price range, as it’s only to watch the odd footy match and Netflix on 1or 2 devices. Not for working whilst away,
I’ve noticed it’s not always clear when looking on the specs of the particular items

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I bought this cat20 mifi grade c ,with heavy marks but it is immaculate

Or

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
I bought this cat20 mifi grade c ,with heavy marks but it is immaculate

Or
Thanks for those links. They might be just the dogs b###

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks for those links. They might be just the dogs b###
We've got the first link in Manic post but they are all out of stock now.

We got a very similar performance from it over the past few weeks compared to a Huawei e5577cs and Poynting MiMo aerial.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
This is what I’m getting using the ZTEMU5001 on an EE business sim in not so sunny, it’s p***ing down Askam in Furnace
1724767335036.jpeg

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Looks great. Have you an antenna fitted
Yes , this one
, but I read on here the mifi doesn’t use the antenna on 4G which I’m getting now but I’ve been getting regular 5G, more than expected when travelling around

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
I have 2 solar panels fitted on a fiamma roof rack. There is a gap at the rear between the last panel and the rear of the roof rack. This is where I’m hoping to fit an antenna, is there any evidence of roof rails interfering with the signal.
Also is the length of cable from the router to the antenna best kept as short as possible..
My camper is a panel fan as well
Thanks again for an help.

Upvote 0
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Have to say we managed most of the time with our phones. We just tether our 2 tablets to the my phone. Don't have a router or mifi which are probably better but I got a good signal for about 90% of time.

One advantage of my phone was, being a uk sim, it allowed us to get stuff that when on site wifi we got a message " Not available in EU".

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
I looked at the teltonika RUTx50. Thought maybe I should spend a bit more money.
Then I read a conversation on here about problems with the unit compared to the cost and It put me off.
A lot of the zte mu 5001 on ebay don’t seem to have the full package charger and antenna etc.

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I looked at the teltonika RUTx50. Thought maybe I should spend a bit more money.
Then I read a conversation on here about problems with the unit compared to the cost and It put me off.
A lot of the zte mu 5001 on ebay don’t seem to have the full package charger and antenna etc.
That router with appropriate Poynting antenna works well for us with limited configuration changes (APN settings etc). Not chasing the highest theoretical speeds, more a reliable, usable, interweb pipe when mobile, remote or at high attendance events. Having 2 different network SIMs onboard (EE & 3) helps to ensure coverage. So far, so good for us…

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
We manage well most of the time by hotspotting our phone. UK is not as reliable as Europe but we really have not had any major problems even streaming BBC and similar.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
They only charge of usb-c so no drama if you don’t get charger, I didn’t and they come with short stubby antennas but you can sort a better antenna easily and cheaper than is you bought as a kit.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Even a new ZTE MU5001 only comes with a USB A to USB C cable for charging via a computer / USB charging point so wouldn't worry about that element.

In relation to the lack of the stick antennas if you are considering an external aerial, eg the Poynting MiMo mentioned above this uses the same aerial socket connections on the unit so the "sticks" are surplus to requirements.

However, be aware the aerial connections, whether using the "sticks" or an external aerial are only applicable to 5g with 3g / 4g being captured by the internal aerials.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

I’ve been using a Teltonika RUTX12 for the past 2 years, both initially at home with the supplied ‘rubber duck’ antennas and then in the moho with a Poynting MIMO-3-17. Being a commercial grade router is one of the reasons I selected it, the others were the dual SIM and dual modem offering a degree of redundancy and failover and being able to take a 9v to 50vDC power source. The X12/MIMO-3-17 combination is also a good match with regard to connections and features and has proven to be very reliable and often remained connected when phones haven’t - in the mountains of Greece and Crete for example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Even a new ZTE MU5001 only comes with a USB A to USB C cable for charging via a computer / USB charging point so wouldn't worry about that element.

In relation to the lack of the stick antennas if you are considering an external aerial, eg the Poynting MiMo mentioned above this uses the same aerial socket connections on the unit so the "sticks" are surplus to requirements.

However, be aware the aerial connections, whether using the "sticks" or an external aerial are only applicable to 5g with 3g / 4g being captured by the internal aerials.
Does the ZTE have TS9 or SMA antenna ports? If the former, do you need a lead/adapter to convert the antenna cable from SMA to TS9? I don’t recall if our antenna came with such.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back