Why oh why did we go with them again! Grrrrrrr ..... (2 Viewers)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The 3 home broadband

Find out before you go how much data your allowed abroad ours is only 4g at home but 5g when away but only 12gb data abroad

Last edited:

Julspur

Free Member
Aug 5, 2021
Felixstowe, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2018
We
Who am I talking about? Three!!!! :mad: Someone on another thread has asked about issues he's having with his Smarty sim, which uses Three, so I thought I'd post this thread.

Over the last few weeks we've had horrendous problems with the Three mobile phone network (hubby is on Three and I'm on ID (who use Three), this has been getting worse and has now culminated in not being able to get a usable signal for the vast majority of the time and even if we can it is very, very slow and drops out. As I have a dual sim phone I used my PAYG RWG sim (on O2) to get on the internet, albeit quite carefully and only for stuff I really needed to do as once I'd used my free 250mb allowance I started to eat into my £ credit at a fair old rate so I was far from happy so about 2 weeks ago I had an on-line chat with ID and after I complained about it being slow and not really usable - having to wait for 2 minutes for a web page to load, if it did at all, was far from ideal - they credited my account with £20 to make up for the bad service which I was told should improve. Unfortunately it went seriously down the pan within 2 days and became virtually unusable - I couldn't get on the forum a lot of the time! :eek:

As a consequence I’d well and truly had enough, never mind how peed off hubby was, so after a lot of messing about managed to use my ID sim to have another chat with ID (it dropped out at least 4 times whilst I was doing so) and told them how unhappy I was and was asked to provide info to the chat agent and do some stuff to see if it improved the signal, one of which was to remove the sim, give it a wipe, and put it back in the phone … the same phone I was using to chat on! :rolleyes: Despite telling her I couldn't I was told I 'had' to cooperate so she could try to resolve it totally missing the point that I could NOT retrieve the sim whilst I was using the flipping phone! It took a while but she finally realised she was on to a hiding to nothing by insisting especially since I'd told her that I'd swapped it from my old phone to new one a few days earlier and made sure it was 'clean' and that both me and hubby with his Three sim were having the same issues so I knew it was not the sim anyway. Eventually I asked what my options were about getting out the contract so I could go elsewhere which was duly logged and I was told that I would get a call from the complaints team within 48 hours … yeah … of course I will! She wasn't the best chat person I've dealt with and cut me off very quickly once she'd logged the complaint so I wasn't best pleased either.

Well, believe it or not I did get a call within 2 days (Thursday) by a UK based chap who listened to all the problems, what we'd tried to improve it, and how pretty much unusable it was now - I even relayed the issues we'd had a few years ago with Three who cut us off for 3 days (no calls, texts, or date … nowt!) but that we'd decided to give them (Three) another go as we thought they'd have improved by now. He was apologetic and understood totally how unsatisfactory it was but in order to pass the info to Three they had to follow a set procedure which meant the first thing to try was a replacement sim, even though he realised that this is unlikely to sort the issue out due to hubby also having the same problem. In addition he told me that there is some planned maintenance/repair work being undertaken on masts near us which could be what's causing the problems, work to improve the service and install 5G! I told him I was quite happy to stay with ID if they could give me a usable service but that I knew it wasn't them who were causing the problems and appreciated it was down to Three not providing the service so was out of ID's hands. Unfortunately there was nothing that could be done until the sim had been replaced and tried as that is what starts the ball rolling … he therefore requested a new sim be sent to me and it arrived this afternoon so I'm now waiting for it to be 'activated' by ID/Three then I can do some testing, the results of which are needed so the complaint can be triggered with Three.

Due to the worsening issues over the last week we've got a couple of 40gb 30 day 'no contract' Talkmobile sims (half price for 3 months @ £4.95) that use Vodafone's network in order to get online, these came yesterday afternoon and we've been trying to catch up on all the internet etc stuff we hadn't been able to do beforehand so have been a bit busy! What's interesting is that I've since discovered using Talkmobile's site that the 2 masts closest to us are having maintenance done and wonder if these are the same ones that Three uses … if so it could explain the issue with Three. What is daft though is the sheer madness to do work on them at the same time as it's surely obvious it could cause a limited service from them and if they are not usable at times we will then be having to 'link' to masts further away which will already be used by others and thus reduce the usable signal for everyone. The work on one of these masts is due to be done by the end of the month by Vodafone and the other a week later but at least we are able to use our Talkmobile sims which is more than I can say for ID/Three.

If ID/Three can't sort it, or give me a guarantee that the problems will be resolved soon, then I'll be looking to cancel my contract without any repercussions and stick with Talkmobile (EU roaming is permitted) for the time being whilst I decide whether to stick with them or look elsewhere. (The daft thing is that we were with Vodafone before and only changed to Three/ID because of their new roaming policy (ie £2 a day), but this isn't the case with Talkmobile who still allow roaming!)
had problems in FRANCE and Spain with our Superdrug sim we bought finding out you only get 12gb per month when in EU. Found a really good phone shop in Spain who recommended the LOBSTER Spanish SIM card, so three levels we took the largest one 74gb per month, €12 per month for first three months, works on the Movistar network I think. Goes up to €24 per month after that. The best but is that if you look it up everything is in English. It is advertised as a Spanish sim all in English. Has worked perfectly while we have been over here for the past four weeks.Will ship to UK and all your data can be used either in EU or the UK. We bought to use for three months in EU and will then pause until we come back next year. Helpline if you have to call it has all English staff and very helpful. I think this is a good solution for both EU and UK.

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
This is all very interesting but the more I read the more confused I get!

I use Three at the moment in the MH and so far no problems, however - I am looking for the best deal for a Data only SIM to put in my Avtex985 which will actually take two Data SIM cards (recently installed) that I can use on the occasions we use the MH both in the UK and in Europe (We go to Europe often).
I like to access Amazon Prime on my Avtex TV from time to time when normal satellite TV (Freesat) is rubbish (sadly increasingly so). For this I have a Firestick plugged into the TV.
At the moment I am using a Three “Internet With Legs“ and it is working well with the Firestick/Avtex985 but that will eventually run out of data.
So……… any suggestions for a PAYG or Contract Data only SIM would be appreciated.

As an aside, I use O2 on my iPhone and haven’t yet asked them what deal they can offer me. I don’t like the idea of £2 a day when roaming which many providers now require.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
A bit off thread , but has anyone else had these huge 5G masts just appearing near them?

I was having a walk locally the other night and saw this huge monstrosity that had suddenly been erected outside a house.

It must knock thousands off house values.

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
airwave I wanted GiffGaff for a trip to Europe, but they’ve cut roaming. I appreciate that not everyone here is talking about EU roaming. At the moment I have the Lebara 12GB for 1p deal (for 6 months) but I didn’t set up the hotspot before I left the UK so I’m stuck with only being able to use the phone and cannot tether the iPad to it. ☹️ Patience is a virtue, they say!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The cheaper networks are cheap for one reason!
It really is that simple.
Actually that's to true of all of them. Take Giffgaff (o2) or Voxi (Vodafone) they are cheaper because they do not have call centres and are just web based. However, you get exactly the same in terms of connection speed and availability. But cheaper and more flexible.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
hi ,,i have 3 home mobile broadband 5g,,and i have to say its absolutely brilliant i get on average 300 meg no land line and no other costs it was £11 for the first 6 months then going up to £22 ,the good thing is when i go away in the van i just unplug it and take it with us works in the uk ,,not tried it abroad ,,
We had the same for many years but it was silly to have phones with data included and a separate mifi too so we just have phones now and tether to them.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is all very interesting but the more I read the more confused I get!

I use Three at the moment in the MH and so far no problems, however - I am looking for the best deal for a Data only SIM to put in my Avtex985 which will actually take two Data SIM cards (recently installed) that I can use on the occasions we use the MH both in the UK and in Europe (We go to Europe often).
I like to access Amazon Prime on my Avtex TV from time to time when normal satellite TV (Freesat) is rubbish (sadly increasingly so). For this I have a Firestick plugged into the TV.
At the moment I am using a Three “Internet With Legs“ and it is working well with the Firestick/Avtex985 but that will eventually run out of data.
So……… any suggestions for a PAYG or Contract Data only SIM would be appreciated.

As an aside, I use O2 on my iPhone and haven’t yet asked them what deal they can offer me. I don’t like the idea of £2 a day when roaming which many providers now require.
You don't necessarily need a data sim as many phone sims are now allowed to be used in MIFIs etc and usually offer a lot more for less cost, once you've set them up in a phone you just put them in your MIFI etc.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I bought a dedicated phone on Amazon mostly to use with my e-bike and signed up with payg 1p mobile.

Never had a problem with signal except where everybody else does, 1p per minute for calls, 1p per text and 1p per MB (however for data it is better to buy boosts and these vary in price up to £15 for 50GB and last for a month). Same costs apply to roaming in 46 European countries.

There is a ‘top up’ requirement (minimum £10 every 120 days) but even though I hardly use it, I have added to it a couple of times long before the top up is required. No credit expiry providing you meet the afore mentioned ‘top up’ requirements, excluding ‘data boosts’.

I have used it as an internet hub on various sites for the past two years and have rarely been disappointed.

I believe that it uses the ee network, which seems to be one of the most popular on the forums.
I was with 1p for a while but their data offerings for the cost isn't the best, 50gb for £15 pcm works out more than £9.95 pcm for 40gb which is sufficient for my needs (and of course half price for 3 months).

Have a look at 1p mobile?
See above.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
I use EE but the wifi in the house was absolutely naff ,they sent me a booster and its brilliant now

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We’re currently in France and both with 3, I have an old contact so still get 12hb to use abroad. Lorraine has to pay for hers and I think it’s still limited to 12gb, before we came away we bought a Poppit sim for £25 100gb with full allowance in eu. We’ve put it in Lorraine’s phone and it’s worked great with 5G in most places, we’ve watched Netflix most night and 2 Scotland games live which has used up 33gb in our first week so 67 for week2. It’s a 30 day contract which can be cancelled at anytime or just don’t tick the box to save your payment details.
We will do the same next time we head over.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I was with three for many years and mostly happy with reception.
I moved to 02 this June because of the £2 a day Three roaming charges
Three and O2 must use the same mast at my house because the phone signal is no better.
I'm in Europe at the moment using O2 with no problems or roaming charges
I pay £8 for 20gb a month which is plenty for me.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That may be part of the issue to, we've had some new housing estates built over the last few years and even more are being done now, although these are not close to us if we are now having to share a mast with them due to the closer ones being out of action obviously we'll suffer even more.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just an update regarding my replacement ID sim, still not received the text to tell me it's been activated and still 'no service', hubby's Three sim is useless too ... not happy bunnies at all, thank goodness we got the Talkmobile sims!

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
We had a very similar situation with 3, we had been with them for years, when our phones and mifi just wouldn't work at home. It was a mast upgrade issue which lasted 9 months :mad:
We got a few refunds but eventually left.
I've never had a mobile signal at home with 3 , not ten years ago and not now , their coverage map must show when it's a useless one bar to be that widespread across the UK

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’m with Three, generally pleased with it but earlier this year in France had our data sim turned off with no warning, I contacted them 3 times and they turned sim back on, then I swapped router and that sorted it.
It seemed like something the Teltonika 950 was doing Three didn’t like Huawei B535 was and is fine.
They did refund one months payment.

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
Who am I talking about? Three!!!! :mad: Someone on another thread has asked about issues he's having with his Smarty sim, which uses Three, so I thought I'd post this thread.

Over the last few weeks we've had horrendous problems with the Three mobile phone network (hubby is on Three and I'm on ID (who use Three), this has been getting worse and has now culminated in not being able to get a usable signal for the vast majority of the time and even if we can it is very, very slow and drops out. As I have a dual sim phone I used my PAYG RWG sim (on O2) to get on the internet, albeit quite carefully and only for stuff I really needed to do as once I'd used my free 250mb allowance I started to eat into my £ credit at a fair old rate so I was far from happy so about 2 weeks ago I had an on-line chat with ID and after I complained about it being slow and not really usable - having to wait for 2 minutes for a web page to load, if it did at all, was far from ideal - they credited my account with £20 to make up for the bad service which I was told should improve. Unfortunately it went seriously down the pan within 2 days and became virtually unusable - I couldn't get on the forum a lot of the time! :eek:

As a consequence I’d well and truly had enough, never mind how peed off hubby was, so after a lot of messing about managed to use my ID sim to have another chat with ID (it dropped out at least 4 times whilst I was doing so) and told them how unhappy I was and was asked to provide info to the chat agent and do some stuff to see if it improved the signal, one of which was to remove the sim, give it a wipe, and put it back in the phone … the same phone I was using to chat on! :rolleyes: Despite telling her I couldn't I was told I 'had' to cooperate so she could try to resolve it totally missing the point that I could NOT retrieve the sim whilst I was using the flipping phone! It took a while but she finally realised she was on to a hiding to nothing by insisting especially since I'd told her that I'd swapped it from my old phone to new one a few days earlier and made sure it was 'clean' and that both me and hubby with his Three sim were having the same issues so I knew it was not the sim anyway. Eventually I asked what my options were about getting out the contract so I could go elsewhere which was duly logged and I was told that I would get a call from the complaints team within 48 hours … yeah … of course I will! She wasn't the best chat person I've dealt with and cut me off very quickly once she'd logged the complaint so I wasn't best pleased either.

Well, believe it or not I did get a call within 2 days (Thursday) by a UK based chap who listened to all the problems, what we'd tried to improve it, and how pretty much unusable it was now - I even relayed the issues we'd had a few years ago with Three who cut us off for 3 days (no calls, texts, or date … nowt!) but that we'd decided to give them (Three) another go as we thought they'd have improved by now. He was apologetic and understood totally how unsatisfactory it was but in order to pass the info to Three they had to follow a set procedure which meant the first thing to try was a replacement sim, even though he realised that this is unlikely to sort the issue out due to hubby also having the same problem. In addition he told me that there is some planned maintenance/repair work being undertaken on masts near us which could be what's causing the problems, work to improve the service and install 5G! I told him I was quite happy to stay with ID if they could give me a usable service but that I knew it wasn't them who were causing the problems and appreciated it was down to Three not providing the service so was out of ID's hands. Unfortunately there was nothing that could be done until the sim had been replaced and tried as that is what starts the ball rolling … he therefore requested a new sim be sent to me and it arrived this afternoon so I'm now waiting for it to be 'activated' by ID/Three then I can do some testing, the results of which are needed so the complaint can be triggered with Three.

Due to the worsening issues over the last week we've got a couple of 40gb 30 day 'no contract' Talkmobile sims (half price for 3 months @ £4.95) that use Vodafone's network in order to get online, these came yesterday afternoon and we've been trying to catch up on all the internet etc stuff we hadn't been able to do beforehand so have been a bit busy! What's interesting is that I've since discovered using Talkmobile's site that the 2 masts closest to us are having maintenance done and wonder if these are the same ones that Three uses … if so it could explain the issue with Three. What is daft though is the sheer madness to do work on them at the same time as it's surely obvious it could cause a limited service from them and if they are not usable at times we will then be having to 'link' to masts further away which will already be used by others and thus reduce the usable signal for everyone. The work on one of these masts is due to be done by the end of the month by Vodafone and the other a week later but at least we are able to use our Talkmobile sims which is more than I can say for ID/Three.

If ID/Three can't sort it, or give me a guarantee that the problems will be resolved soon, then I'll be looking to cancel my contract without any repercussions and stick with Talkmobile (EU roaming is permitted) for the time being whilst I decide whether to stick with them or look elsewhere. (The daft thing is that we were with Vodafone before and only changed to Three/ID because of their new roaming policy (ie £2 a day), but this isn't the case with Talkmobile who still allow roaming!)
We had similar issues with three, I had a phone SIM and we also had a data SIM in a router for home use. I changed my phone SIM to sky for the rollover of data who use 02 and my signal immediately improved and no dropping out. So after 3 months monitoring I changed our home data SIM to02 and had immediate improvement. We recently had 2 days of problems the difference is that 02 warned me that maintenance could affect the signal a week before it happened and let me know when it was finished. Customer service ! A bonus is that we have been away in Germany and France for 3 weeks and my 02 SIM has worked the whole time.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I'm surprised to read about problems with 3/Smarty, I've been with Smarty for years, 20gb £6 at the mo, not noticed any roaming charge, I'd better check coz I'm presently in France. No problems with service either. Is it regional, can't be coz when we were on Panjas, where we used to struggle to get any with any supplier, we got a good 2/3 bars. Err indoors, well, in the van at the moment, wants to swap from Voda to Smarty. Intended to do that when we get back. Will have to think again. Odd though.

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Wow this is a lot of reading but to add my thoughts .
We have been out of the UK for 4 months now France, Italy , Slovenia , Croatia and Bosnia and have been using three SMARTY sims with 12gb data on each SIM card . Cost to us with a deal I had was £4 per month per sim and plus side is that Smarty allow 12gb of EU usage .The only country that we couldn’t use the sims was obviously Bosnia .

Next time I might take more Smarty Sims with me , very happy with the coverage .

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Three Smarty SIMS? That's lot of different numbers to remember and how do your contacts know which one to use?
I use three Iphones ( or as my wife calls them my burner phones) and I keep my main one well in credit data wise. . Smarty allow you to check data usage on all three phones from the app.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Took advice of the below thread and signed up with Spanish company Tiekom - 300gb monthly for €39.90
Absolutely excellent service with Data Sim sent to U.K. home address and activated when I arrived in France With sim inserted into TP Link mifi M7350. Now into fifth week of faultless operation of signal and speed throughout France and Spain having used 115gb.
The thread is very much worth a read as an option for a data only sim, with means to ’park’ any fees when not needed. Other suppliers are available etc 🙂

Also with 300GB Tiekom. Can't fault them yet!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
not noticed any roaming charge, I'd better check coz I'm presently in France.
Smarty unlike Three don’t charge the daily £2 roaming fee that’s why I’m going to change from Three to Smarty, already done my phone next will be the router sim.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I have been with EE for donkeys years, a few years with Orange before that. The deal for the last three years is 100gb for £20 pm, no reduction of data when we travel abroad. It’s proved to be sufficient for work stuff, listening to the radio through the internet, internet browsing and occasional tv from Netflix.
My wife pays around £10 pm to 3 for 8gb which I think is halved when we are away, as we are now in France. She is out of data right now, won’t buy any more data, and seems happy to use my phone until month end when her package resets.
Once in a blue moon my phone has insufficient signal, and the 3 phone saves the day though.

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
A bit off thread , but has anyone else had these huge 5G masts just appearing near them?

I was having a walk locally the other night and saw this huge monstrosity that had suddenly been erected outside a house.

It must knock thousands off house values.
It is in preparation for the ESN (emergency services network) taking over from the Airwave service which lost the contract to EE. This is to provide 5G to all the emergency services in the UK. Even when it’s implemented there will still be dead zones where user/control cannot communicate with each other as is the case now. They use POC (Push to talk Over Cellular) which uses the data side of the cellular phone signal 2/3/4/5G.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Personally I don't understand why people tie themselves into contracts when there are so many good payg deals out there. We use 1p mobile for general use, which works out at about £30 a year. (That's their minimum charge) 1p does what it says 1p per minute calls, 1p per text, 1p per mb. Then when we need data we get what suits for that situation - general use at home (which is small) or traveling UK or Europe. Smarty works nicely in UK and abroad we tend to go with local data sims.

Just tying yourself into a contract to 1, 2 or 3 years seems bonkers to me.

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
I’ve been with Vodafone for many many years and would never dream of changing networks, why do people want to do this alL the time just to save 37p a month .just saying like.😇
I was with Vodafone for 29years (yes I had an original brick phone) then the fun started. They cut me off for non payment despite having a ddb, then claimed I'd sent a million+ texts and used 200,000 minutes in a week!!! Sorted that out and 30minutes later they cut me off again for non-payment. Made a payment by credit card, acknowledged as received, 20 minutes later cut-off. Sim card removed and a Three one picked up from local shop.
Took 6 months of aggro to get it sorted with Vodafone (they wanted the money for the remaining 6 months on the contract). I got £30 compensation and a "why did you leave us" email.
Now on a Tesco staff deal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back