Who actually likes the driver aids on newer vehicles? (6 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Traded our 6 year old BMW in and picked up new Seat Ateca Auto yesterday & drove it home, very impressed thus far, but its full of gadgets, plus a big "infotainment" screen.
I was given an owners manual, plus an A4 instruction page on how to set up The Seat App on our I phones.
Apparently you need to set up The Seat App & register it to the car, needing to input The Vin Number and Model to get half the gadgets in the car to operate, like door mirror folding plus loads of other things I do not know about yet like self park maybe.
I drove it to the supermarket this morning, and its already telling me on the screen that it needs to download a software update, but it cant as we haven't registered the phone, or our home E-mail Address with it yet. Then another instruction appeared "Check Safe Lock Setup" "Use Drivers Manual" well I am a bloke, I don't read manuals unless forced to, then the wife reads them out slowly, whilst I sit and have a fiddle with the controls.:cool:
It has 3 different speedo screens, I found them all from pushing buttons on the steering wheel trying to adjust the DAB radio to select & scroll radio stations.
It reads road signs and beeps if I go 2 miles over the speed limit, it has adaptive cruise control with lane assist, but I have not driven on a motorway yet, so not used.
I have decided that I will buy a box of fancy cakes, take it back to the dealership, hand over our I phones and let them try & set the damn thing up, it even alerts the emergency services if involved in an accident, of GPS location, my name, probably next of kin etc!
I also reckon it would dob me in for speeding also, as everything like time recorded at last stop, start time & mileage since start, average speed & MPG is all recorded on the screen for all to see.
I have yet to discover loads of stuff like blind spot monitoring, anti collision Radar, but it sure is a giant learning curve, tech has certainly moved on in the last 5 years I guess.
Even more annoying that I still cant get a decent DAB signal in The Vans Double Din Apple Play all singing/dancing heap of Pioneer Crap Radio, where as this car has found what seems like 60/70 radio stations, inc Radio Punjab & Islam!:rolleyes:
LES

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
I don't have any aids on my old van but recently hired a brand new transit with the full package. After two days of driving around I can say I am not a fan of these so called advances. I really disliked the stop start, I could see that shortening the life of the starter, battery and probably the whole engine. Lane assist is a joke, if you cant steer between the two lines on the road you shouldn't be driving. I agree that phones are distracting when driving so why is the massive screen in the middle of the dashboard ok? Sat nav, phone, radio etc etc, all displayed at the same time. Finally the self activating wipers, is it too much effort to reach out with a finger to the stalk and switch them on and off manually?? GRRRR
I dislike lane assist and and also stop start, so does my husband. I always turn off the start stop. I do like the build in sat nav although we always use a map as well. While one of is is driving the other navigates.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 years ago I had to scrap my 20 year old Renault Scenic and I invested in a new MG electric. No regrets at all about that. But I did find a whole battery of tech that I didn't even know existed. I have changed some of my driving habits, but I wouldn't go without any of the new gizmos. I don't use cruise control because it uses so much more fuel, but I love a flashing light in my wing mirror to warn me of something in my blind spot. And 360° cameras for parking...YES!!! Wish I had it on my Rio 320. I am in the process of gizmo-ing my Rio!!

I did read a story a while ago about someone who turned off lane assist and automatic braking but then had an accident. His insurers refused to pay up because they said he had removed important safety features from the vehicle.

The original Renault Zoe had an NCAP rating of 5. But last year the same vehicle scored bottom of the scale because it had not had electronic safety gizmos added over the intervening years. Whether you like them or not, many of the newer "driving aids" count to the NCAP rating of the vehicle. So we have to get used to them!!!
Which MG have you got has it been good?

Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since a while before Covid
Which MG have you got has it been good?
I have the long range ZS. I am loving it. It is a pleasure to drive. It is comfortable. It has gizmos!!! Obviously, you have to change some habits about driving mentality, particularly in terms of range but a couple of weeks ago I went to Bute which is 360 miles for me. I regularly go down to Dartmoor which is 220 miles. I don't struggle with range anxiety! And I do, when my horns are poking out, love leaving ICE Jags, Porsches and Aston's (I live near JLR) standing at the traffic lights while I zoom off silently into the distance. Obviously it has not got the luxury of some expensive electric cars. But my neighbour had an electric Jag for a while. Lovely lovely car, but because of its weight, only did half as many miles as my MG on the same size battery!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have the long range ZS. I am loving it. It is a pleasure to drive. It is comfortable. It has gizmos!!! Obviously, you have to change some habits about driving mentality, particularly in terms of range but a couple of weeks ago I went to Bute which is 360 miles for me. I regularly go down to Dartmoor which is 220 miles. I don't struggle with range anxiety! And I do, when my horns are poking out, love leaving ICE Jags, Porsches and Aston's (I live near JLR) standing at the traffic lights while I zoom off silently into the distance. Obviously it has not got the luxury of some expensive electric cars. But my neighbour had an electric Jag for a while. Lovely lovely car, but because of its weight, only did half as many miles as my MG on the same size battery!!
Our son has just got a secondhand Hyundai Kona EV. It's pretty nippy and should save him £1200 a year in diesel once he gets on the EV tariff. So far he's very happy with it.

Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since a while before Covid
Our son has just got a secondhand Hyundai Kona EV. It's pretty nippy and should save him £1200 a year in diesel once he gets on the EV tariff. So far he's very happy with it.
I have dual tariff electricity and a 4 KW solar array, so running the car on electricity from home is very economical indeed

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004
Traded our 6 year old BMW in and picked up new Seat Ateca Auto yesterday & drove it home, very impressed thus far, but its full of gadgets, plus a big "infotainment" screen.
I was given an owners manual, plus an A4 instruction page on how to set up The Seat App on our I phones.
Apparently you need to set up The Seat App & register it to the car, needing to input The Vin Number and Model to get half the gadgets in the car to operate, like door mirror folding plus loads of other things I do not know about yet like self park maybe.
I drove it to the supermarket this morning, and its already telling me on the screen that it needs to download a software update, but it cant as we haven't registered the phone, or our home E-mail Address with it yet. Then another instruction appeared "Check Safe Lock Setup" "Use Drivers Manual" well I am a bloke, I don't read manuals unless forced to, then the wife reads them out slowly, whilst I sit and have a fiddle with the controls.:cool:
It has 3 different speedo screens, I found them all from pushing buttons on the steering wheel trying to adjust the DAB radio to select & scroll radio stations.
It reads road signs and beeps if I go 2 miles over the speed limit, it has adaptive cruise control with lane assist, but I have not driven on a motorway yet, so not used.
I have decided that I will buy a box of fancy cakes, take it back to the dealership, hand over our I phones and let them try & set the damn thing up, it even alerts the emergency services if involved in an accident, of GPS location, my name, probably next of kin etc!
I also reckon it would dob me in for speeding also, as everything like time recorded at last stop, start time & mileage since start, average speed & MPG is all recorded on the screen for all to see.
I have yet to discover loads of stuff like blind spot monitoring, anti collision Radar, but it sure is a giant learning curve, tech has certainly moved on in the last 5 years I guess.
Even more annoying that I still cant get a decent DAB signal in The Vans Double Din Apple Play all singing/dancing heap of Pioneer Crap Radio, where as this car has found what seems like 60/70 radio stations, inc Radio Punjab & Islam!:rolleyes:
LES
The phone app link is handy , I have it on my Sportage and when as usual I have left the car and “did I lock it” hits me , the app links remotely to confirm ok plus it shows you car location when you lose it 🤯

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I forgot to turn my lane assist off this morning. Coming up the overtaking lane on the bypass, I physically wasn’t able to return to the nearside lane, after overtaking a slow moving lorry, without indicating 🤷‍♀️

This is an unnecessary distraction, in my opinion.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I forgot to turn my lane assist off this morning. Coming up the overtaking lane on the bypass, I physically wasn’t able to return to the nearside lane, after overtaking a slow moving lorry, without indicating 🤷‍♀️

This is an unnecessary distraction, in my opinion.
There must be something in settings as that is far too intrusive IMO if not take it back to the dealer it’s not right.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back