Who actually likes the driver aids on newer vehicles? (14 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I think that the ‘lane assist’ is downright dangerous - imagine overtaking a cyclist and having to battle with the steering wheel so as not to hit him! It gets turned off every trip as does the stop-start.

T’other day, I decided to put my foot down on a dual carriageway to test the acceleration of my Skoda and a warning flashed up on the display. I had to take my eyes off the road to be informed that, as my windows were open, I was not being dynamically efficient 🤷‍♀️
If you signal to overtake, as you should, lane assist will not actuate.

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Sometimes new and improved is worse than the ''old '' tech it replaces , saw that often in the offshore industry the managment would be seduced to buy the new fashionable latest technology tool or machine and it would not operate as well as the item it replaced ,,

my 2022 kawasaki Z900 motorcycle is a case in point its a wonderful bike except for the headlights , They are the latest technology LED lights ,, so you would expect them to be better than my 1999 Ducati headlights ...hmmmm

In fact they are useless , the dip is weak and the main is worse than weak and unfocused ,, even with adjustment they dont do anything , wheras my old Ducati headlamp is excellent on main and dip ,,, i cant understand how kawasaki got it past the legal people , I have solved the problem by fitting 2 LED Perfection spot lamps nex to headlight , now I can see where I am going at night

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
There is currently good and bad in this modern stuff and I'm sure that it'll get sorted as the technology matures.
I like my 360 degree camera that makes it a doddle to park perfectly or to manoeuvre tight spaces. It also tells me if someone is in my blind spot by flashing a warning on my mirrors. If I have signalled when someone is in my blind spot it also give a loud beep.

I like stop start, full stop.

Lane assist can be a pain. It would be better if it only actuated on main dual carriageways.

Smart brake support goes unnoticed but it could save my or someone elses life.

Radar cruise control allows you to set the minimum distaance between you and the car in front. (Wish some others had this, pesky tailgaters)

Collision prevention speaks for itself. It beeps first and will brake if ignored. Only annoyance is it beeps when I pull out of a junction/roundabout as someelse is just passing. The timing of this is adjustable but I'd rather leave it saving my life than back it off to the point where it just lets me brake my legs.

There's lots of other stuff but my number one hate is the trend towards putting everything on touchscreens. This is not the least bit ergonomic and I hope this trend will be reversed when people get over the fad. Unfortunately the manufacturers push this because it saves on wiring to switches and is therefore cheaper.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging

Sorry Janine Didn't mean to sound holier than thou. This actually happened to me earlier this week and because I didn't signal I had to fight with the wheel to miss the cyclist.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Who am I signalling to?

The cyclist can’t see me and I wouldn’t be overtaking if there was something coming towards me 🤷‍♀️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I do sometimes wonder if designers do stuff just because they can (anyone still got a 3D telly ?)
The emissions stuff on diesels is a proper pain in the arris for a car owner, but I understand why they're messing on with it, but just wish it didn't choke the engine up.
Stop start is probably not a bad idea in towns/cities for congestion/pollution, but have you seen how much more expensive a replacement S/S battery is ?
My car has just flagged up "Head lamp service required" looking into it, it appears to be related to the front and back sensors that are connected to the suspension to self level the headlights dependant on what weight is in the car (my last car just had a little slider next to the headlights switch 🤷‍♂️ ) I got underneath for a look, two little boxes with a pivoting arm (for letting in water I presume ?) and an electrical connection (facing forwards) fitted probably in the best position to accept spray from the wheels ? Oh well, it's all progress I suppose ?
Been looking at some white goods lately, a basic microwave with just a timer is a rarity, a tumble dryer that isn't festooned with sensors is non existent and I see some ovens now have a camera inside them and an AI interface that can interpolate the amount of "doneness" of your Sunday joint !
"Mum, is tea ready ?" "It'll be another five minutes, the grill is just uploading your burger to Tik Tok ! " :rolleyes:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I do sometimes wonder if designers do stuff just because they can (anyone still got a 3D telly ?)
The emissions stuff on diesels is a proper pain in the arris for a car owner, but I understand why they're messing on with it, but just wish it didn't choke the engine up.
Stop start is probably not a bad idea in towns/cities for congestion/pollution, but have you seen how much more expensive a replacement S/S battery is ?
My car has just flagged up "Head lamp service required" looking into it, it appears to be related to the front and back sensors that are connected to the suspension to self level the headlights dependant on what weight is in the car (my last car just had a little slider next to the headlights switch 🤷‍♂️ ) I got underneath for a look, two little boxes with a pivoting arm (for letting in water I presume ?) and an electrical connection (facing forwards) fitted probably in the best position to accept spray from the wheels ? Oh well, it's all progress I suppose ?
Been looking at some white goods lately, a basic microwave with just a timer is a rarity, a tumble dryer that isn't festooned with sensors is non existent and I see some ovens now have a camera inside them and an AI interface that can interpolate the amount of "doneness" of your Sunday joint !
"Mum, is tea ready ?" "It'll be another five minutes, the grill is just uploading your burger to Tik Tok ! " :rolleyes:
The cynics would say that it so they can charge us more 🤔🤣

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I have my oldish Renault, oldish Ducato and get to ride in Joanne's all singing and dancing Mercedes.

I use Cruise Control in the Renault and would if it was fitted to the Ducato which has no extras, not even self cancelling indicators. The Ducato does have the possibility of connecting my phone but my phone is on silent, I don't want to speak with people when I'm driving! The Renault has nothing.

Joanne once asked me I managed to park without a million sensors and cameras? I answered that, "I look out the windows!"

I can see 'Lane Assist' alerts being useful when distracted by the 14" display of stuff I don't need.

I'm guessing that the modern generation of driver see them as must have accessories, garages probably love the profit on repair costs.

I don't know what it involved, how difficult and definitely illegal use but mate's whizz kid son reengineered his 14" display to play DVDs and CDs.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Pleased to say the cars stop start stopped working when it was 18 months old and the battery gone off its peak, car & battery now 12 years old and it's never worked since.

Ducato stop start is flipping dangoues with the 9 speed auto, it doesn't have hill hold like the Comformatic had. So if on a steep hill you lift your foot off the brake to start the engine and you start rolling backwards.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
With the exception of stop / start I love all the technology and the driver aids and make full use of them. Roll on fully autonomous vehicles, just so long as I can override the system when I want.
Thought we already had autonomous vehicles. ...Taxis.trains and buses.. BUSBY.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Ditto my Audi Allroad, 10 years old from new, 120k miles, original battery, stop start dead reliable, believe Audi and Skoda are one and the same, regardless, have never heard of any manufacturer with unreliable stop start.
Best thing for me is the auto hold handbrake, brilliant idea and works very well indeed.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I have my oldish Renault, oldish Ducato and get to ride in Joanne's all singing and dancing Mercedes.

I use Cruise Control in the Renault and would if it was fitted to the Ducato which has no extras, not even self cancelling indicators. The Ducato does have the possibility of connecting my phone but my phone is on silent, I don't want to speak with people when I'm driving! The Renault has nothing.

Joanne once asked me I managed to park without a million sensors and cameras? I answered that, "I look out the windows!"

I can see 'Lane Assist' alerts being useful when distracted by the 14" display of stuff I don't need.

I'm guessing that the modern generation of driver see them as must have accessories, garages probably love the profit on repair costs.

I don't know what it involved, how difficult and definitely illegal use but mate's whizz kid son reengineered his 14" display to play DVDs and CDs.
Most are safety devices.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Pleased to say the cars stop start stopped working when it was 18 months old and the battery gone off its peak, car & battery now 12 years old and it's never worked since.

Ducato stop start is flipping dangoues with the 9 speed auto, it doesn't have hill hold like the Comformatic had. So if on a steep hill you lift your foot off the brake to start the engine and you start rolling backwards.
Always thought you had to use the handbrake for a hill start. Mind That's so difficultr on an A Class that I skip this.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
That self park is a joke anorl. Used it once on my Golf GTi in Dubai to show someone, never used it again.

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Automatic gearbox - would not have a manual vehicle now.
Speed limiter warning - do not tend to use it on motorways but in 20 or 30mph areas it is invaluable
Reversing camera, and sensors to tell me if I am too near anything when parking
GPS/Sat Nav
Automatic wipers, lights,

The indulgence of heaters that work, windscreens which defrost in seconds not minutes, and a heated drivers' seat in winter!

I am sure there is much, much more but those are just (to me) the obvious ones

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Having read through this thread I used to have all of the gizmos mentioned on the Nissan xtrails that I had as motability vehicles for my wife, when she passed away I bought a 13 year old dodge 4x4, it has rear parking sensors that don’t work, I never bothered to fix them as I can park it so much easier than the xtrail that had the 360 cameras, front and rear sensors and park assist. When driving I like to be in control of the car, not the car telling me what to do.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012

That’s strange Lenny HB, mine has hill hold for definite and it works very well

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Started off being a bit frustrated by the safety features on my new Hyundai Tucson hybrid, but have got used to them. Big fan of the adaptive cruise control, slightly embarrassingly the rear pedestrian sensor has done it's job for me once when backing out of the blind alley at the back of our business, and the lane assist encourages me to indicate when changing lanes so I'm probably a slightly better driver than before.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Only problem I find is like when I was reversing Mrs CCs Golf that never had reversing bleepers I backed it into a wall as was waiting for the Bleeeep😁😁😁 got her a new Golf few years back and it’s got all the bells and whistles on and she loves it😁😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back