Who actually likes the driver aids on newer vehicles? (80 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I don't have any aids on my old van but recently hired a brand new transit with the full package. After two days of driving around I can say I am not a fan of these so called advances. I really disliked the stop start, I could see that shortening the life of the starter, battery and probably the whole engine. Lane assist is a joke, if you cant steer between the two lines on the road you shouldn't be driving. I agree that phones are distracting when driving so why is the massive screen in the middle of the dashboard ok? Sat nav, phone, radio etc etc, all displayed at the same time. Finally the self activating wipers, is it too much effort to reach out with a finger to the stalk and switch them on and off manually?? GRRRR

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Van came with the bells and whistles, just switch them off when using, something else to go wrong! Don't want lane assist, came with it, stop start, came with it, collision avoidance, came with it, cruise control, okay for motorway blanket 50s, came with it, still cant fathom out all the functions of the radio/ice system as with most things theses days no handbook with it! whatever happened to push button car radios! I see them as driver distraction aids!

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I don't have any aids on my old van but recently hired a brand new transit with the full package. After two days of driving around I can say I am not a fan of these so called advances. I really disliked the stop start, I could see that shortening the life of the starter, battery and probably the whole engine. Lane assist is a joke, if you cant steer between the two lines on the road you shouldn't be driving. I agree that phones are distracting when driving so why is the massive screen in the middle of the dashboard ok? Sat nav, phone, radio etc etc, all displayed at the same time. Finally the self activating wipers, is it too much effort to reach out with a finger to the stalk and switch them on and off manually?? GRRRR
Can’t see how lane assist is a problem. Don’t go out of the lanes and indicate before changing lanes and you don’t know it’s on the vehicle.

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I didn't think I would like or even use cruise control but really do like it a lot.

To be fair I was pretty reticent about having an automatic but my opinion has changed completely
Fair comment although both of those have been around a long time.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Love cruise control but hate “lane assist”. If I cross a white line without signalling, it beeps. That’s OK but it also beeps for tar overbanding, differences in colour of tarmac etc after filling pot holes, so it is turned off.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Can’t see how lane assist is a problem. Don’t go out of the lanes and indicate before changing lanes and you don’t know it’s on the vehicle.
The issue is they get confused quite easily. Cracks and joints, changes in surface, or even old paint from roadworks can set then off. And sometimes you're deliberately crossing a line and it interferers.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Live up here’s with very narrow roads. On the day I got my Volvo driving home the car decided it was taking over the steering. Nearly killed us. First thing I turned off. Dangerous. 🥹

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I agree it’s not a problem but what’s the point? Can you honestly say you indicate every time you change lanes? I don’t if the motorway is quiet. Then you are fighting the wheel to cross the white line.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Fair comment although both of those have been around a long time.
Not in the types of vehicle I normally purchase ! Think 2009 Hyundai i10 scrappage deal bargain for 4,500 brand new and still going strong

Works vehicle has keyless start and that does my head in. And reversing lines on a screen. What's all that about ? Turn your head and see where you're going

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I'm fine with start-stop (it's been around for nearly 20 years without issues), adaptive cruise, blind spot warning. The only thing I'm not a fan of is lane assist.
Don’t you find the start stop ‘noise’ and that slight delay before being able to pull away annoying ?

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I didn't think I would like or even use cruise control but really do like it a lot.

To be fair I was pretty reticent about having an automatic but my opinion has changed completely
My 4x4 is automatic and all my vehicles over the last 35 years have been automatics, I wouldn’t drive a manual anymore and I use my cruise control 95% of the time even in 30 zones, always keeps me in the speed limits.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
My van has pretty much all the gizmos on and I must say I’m a fan of adaptive cruise, have had it on a few cars and it’s an excellent safety backpack should you loose concentration and on long runs it is handy for me as have some limited use of my right leg without it I would be stopping every few hours.
Lane assist not to keen on that as something and nothing.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
My BMW had auto lights and dip-switch, pivoting headlights, linked to steering and rain sensitive wipers.
I never touched the lights switch, dip beam or wipers in 5 years.

It was a bu&&er getting used to my next car, without all those features.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I agree it’s not a problem but what’s the point? Can you honestly say you indicate every time you change lanes? I don’t if the motorway is quiet. Then you are fighting the wheel to cross the white line.
99% of the time I remember to, but I observe that a huge proportion of drivers these days don’t under any circumstances. Spain has made it mandatory now to indicate all the time & I wish it were the same here.

I like all the extras on my Skoda and Ducato now, but was weary before getting them. The only one I don’t like is the adaptive cruise control, but that’s me being untrusting. In theory it’s a fantastic safety feature.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
With the exception of stop / start I love all the technology and the driver aids and make full use of them. Roll on fully autonomous vehicles, just so long as I can override the system when I want.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Our 2023 model MAN TGE has...

Auto headlights with auto dip -- Like it.
Stop start fitted but clever, brake to a stop gently and don't hold hard on the brakes it doesn't stop the engine, press hard and it does -- Like it.
Maybe the new 2025 model with an electric hand brake will have drive to stop and go again? -- even better.
Auto wipers with sensitivity control -- Like it.
Auto transmission, 8 speed with manual over-ride -- Like it.
Reversing camera -- Like it.
Front, side and rear proximity sensors -- too sensitive and noisy but better than scraping the side of the van.
City braking -- Never yet experienced it.
Automatic hazard flashers when emergency braking -- or so it says in the book but never had to test them.
ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) -- Like it in the right place and time but does need manipulating sometimes.
Hand brake lever that drops to the floor out of the way of the swivel seat -- Like it. It baffled the technician when I took it in for its first service, he couldn't work it out!

On the other hand our one car has no synchromesh, cable brakes, 25bhp to bowl it along, 6v electrics that almost brighten the lights, wipers that park where ever you switch them off, manual windows, no wing mirrors etc. etc.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our octavia has done 104k miles is 8 years old and is still on the original battery and we use stop start all the time. There's no noticeable delay pulling away it's dead reliable. It's also got automatic wipers lights main beam dipping etc and I like all of it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back