Who actually likes the driver aids on newer vehicles? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The difference is that a "good driver" is one who enjoys driving, thinks about what he/she is doing, and wants to improve. The alternative is a driver who takes no interest, regards driving as a chore, and rarely considers others using the road.
If you commute on the same road every day, it doesn't take long before the average person goes into robot mode because it's a repetitive chore. Then, a random and unusual event catches them out because they weren't paying attention as much. That's when driver aids are beneficial. And a lot of cars on the road are commuting zombies. Driver aids do reduce accident frequency and severity.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The difference is that a "good driver" is one who enjoys driving, thinks about what he/she is doing, and wants to improve. The alternative is a driver who takes no interest, regards driving as a chore, and rarely considers others using the road.
I bet if you asked those good drivers to take a test to determine their ability a lot would pale at the thought!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I've got a Dacia Duster 4WD with the stop start malarkey.
Not much use on the road.

But when I'm going over tricky stuff in wild terrain, I often stall it. But the engine fires itself up immediately. I love that :)
I use stop start all the time. It's a very minor benefit to me but a pretty major benefit to people in cities in traffic queues who don't fancy pollution

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
My thoughts entirely with my new VW T-Rock!!!
We have a VW T-Roc R-Line I can only say the I love almost all of the aids.
  • Lane assist is not too strong as to be dangerous and can be disabled.
  • Stop-start can be annoying but having learned that a quick twitch on the steering wheel will start the engine, electric power steering draws enough to prompt the engine to start.
  • Eco mode on the DSG auto box provides an electronic free wheel which certainly saves fuel if used intelligently.
  • Sport gear settings with a pull back on the lever.
  • Flappy paddles under the steering wheel for manual gear changes I never use.
  • Electric hand brake seems faultless as is the hill hold.
  • ACC is good if I'm not in a hurry as it slows too far behind another vehicle even on the nearest setting, it also holds back on long free running down hill roads which I find annoying. The disengage function is not as easy to use as the older VW cruse control which was on the end of the indicator stalk.
  • Auto headlights lights are great, always illuminated in what the human eyes would consider good enough visibility.
  • Would have liked auto dipping which our model does not have.
  • City braking - never experienced it yet.
  • Auto hazard flashers - never experienced that yet either.
  • Auto wipers are good although the sensitivity can be dubious sometimes.
  • Auto rear wiper when raining and engaging reverse, simple and useful.
  • Three mode digital dash, we seem to have settled on a version much like a conventional analogue look.
  • Love the fuel consumption readouts with trip average digits and instantaneous indication.
  • Multifunction steering wheel only needs learning where each function is then can be used almost without a glance.
  • Aircon with 'Auto' setting cools the car quickly when setting off on hot days and the split sided control suits both of us with differing requirements.
  • Apps to use with the infotainment, not got to grips with them yet.
  • Standard satnav is good but the VW programming function for destinations could be better.
  • Would have liked an SD card slot for personal media as on previous models, now have to use a USB(c) input.

Our MAN TGE (VW Crafter) camper has a different Stop-Start arrangement which is nice, if you come to a halt with gentle braking and just hold with the same gentle pedal pressure the engine doesn't stop. Press harder when stationary will stop the engine. This I like over the Stop-Start of the T-Roc.
The auto box on this is totally different to the T-Roc being a conventional 8 speed torque converter box but works well with a 3.5tonne plus vehicle. I like the low gear hold when descending steep hills. Auto headlights with auto dip are good and don't need changes for continental use.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Crikey, have I used the wrong emoji, it was meant to be a wink, apologies, not very down with the kids when it comes to the most appropriate one
T’was just in jest :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2022
Holmfirth, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 135
Hate the ridiculously implemented TPMS which causes my van to try to shake itself to pieces while increasing the risk of skidding by reducing the contact patch/area.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Hate the ridiculously implemented TPMS which causes my van to try to shake itself to pieces while increasing the risk of skidding by reducing the contact patch/area.
That's the manufacturer's choice of tyres. Not that tyre pressure gizmo.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Which version of TPMS do you have, direct (sensors in the wheel/tyre) or indirect using the ABS rotors on the inside of the wheel hubs?

If it's the latter I would suggest that you have a fault on the sensors or ABS system. The actual TPMS system should only be reporting tyre pressure to the driver and not influencing the wheel rotation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Which version of TPMS do you have, direct (sensors in the wheel/tyre) or indirect using the ABS rotors on the inside of the wheel hubs?

If it's the latter I would suggest that you have a fault on the sensors or ABS system. The actual TPMS system should only be reporting tyre pressure to the driver and not influencing the wheel rotation.
I think they mean it complains if you aren't running the tyres at the rock hard pressures that camping tyres use.

Oct 22, 2023
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F60
Exp
Newbies as of June 2024
We're loving the XZent sat-nav in our 1 month old MH. Look how fast We're driving right now 🙄

20240802_125445.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back