Which side should exhaust be (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I thought the exhaust should exit on the opposite side to the fuel filler if side exit or in the non pavement side if rear exit but studying lots of Moho exhausts (I live a sheltered life) the rules are all over the place.
I need to replace my off side RHD puffing exhaust but they are way dearer than the LHD UK pavement puffers so just wondering if I could save a few bob by fitting a LHD version šŸ˜‰

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Get one made in stainless.
My German van has the exhaust on the street side just between filler and hab door, going underneath the battery box but ending inside the side skirt.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Convention is that they exit either at the rear, or towards the centre of the road, ie avoiding the footway.

So LHD are obviously the reverse when using here in the UK.

The most important thing is that the exhaust gases are not able to enter the vehicle.

Thatā€™s why itā€™s not a good idea to carry a long load inside a car with the rear hatch open, the fumes get sucked inti the passenger compartment.

FWIWā€¦ One of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is a feeling of euphoria/ wellbeing. - just before you lose consciousness.l!

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Convention is that they exit either at the rear, or towards the centre of the road, ie avoiding the footway.

So LHD are obviously the reverse when using here in the UK.

The most important thing is that the exhaust gases are not able to enter the vehicle.

Thatā€™s why itā€™s not a good idea to carry a long load inside a car with the rear hatch open, the fumes get sucked inti the passenger compartment.

FWIWā€¦ One of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is a feeling of euphoria/ wellbeing. - just before you lose consciousness.l!
a bit like scotch then :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
But why do some British vans exit to footpath side?
Probably because it's not regulated, as gus-lopez 's post above.
The zorst on my U.K. RHD Compass passes under the gas locker and exits on the pavement side as are the diesel and LPG fillers.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I thought the exhaust should exit on the opposite side to the fuel filler if side exit or in the non pavement side if rear exit but studying lots of Moho exhausts (I live a sheltered life) the rules are all over the place.
I need to replace my off side RHD puffing exhaust but they are way dearer than the LHD UK pavement puffers so just wondering if I could save a few bob by fitting a LHD version šŸ˜‰
Never heard of that rule. Our RHD Hymer has the exhaust and fuel filler on the left hand side. The exhaust is below the filler, Doubt diesel would catch fire on a hot exhaust.

OP
OP
dunnah01
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Next query is whether it would be better exiting as existing going under gas locker and gas filler or modified to go out of the other side behind the diesel filler

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Next query is whether it would be better exiting as existing going under gas locker and gas filler or modified to go out of the other side behind the diesel filler
Solve the quandery and go for the middle like Carthago do.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
My rhd Rapido has exhaust on lhs next to the diesel filler. So unlikely to be compliant with any rules.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I would have thought exhausts are designed to be a certain length, diameter and configuration specific to the vehicles design, so the 'exit' point is determined by that design....... But maybe not?

Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Ours too is nearside exit. Two MOT'S in, not a mention. Mind you it does more mileage abroad ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
dunnah01
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
So the rule seems to be there are no rules. I'll dig a bit further to find the correct right side exit but they are hard to find.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
If I remember right....if it exits pavement side then there is a maximum height from the floor it can be
Cant remember exact height as it's been a while since I delved into c&u regs that far

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back