Which rivnut to attach solar panel to aluminium angle (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
I've taken delivery of my solar panel, my aluminium angle is on order and I plan to use rivets to attach the two together.

So should I use aluminium rivnuts and aluminium bolts to hold the two together to avoid galvanic corrosion? Are aluminium bolts strong enough? Or should I use steel bolts or rivnuts or both?

Oct 21, 2021
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Mutsubis fuso/canter
Exp
5 years
You would be better to use "plus nuts"
They have a larger internal grab area when compressed.

INPNS__38467.jpg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I used M6 but then I also added some self tapping roofing bolts aswell, still holding string, though I do check them every now and again...

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
Be aware that some solar panels have sides that are hollow, i.e. 2 layers of aluminium with a 2-3mm gap. You can easily crush and deform the sides.

Most panels come with mounting holes in the single skin base.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I used Tech Fast self drillers to attach the panels to our plastic mounts. The bigger problem is how you fix your aluminium brackets to the roof. I used Sikaflex and sealed Tech Fasts. No problems with any fixings after 4 years and 35k

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
I've taken delivery of my solar panel, my aluminium angle is on order and I plan to use rivets to attach the two together.

So should I use aluminium rivnuts and aluminium bolts to hold the two together to avoid galvanic corrosion? Are aluminium bolts strong enough? Or should I use steel bolts or rivnuts or both?
I used 8mm alloy rivets that were 18mm long with no issues from the double skinned panel frames. Heavy engineering , but why not!
The bolts to attach to the 50x50 alloy angle are stainless steel, again no problems during the 18 months that they have been on the roof. Final attachment was purely bonding.

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
You would be better to use "plus nuts"
They have a larger internal grab area when compressed.

View attachment 929500
Too late, I've ordered the rivnut tool now.
I used M6 but then I also added some self tapping roofing bolts aswell, still holding string, though I do check them every now and again...
I don't want to put any holes in my roof
I used M6 rivnutsView attachment 929510 and stainless button head cap screws.

I used 8mm alloy rivets that were 18mm long with no issues from the double skinned panel frames. Heavy engineering , but why not!
The bolts to attach to the 50x50 alloy angle are stainless steel, again no problems during the 18 months that they have been on the roof. Final attachment was purely bonding.

That was my gut feeling - use aluminium rivnuts and stainless steel bolts. I don't live near the sea so I was not expecting corrosion to be an issue.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I don't want to put any holes in my roof
I didn't ....I added the self tappers through the fixing frame NOT into the roof !!? I used the plastic corner and side mounts not aluminium angle ...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I used M4 rivnuts I wanted M5 or M6 but out of stock of ones with the right panel thickness.
The side rails on my panels were double skinned the rivnuts pulled though and lock against the outer skin.
I used silicone grease as a barrier on the rivnuts and the washers when fitting the brackets, as I used stainless rivnuts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Last time on a PVC I used stainless steel self tappers and copious quantities of Sika.
But back then I hadn't heard of rivnuts.

I will now use rivnuts to connect the solar panel to the aluminium angle. Probably still use self tappers to attach the angle to the van roof though.
Last one held up for 10 years and no sign of any corrosion when they were removed.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There is a mastic product called Duralac which is used to prevent galvanic corrosion in stainless bolts in aluminium rivnuts on boat spars.

Excellent product.

Tony

If you cover the stainless steel there is little if any opportunity for galvanic corrosion as I understand it.
Basically without water/moisture it cannot happen?

That is why I covered my install with Sika. Not sure it needs a product specifically designed for it?

Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
It’s to keep moisture out of the spaces between the ally and stainless, such as in the threads.
Avoids a cell which is what galvanic corrosion is all about.

Tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2019
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway EB
Exp
Since 2019
Duralac is the correct barrier product to use as Jabstatt says, however in reality your motorhome is likely to fall to pieces long before the stainless screws/ally rivnuts give way.

Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
It’s not about them failing.

It’s to make it easy/possible to dismantle.

Rivnuts are a great easy to use solution but if the bolt is corroded, the whole thing turns and, by definition, it’s usually inaccessible in a blind hole.

Ever owned a Landrover??

Tony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back