lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Starting to prepare for our first long trip to the eu and would like to take a Mini so we can buy a local data sim, I’ve had a look at noticed some that are cat4 and cat 6 but have no idea what’s better.

I’m lucky enough to have unlimited data for roaming, although there is no limit there is a fare use policy so would just like another sim as back up.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Starting to prepare for our first long trip to the eu and would like to take a Mini so we can buy a local data sim, I’ve had a look at noticed some that are cat4 and cat 6 but have no idea what’s better.

I’m lucky enough to have unlimited data for roaming, although there is no limit there is a fare use policy so would just like another sim as back up.
The higher the CAT the better, Gerry.

A number of Funsters got this one recently, refurbished and they seem to be back in stock but only 1 "B" grade left! 10 "A" grades.

It's a CAT20 4g / 5g and works very well in 4g without the aerials attached. Aerials are for 5g only.

EDIT: if you stick MU5001 into the search bar you'll find a few threads discussing this model.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now

A number of Funsters got this one recently, refurbished and they seem to be back in stock but only 1 "B" grade left! 10 "A" grades.

It's a CAT20 4g / 5g and works very well in 4g without the aerials attached. Aerials are for 5g only.

EDIT: if you stick MU5001 into the search bar you'll find a few threads discussing this model.
Can you run this off a 12v charge lead?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Do you have a decent antenna on your van? We have one these (there are variants depending on requirements) which works well…

We use it with this router…

There is a solwise discount code available in this (I think)…

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can you run this off a 12v charge lead?
They’re have a usb charged battery, so best not left in charge . I have usb in the cupboard above my mifi and turn it on when mifi is below 50%.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Avoid cat4 in general as cannot access ANY downlink only frequency anywhere, any country.
(it requires 2 radios, which is a cat6 and higher feature).

The MU5001 above is the cheapest 5g device, and probably best value for money at present given it's cat20 4g, and also does 5g.
Competing (better) 5g routers are nearer 350-400 quid so I'd say buy the MU5001 today and upgrade in 4-5 years.

Don't however be tempted by cat4 devices, you'll only at most get 150Mbit at BEST, but in reality often you'll be on congested frequncies which are now being rolled out. 2 North norfolk sites which last year were under 2Mbit so couldn't watch TV are STILL like that on a cat4 device today, however on the cat12 we use (also a ZTE) in the van were nearer 80-150Mbit this year. That is a upgrade that happened in one year. The upgrade plans for ALL of the networks is to introduce downlink only frequencies (B32 is one example used by Voda/Three) and these requires 2 radios, as you have to be using one to send packets and one to receive.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
As Manic says it's a standard USB C charging socket and comes with an A to C lead.
You could also use a cigarette lighter socket with an adapter cable or plug socket.
Battery lasts for a good 8-10 hours on a full charge browsing/email/etc.
Thanks, Id want something could plug in full time.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You can leave it in charging all the time if you wire a pemenet feed. Our ZTE is on a perm live feed from Leisure batt.
However it does shorten the battery life. Don't think it powers up with the battery out of it but never tried it so could be wrong.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
However it does shorten the battery life. Don't think it powers up with the battery out of it but never tried it so could be wrong.
Oh yeah, it does, but it does have soem electonics (my ZTE model does so presume they added to the newer 5001) to stop it constantly charging I believe. I spotted mine the other day not charging at at all above 60% as it was "hot" and it wasn't until morning when the device was under less load and the ambient temperature lower, did it have 100%. (It actually said hot and not charging in the user interface when I logged in).

We use ours out of van ocasionally and also with the perm feed off (we have a switch) when we are driving as we have a stupid UK van so even perm live feeds go off when engine is on annoyingly. However the ZTE lasts as long as we ever likely to drive.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Think the MU5001 will only start charging if less than 80% and take it to 100% and keep it there so must be on a contiual trickle charge.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp

Glad I asked now as I thought a Cat 6 was decent, maybe I was just looking at the price 😂😂
Do you have a decent antenna on your van? We have one these (there are variants depending on requirements) which works well…

We use it with this router…

There is a solwise discount code available in this (I think)…

We have nothing just now.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Glad I asked now as I thought a Cat 6 was decent, maybe I was just looking at the price 😂😂

If it's in your price range as now joining the rank of coffin dodgers I would get the MU 5001 and nothing else.
It's 4g performance is good and 5g isn't widely rolled out yet.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2

Worth noting the 5001 device only works on external antennas on 5g frequencies apparently, so it's not as urgent as buying the device at moment.

As long as you don't have a PVC you probably fine without that (PVC's act as a bit of a faraday cage so you lose signal compared with coachbuilt). If you have a PVC you may want an older cat12 or cat 18 ZTE device (4g only) that support roof antennas for the 4g side of the device. At moment my ZTE is a cat12 MF986D, however IF I was buying this year it would be a MU5001 and I'd live with the internal antenna on 4g. (the external anetnna ports on the MU5001 DO support 5g frequencies).

I wouldn't spend £400 on a router personally though on a all singing/dancing best 5g device you can get -> thats my view, I'll wait until they are discounted like the MU5001 is now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back