Which is better: Dometic Freshlight 2200 or Freshjet FJX4 2200?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago 143 LE Comp
Exp
Does anyone have experience of the Dometic Freshlight 2200 and the Dometic Freshjet FJX4 2200? Is one quieter or more efficient than the other?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
I have had the freshjet 2200 on x2 vans ,brilliant and really cool .Highly reccomend and a 3 year warranty.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago 143 LE Comp
Exp
How is it for noise - I was thinking of having it installed over the beds but wasn't sure due to noise?

Upvote 0

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
I’ve got the 2200 and when the air con kicks in my van shakes and on full pelt it’s loud.

But at night on low you can hear it they are not quiet non are.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I’ve got the 2200 and when the air con kicks in my van shakes and on full pelt it’s loud.

But at night on low you can hear it they are not quiet non are.
I think the quietest roof model is the FJ3000 with the dual cylinder inverter drive compressor, you don't get the kick when the compressor start due to the variable speed, I am not sure that they do this feature on any other model though and it is a big unit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
How is it for noise - I was thinking of having it installed over the beds but wasn't sure due to noise?
Mines over bed and no problem ,the kick is if its not a temp but since i had a valve replaced no issues perfect even in Morrocco on low amp electric.

Upvote 0

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630
Exp
since 2004
Got the freshlight over the rear beds, we like that you still get daylight through the (small) skylight. Works well on cooling and heating, takes just over 4amps on mains so ok in France/Spain and we run it for an hour or so before bed offgrid through our 2000w inverter and lithium.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
We don't have our 2200 over the bed its in the main hab area. There is some noise but thats generally at startup when it's hot and it's running at full pelt. Can be a bit of judder when the compressor kicks in at night but not enough to outweigh the benefits. On the new van we have ordered we will have a Truma Aventa Comfort 2400 fitted over the bed area so it will be interesting to see what difference the noise level is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago 143 LE Comp
Exp
Got the freshlight over the rear beds, we like that you still get daylight through the (small) skylight. Works well on cooling and heating, takes just over 4amps on mains so ok in France/Spain and we run it for an hour or so before bed offgrid through our 2000w inverter and lithium.
So you can run the aircon just on batteries?

Upvote 0

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630
Exp
since 2004
So you can run the aircon just on batteries?
Yes, within sensible limits. We have a relatively modest setup, 200amp lithium, 120w solar, 60amp b2b so need to be mindful of recharging the lithium.
We tend to use it when offgrid for an hour or so to cool the bedroom area and again in the morning when we get up.
Aircon seems to be a marmite topic but for us , we wouldn’t be without it.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Mclouis fusion 360
Exp
I'm a newbie
We don't have our 2200 over the bed its in the main hab area. There is some noise but thats generally at startup when it's hot and it's running at full pelt. Can be a bit of judder when the compressor kicks in at night but not enough to outweigh the benefits. On the new van we have ordered we will have a Truma Aventa Comfort 2400 fitted over the bed area so it will be interesting to see what difference the noise level is.
Hi, do you have the new van now with the truma aventurine comfort 2400. Is it better than the 2200. I am looking to purchase air con at the moment and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks Steve.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Hi, do you have the new van now with the truma aventurine comfort 2400. Is it better than the 2200. I am looking to purchase air con at the moment and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks Steve.
It's a long story! Adria, without telling us fitted a Dometic 2200, not the Truma 2400. This was to do with the fact they increased the size of the front skylight to a huge panoramic roof, which in turn pushed the siting of the solar panel back, meaning they could not fit a Truma. I had a bit of a row with them as thay have actually fitted a discontinued Dometic 2200. So sorry I can't compare them.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Does anyone have experience of the Dometic Freshlight 2200 and the Dometic Freshjet FJX4 2200? Is one quieter or more efficient than the other?

Are you sold on Dometic, or have you considered the Truma alternatives?

Have had the Freshjet 2200 on last MoHo, and as someone else mentioned, the van judders when the compressor kicks in and out. Have now gone back to Truma Aventa on this one, and no regrets.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Mclouis fusion 360
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's a long story! Adria, without telling us fitted a Dometic 2200, not the Truma 2400. This was to do with the fact they increased the size of the front skylight to a huge panoramic roof, which in turn pushed the siting of the solar panel back, meaning they could not fit a Truma. I had a bit of a row with them as thay have actually fitted a discontinued Dometic 2200. So sorry I can't compare them.
Sorry to hear, nothing is ever easy :) are you happy with the dometic, would you recommend it. I'm driving to Italy end of July for 6 weeks, first ever trip in first motorhome. I think it's going to be 🔥 so definitely will need air con. Thanks for your reply 👍. Steve.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Sorry to hear, nothing is ever easy :) are you happy with the dometic, would you recommend it. I'm driving to Italy end of July for 6 weeks, first ever trip in first motorhome. I think it's going to be 🔥 so definitely will need air con. Thanks for your reply 👍. Steve
If you go for Dometic then just make sure you get the newer FJX models not the older FJ which we had on a previous van and have on this one. Apparently the FJXs are quieter. I don't know about the Truma in terms of noise/judder. I see you have a McLouis Fusion 360 which only seems to have a small skylight above the main sleeping area. The other possibility is for them to cut a hole somewhere near the middle of the roof. We've had this done on previous motorhomes but it's not always possible. Theres a bloke on another forum has one of the new FJX series, I'll ask him about his. Trouble he's not had a van or aircon before so will have nothing to compare it with. Having said all this they do say that panel vans (which we have, Adria Twin) do exacerbate the noise levels, but who knows! Like you we are off to Italy, but in mid August, then on to Greece, so I'll put up with the noise! In terms of getting the van cool thay are very good, and fur us essential.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
I fitted an FJX Freshjet 2200 myself in place of the rear roof vent over the bed in our Etrusco 540 van. I have been very pleased with it and find the heating option very useful for the chilly evenings we have been having. I have only used the cooling function a couple of times when in Spain and that worked fine though there is a muted thump when it starts up. I chose this because it is lower and a bit nicer looking than the equivalent Truma, and the black version we have goes well with our grey van.

Although I am happy with the unit, I can't say the same about the company. I made an appointment at Dometic in Tewkesbury to have one fitted and when I got there, having stayed in a hotel overnight to get there at the time they specified, they didn't have one in stock! They then said they wouldn't have fitted it anyway as they considered it to be too close to the back of the van and might not be properly supported if it encroached on the cross panel over the doors. I was not impressed!

In the end I got a very good deal on the unit from one of the companies that supply and install them, and just to be on the safe side fitted an aluminium plate under the unit to reinforce the roof where it joins the cross panel. The most difficult part of the job was getting the armoured mains cable behind the panels to the rear of the van from the RCD under the dinette seat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Mclouis fusion 360
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you go for Dometic then just make sure you get the newer FJX models not the older FJ which we had on a previous van and have on this one. Apparently the FJXs are quieter. I don't know about the Truma in terms of noise/judder. I see you have a McLouis Fusion 360 which only seems to have a small skylight above the main sleeping area. The other possibility is for them to cut a hole somewhere near the middle of the roof. We've had this done on previous motorhomes but it's not always possible. Theres a bloke on another forum has one of the new FJX series, I'll ask him about his. Trouble he's not had a van or aircon before so will have nothing to compare it with. Having said all this they do say that panel vans (which we have, Adria Twin) do exacerbate the noise levels, but who knows! Like you we are off to Italy, but in mid August, then on to Greece, so I'll put up with the noise! In terms of getting the van cool thay are very good, and fur us essential.
Thanks for that. I was hoping it would fit the opening for the skylight I didn't realise it was bigger, something I am going to look into. I would like to have it above the sleeping area. I agree, would put up with a bit of noise to sleep comfortably. I have a large supply of ear plugs:) enjoy your time away, I hope it goes well. Steve.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Mclouis fusion 360
Exp
I'm a newbie
I fitted an FJX Freshjet 2200 myself in place of the rear roof vent over the bed in our Etrusco 540 van. I have been very pleased with it and find the heating option very useful for the chilly evenings we have been having. I have only used the cooling function a couple of times when in Spain and that worked fine though there is a muted thump when it starts up. I chose this because it is lower and a bit nicer looking than the equivalent Truma, and the black version we have goes well with our grey van.

Although I am happy with the unit, I can't say the same about the company. I made an appointment at Dometic in Tewkesbury to have one fitted and when I got there, having stayed in a hotel overnight to get there at the time they specified, they didn't have one in stock! They then said they wouldn't have fitted it anyway as they considered it to be too close to the back of the van and might not be properly supported if it encroached on the cross panel over the doors. I was not impressed!

In the end I got a very good deal on the unit from one of the companies that supply and install them, and just to be on the safe side fitted an aluminium plate under the unit to reinforce the roof where it joins the cross panel. The most difficult part of the job was getting the armoured mains cable behind the panels to the rear of the van from the RCD under the dinette seat.
Wow.!!!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Thanks for that. I was hoping it would fit the opening for the skylight I didn't realise it was bigger, something I am going to look into. I would like to have it above the sleeping area. I agree, would put up with a bit of noise to sleep comfortably. I have a large supply of ear plugs:) enjoy your time away, I hope it goes well. Steve.
Sorry I may have not worded correctly. If its a standard square skylight above the sleeping are it will fit! I've also found that a few glasses of Italian wine help if the noise is too much!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996

It would be interesting to compare the difference between the newer FJX Freshjet 2200 and the FJ Freshjet 2200 we have ended up with in terms of noise/judder. Like you we have a PVC with the aircon above the sleeping area. Ours is a white aircon unit on a grey van, not pleasing on the eye!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
It would be interesting to compare the difference between the newer FJX Freshjet 2200 and the FJ Freshjet 2200 we have ended up with in terms of noise/judder. Like you we have a PVC with the aircon above the sleeping area. Ours is a white aircon unit on a grey van, not pleasing on the eye!
Ours has the soft start feature, so only a muted thump when it starts, but not the full variable power startup feature that the larger/more expensive models have. I am not sure if the earlier model has any sort of soft start.

The company I bought the unit from were selling two black units complete with the inside air distribution unit which was the electronic version with remote control and Bluetooth interface. This cost £1830, maybe reduced because the black ones are less popular, but I am pleased that I went for that despite some slight concerns about the case getting hotter than a white one would in sunny locations!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 164
I have not long fitted the Dometic FJX4 2200. Main reason is it's the only AC that comes in Black to go with my Grey Swift PVC. It's got a night mode which definitely quietens it down from the standard mode. It cools well, and overall I'm pleased with it. The only thing I have.. at night the display doesn't go out. My wife made a piece of black out material velcro over it and the remote still works with it covered.
Can't compare it to anything else as it's our first time for AC in the habitation area.
Off to Italy next week so we will give it a try...
BTW.. I purchased it from Dometic direct (Tewkesbury) you get an extra 1 years warranty on top of the 2 if they fit it. And they price matched the dealership.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I have not long fitted the Dometic FJX4 2200. Main reason is it's the only AC that comes in Black to go with my Grey Swift PVC. It's got a night mode which definitely quietens it down from the standard mode. It cools well, and overall I'm pleased with it. The only thing I have.. at night the display doesn't go out. My wife made a piece of black out material velcro over it and the remote still works with it covered.
Can't compare it to anything else as it's our first time for AC in the habitation area.
Off to Italy next week so we will give it a try...
BTW.. I purchased it from Dometic direct (Tewkesbury) you get an extra 1 years warranty on top of the 2 if they fit it. And they price matched the dealership.
How has the aircon been? As mentioned we have the FJ 2200 (now discontinued) and like the previous one we had it is a bit noisey and there is quite a thump when the compressor kicks in. Ours is mounted above the rear sleeping area (Adria 640 PVC) It keeps the sleeping area nice and cool, but struggles to cool the front seating area mainly because Adria have become obsessed with huge roof windows so half the roof area is now window! Clearly parking in shade would help though. I'm still toying with replacing ours with the one you have.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
How has the aircon been? As mentioned we have the FJ 2200 (now discontinued) and like the previous one we had it is a bit noisey and there is quite a thump when the compressor kicks in. Ours is mounted above the rear sleeping area (Adria 640 PVC) It keeps the sleeping area nice and cool, but struggles to cool the front seating area mainly because Adria have become obsessed with huge roof windows so half the roof area is now window! Clearly parking in shade would help though. I'm still toying with replacing ours with the one you have.

We have the later FJX 2200, as mentioned earlier, also fitted over the rear bed area. We have been pleased with this not only for cooling but also for the 1kW heating which is sometimes useful on chilly evenings.

However, we have also noticed that the cooling effect doesn't fully reach the front of the van where we sit in the evening. I don't think this is necessarily due to inadequate cooling capacity, but maybe more due to limited air circulation, even on the max fan speed, especially as the rear vents in the aircon roof unit are very close to the back doors.

I am therefore thinking of mounting a couple of small mains powered fans on the cross panel over the top of the rear doors to see if that would help better re-distribute the cool air from the aircon unit.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
We have the later FJX 2200, as mentioned earlier, also fitted over the rear bed area. We have been pleased with this not only for cooling but also for the 1kW heating which is sometimes useful on chilly evenings.

However, we have also noticed that the cooling effect doesn't fully reach the front of the van where we sit in the evening. I don't think this is necessarily due to inadequate cooling capacity, but maybe more due to limited air circulation, even on the max fan speed, especially as the rear vents in the aircon roof unit are very close to the back doors.

I am therefore thinking of mounting a couple of small mains powered fans on the cross panel over the top of the rear doors to see if that would help better re-distribute the cool air from the aircon unit.
On our last PVC we had the aircon above the sitting/table area as there was a standards size skylight that was removed and the unit dropped in. In that position we got cool air in all areas, including the rear sleeping area. Alas, more current roof designs prevent this happening so the bedroom seems to be the only place an aircon unit can go on PVCs. I'm off to a local company tomorrow to assess the van for air suspension and to discuss any benefits of taking out our FJ 2200 and putting a FJX 2200. It's just a pity I can't actually here one running to make a comparison, regarding noise.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
On our last PVC we had the aircon above the sitting/table area as there was a standards size skylight that was removed and the unit dropped in. In that position we got cool air in all areas, including the rear sleeping area. Alas, more current roof designs prevent this happening so the bedroom seems to be the only place an aircon unit can go on PVCs. I'm off to a local company tomorrow to assess the van for air suspension and to discuss any benefits of taking out our FJ 2200 and putting a FJX 2200. It's just a pity I can't actually here one running to make a comparison, regarding noise.
You are welcome to have a listen to mine if you are located anywhere near us. We are close to Loughborough in the East Midlands.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
You are welcome to have a listen to mine if you are located anywhere near us. We are close to Loughborough in the East Midlands.
Very kind of you Fred. Sadly we live down on the south coast so it's not really feasible, but thanks anyway!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Very kind of you Fred. Sadly we live down on the south coast so it's not really feasible, but thanks anyway!
I could let you know next time we are heading for the ports in case that might work. The least I could do for a fellow Pink Floyd fan, at least that is what I assume from your signature line!

One of my favourite Floyd lyrics is:

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you. No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

Very appropriate now I'm about to hit 70 and wondering - how did that happen?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I could let you know next time we are heading for the ports in case that might work. The least I could do for a fellow Pink Floyd fan, at least that is what I assume from your signature line!

One of my favourite Floyd lyrics is:

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you. No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

Very appropriate now I'm about to hit 70 and wondering - how did that happen?
Indeed I am a (64 year old) Floydian. I think some folk think my avatar is me, but it's Syd Barratt. I'm actually a bigger Peter Gabriel fan, but Floyd always had the ability to suck you in! Shine on!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back