Which Hymer…. Old B675 vs newer B614 (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Hello fello funsters:)
I’ve spotted a couple of Hymers I like the look of - I was hoping to get your valued experience & opinions on;
Both have the layout I’m after (2 beds, large fridge, garage, 4 seatbelts)
The older 675 is on a Merc twin wheeler 312d chassis, although it has the Auto box it does have some nice extras on it (E&P levelling system, cab & roof aircon, refillable gas) - seems to come with lots of history.
The newer 614 is on a Fiat chassis (2.3 manual) and comes with solar and refillable gas, assuming given its age it will have aircon in the cab but doesn’t have any in the rear.
Has anyone ran any of these models or got experience of them and can comment/advise please?
Will the quality of the newer one be up there with the older one? Anything in particular I should be looking out for on both?
Thanks muchly

IMG_0963.png

IMG_0962.png

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Thanks Northernraider , do you know if that year will come with the decent/reliable auto box?
I seem to remember EuroTrotters mentioning something about the autos on these but believe being an 05 model this will have the older box?
312D Auto would have 5G-Tronic True auto if the later model.

I ca t see that in you photo ? Can you send links ?

316 Would be a CDI engine, 2.7 5 cylinder. That would be either, again 5G-Tronic or if 6 Speed, small brake pedal, SprintShift Robotised manual.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hello fello funsters:)
I’ve spotted a couple of Hymers I like the look of - I was hoping to get your valued experience & opinions on;
Both have the layout I’m after (2 beds, large fridge, garage, 4 seatbelts)
The older 675 is on a Merc twin wheeler 312d chassis, although it has the Auto box it does have some nice extras on it (E&P levelling system, cab & roof aircon, refillable gas) - seems to come with lots of history.
The newer 614 is on a Fiat chassis (2.3 manual) and comes with solar and refillable gas, assuming given its age it will have aircon in the cab but doesn’t have any in the rear.
Has anyone ran any of these models or got experience of them and can comment/advise please?
Will the quality of the newer one be up there with the older one? Anything in particular I should be looking out for on both?
Thanks muchly

View attachment 952047

View attachment 952048
1st photo I’ve checked on HymerMarket

It’s a robotised manual (ShiftMatic)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I'd be surprised if the B675 was on the 312. If it has twin wheels as you say it will be the 412 or 416 I think. The 120 bhp would be rather underpowered for a 4 ton motorhome. I avoided the sprint shift and went for the manual because of concerns about reliability - this was based on EuroTrotters awful experiences. You may be lucky... The Hymer A classes with the almond headlights had problems with them shattering. There is a fix I believe - covering with an acrylic sheet and putting rubber washers on the retaining screws. DavidG58 knows about that I think. They are v expensive to replace .

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The lights are definitely stupidly expensive although ours has washers and Bixenon with self levelling which adds a lot £1600 plus fitting

The Mercedes chassis has a lot of body roll, ours does anyway at 5.5ton and 8.2m, fitted rear air makes no difference to the roll but great for lifting rear for ferries , definitely needs E&P fitted on ours soon after buying

We have the twin rear axle but think ours is the 518 chassis, with 3.0 V6 good power but poor mpg (19/21) full 5 speed auto very good

Had ours 11 years and love it but only think ours is worth about £35K 59 reg 65K miles , but not for sale anyway

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
I'd be surprised if the B675 was on the 312. If it has twin wheels as you say it will be the 412 or 416 I think. The 120 bhp would be rather underpowered for a 4 ton motorhome. I avoided the sprint shift and went for the manual because of concerns about reliability - this was based on EuroTrotters awful experiences. You may be lucky... The Hymer A classes with the almond headlights had problems with them shattering. There is a fix I believe - covering with an acrylic sheet and putting rubber washers on the retaining screws. DavidG58 knows about that I think. They are v expensive to replace .
That’s exactly what I thought re the 312 - could just be the check site I used has picked up the wrong designation.
I didn’t know that re the lights - thanks for the heads up👍🏼
Are these what’s known as almond headlights…

IMG_0966.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
The lights are definitely stupidly expensive although ours has washers and Bixenon with self levelling which adds a lot £1600 plus fitting

The Mercedes chassis has a lot of body roll, ours does anyway at 5.5ton and 8.2m, fitted rear air makes no difference to the roll but great for lifting rear for ferries , definitely needs E&P fitted on ours soon after buying

We have the twin rear axle but think ours is the 518 chassis, with 3.0 V6 good power but poor mpg (19/21) full 5 speed auto very good

Had ours 11 years and love it but only think ours is worth about £35K 59 reg 65K miles , but not for sale anyway
Sounds like you’ve got a great combo of engine/gear box.
I know what you mean re body roll, we’ve had that on pretty much all previous Merc chassis, apart from a very early 312d from 89 (our first ever camper🚌❤️. That thing drove so well, to the point I preferred driving it to the car we had at the time. I’ve found an old pic of it lurking in the background…)
I’d happily put up with the roll for the rear wheel drive on these.
Are yours what they refer to as almond headlights or the round ones on the one I’m looking at?

IMG_5325.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
We have the almond ‘tear drop’ very appropriate name 🤔🙄

View attachment 952194

We have the almond ‘tear drop’ very appropriate name 🤔🙄

View attachment 952194
This caught my eye, same colour as yours but only a 2 berth for sleeping which is unfortunately too small for us. I know you said yours is not for sale, if it does ever become available for sale - please let me know….praying you spot something else now🙏🏼🙏🏼😂

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
This caught my eye, same colour as yours but only a 2 berth for sleeping which is unfortunately too small for us. I know you said yours is not for sale, if it does ever become available for sale - please let me know….praying you spot something else now🙏🏼🙏🏼😂

That's a nice looking 3L Merc.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Interesting but sadly not interested as I don’t want LHD

There are a few but very few where the drop down bed was swapped for cupboards, good feature as drop down does get in the way (headroom in cab area)

Also never seen another with the drawers under the TV in lounge, we have that and gives good extra space in lieu of a single seat

We have E&P and full rear air, maybe my guess at price was a little low with only 65K miles 🤔

We have upgraded our tec tower due to fridge failure but now have no oven, most of the S class cane with a macerator and black tank maybe this one has been changed to cassette

If we didn’t already have one very similar and it wasn’t LHD I would love it 👍

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back