Which gps?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Looking for a new gps as my Tom Tom Sat nav keeps giving up the ghost at the most inconvenient times( the dreaded white screen) and before I throw it out of the window does anyone have recommendations?
Not interested in Google maps or whatever on my phone as it( iPhone 8)keeps going off as well) šŸ˜

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I run CoPilot caravan on a ten year old Samsung tablet, it's slow loading up but once it's ready it works flawlessly, it also runs apple music via Bluetooth to my stereo at the same time.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
Looking for a new gps as my Tom Tom Sat nav keeps giving up the ghost at the most inconvenient times( the dreaded white screen) and before I throw it out of the window does anyone have recommendations?
Not interested in Google maps or whatever on my phone as it( iPhone 8)keeps going off as well) šŸ˜
Garmin camper, I have 4 year old 780. never wrong, set your own vehicle dimensions, lifetime updates free... Speed Camera database, poi's etc...various camper dBASE sites can be download so mostly I find a chosen S4S site is actually on the Garmin so easy to select that for nav, safe knowing it won't low bridge you.....

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
But some people do not like using phone apps while driving. What is the UK law? Certainly not expensive Apples which constantly become obsolete šŸ˜
I use Tom Tom Go on the phone but connected to the head unit in the van using cable and Bluetooth, so basically the phone switches off the screen while driving and it's all on the van screen and voice is through the speakers. Works perfectly for me.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
I use Tom Tom Go on the phone but connected to the head unit in the van using cable and Bluetooth, so basically the phone switches off the screen while driving and it's all on the van screen and voice is through the speakers. Works perfectly for me.
I have used this also but amazing how the phone switches off at the wrong time, middle of a roundabout, due to overheating. Maps app on Bluetooth and phone on charge, can get it hot. I now use my phone sat nav as a backup only to my Garmin device... But all to their own if it works for you .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
I have used this also but amazing how the phone switches off at the wrong time, middle of a roundabout, due to overheating. Maps app on Bluetooth and phone on charge, can get it hot. I now use my phone sat nav as a backup only to my Garmin device... But all to their own if it works for you .
I have not (yet) had this problem, no overheating that I'm aware of. I use a Samsung phone, maybe that is key?

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi jumar were you able to intigrate the camera systems of your Hymer with the new head unit? If so what head unit did you use as Iā€™m interested in replacing our Zenec unit which keeps dropping out for no reasonšŸ™„šŸ˜ŠšŸ‘
Hi...no I haven't....I have a a separate screen for camera....which I run continuously...I like to know who's tailgating me.....
I have a carpuride head unit..

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
jumar were you able to intigrate the camera systems of your Hymer with the new head unit? If so what head unit did you use as Iā€™m interested in replacing our Zenec unit which keeps dropping out for no reasonšŸ™„šŸ˜ŠšŸ‘
I integrated my cameras into my head unit. I donā€™t like apple CarPlay so I run nav on iPad in mount and use radio as sound system, rear view mirror, and reversing camera.

IMG_1359.jpeg

IMG_1358.jpeg

IMG_1357.jpeg

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Iā€™m not sure Jock but Iā€™ve contacted them several times with wrong data and in this trip alone itā€™s directed me BRIEFLY on toll roads that us supposed to be a toll free road. Itā€™s crap unless you are staying in U.K.
I've been using Navteq/HERE Truck maps for years now, and never experienced any problems, either in the EU or the UK.

Good luck sorting yours out. šŸ‘

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e line
Exp
Tom Tom all day for me, use it at work driving 16 feet high trailers, our works system uses co-pilot, I find it next to useless, never picks up road closures at night and uses some really weird routing.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Tom Tom all day for me, use it at work driving 16 feet high trailers, our works system uses co-pilot, I find it next to useless, never picks up road closures at night and uses some really weird routing.
A few years back Co-Pilot failed to pick up a weekend closure of the M3. I complained, they blamed a sub contractor (one of their choice). However the next weekend closure was picked up but instead of rerouting me it just reported that my 2 hour journey would take 36 hours, I was expected to wait in a queue until Monday morning. Worse than useless. Big waste of money.

Edit. They still have not made it CarPlay compatible.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Turn the screen brightness right down on the phone.
On my last van I left the phone in the dash top glove box where it got cooled by the air con, that is where the wired connection to the CarPlay was. Never had any problems with overheating or GPS signal.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Any handheld device is likely to be illegal. No one is suggesting using a phone whilst driving. A properly mounted device in a safe position with hands free operation is best and a head unit with CarPlay/Auto achieves that as do most modern phones.
Then you would fall foul of the ;

The 1986 Construction and Use Regulations said this:

"109.ā€”(1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than informationā€”**

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
A few years back Co-Pilot failed to pick up a weekend closure of the M3. I complained, they blamed a sub contractor (one of their choice). However the next weekend closure was picked up but instead of rerouting me it just reported that my 2 hour journey would take 36 hours, I was expected to wait in a queue until Monday morning. Worse than useless. Big waste of money.

Edit. They still have not made it CarPlay compatible.
It's interesting to hear others experiences with copilot, yesterday I moved from Dorset to Walton on Thames, it successfully routed me around a road closure on a town road that I would normally have taken (Rylands road) and has always got me where I want to go without sending me off down narrow tracks and dirt roads etc. As long as I made sure I was using the correct profile. I've been using gps since it was first available as a usb gps antenna on a laptop with the Route 66 app, i've used Tom Tom, Garmin and Becker navigation systems and found copilot to be the most reliable so far. No software is perfect and much relies on the software getting accurate real time data which comes from external sources, unless you're running two systems side by side It's difficult to make an accurate comparison in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Then you would fall foul of the ;

The 1986 Construction and Use Regulations said this:

"109.ā€”(1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than informationā€”**
Why would this contravene the Regulations? CarPlay does not mirror a phone screen and does not allow any tv or cinematic reproduction. It is a carefully thought out system which is now pretty much standard in all new vehicles.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I used to have issues with cooking my phone in the summer heat. Android Auto resolves the issue as the phone's screen is off (which is where a lot of the heat comes from) and as you no longer have to be able to see the phone whilst driving, it's less likely to be baking on the dash. Mine normally sits in the cup holder below the gearstick.

If you are going to use a phone for satnav in the summer, try to mount it with the air vent pointing at it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back