Which engine is best and less hassle for 3500kg moho? (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 12, 2022
Blackburn, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato
Exp
Still looking moho but most private seller asking more than dealer price. And I just confused with new engines. 2.2-2.3-3.0 fiats, merc 2.1 and 2.2-2.4 transit, my old one had 2.8jtd... I don't want to suffer with pulling and don't want endless problem and not good mechanics around me. Any feedback will help. Thank you

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Having driven older Transits for work over meany years and owned a Transit PVC and the current 55 plate motorhome the latest Transit isn’t for me. The idea of a cheap to run and reliable engine was a plus point for Ford until modern technology and emissions regulations seems to killed that idea.
The 2.4 engine is no flyer and holds back on hills but keeping the speed down to 60/65 it gives us 400 miles to a tank of fuel. Enjoying the journey and seeing the scenery is more important these days.
Having said that last service included glow plugs that needed changing. The parts were cheap but the labour was painful on the pocket.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Still looking moho but most private seller asking more than dealer price. And I just confused with new engines. 2.2-2.3-3.0 fiats, merc 2.1 and 2.2-2.4 transit, my old one had 2.8jtd... I don't want to suffer with pulling and don't want endless problem and not good mechanics around me. Any feedback will help. Thank you
Stick with an old engine that is numerous and can be fixed without a computer.

The money you save will allow you to get taxis into, and return from, any ULEZ's. 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Motorhomes on average do lower mileage than cars and I think all the modern engines are perfectly adequate. How often do modern engines cause problems, and if they do how different are the failure rates of different engines? I think it's much of a muchness.

One quirky thing I would be sceptical of is the auto-manual gearbox type. I had an Iveco Agile auto which I wouldn't want again.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
It wasn't long ago that pretty much the whole of the Greater Manchester, including the motorways to get past it, were going to be in a CAZ.
Sorry, cannot see ANY major motorways being in a CAZ without a major alternative in my lifetime, the Trucking lobby would not allow it and IF they went on strike the country would close down! 🤔

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
i thought 2.2 belt 2.3 is chain drive
Nope 2.3 is a belt, Had ours changed last year, once we had done 8K we had the engine remapped now it's a fabulous vehicle to drive sits at around 28mpg on the motorway at legal speed, manual gearbox and touching wood no problems we average about 4k a year, change the oil and filter every year and fuel filter every two years.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Sorry, cannot see ANY major motorways being in a CAZ without a major alternative in my lifetime, the Trucking lobby would not allow it and IF they went on strike the country would close down! 🤔
They were very close to going ahead. The project was only cancelled because it was late.

Why would trucking care? The lobby is owned by the big firms that all run relatively new fleets. If anything, it would reduce their competition and they could do a bit of green washing at the same time.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Ours is a Fiat 2.3L 160BHP with a manual box + cruise control. Euro 6 with Ad Blu.

Much better than the 120BHP standard.

Prefer the manual gearbox as it give control on downhill but the converse is having to change down on hills.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
They were very close to going ahead. The project was only cancelled because it was late.

Why would trucking care? The lobby is owned by the big firms that all run relatively new fleets. If anything, it would reduce their competition and they could do a bit of green washing at the same time.

I wonder why it was late? 😄

Coaches going into London now, ALL have to be ULEZ compliant, the main people who have benefitted are the coach companies OUTSIDE London who can buy nearly knew Coaches at knock down price that will never go into London.

You believe what you want, I don't think I will change my opinion but I might have done had the Authorities included the M25, they could have made a fortune!

Upvote 0

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I’d personally avoid a Euro5 diesel now as they are becoming persona non grata in more and more places - get a Euro6 motor - Unfortunately that rules out the Fiat 3L and you gave to get the Fiat 2.3L.
We have an early Euro6 150hp 2.3L Euro 6 and it does not have and blue, but has a timing belt rather than a chain.
That said, it pulls very well

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
Bit of a sweeping comment Lenny, Our MK8 Tranny hasn't missed a beat in nearly 5 years. Secret is to get Ford to service them every year rather than every two and Ford have now changed the belt life specs so they're changed earlier. They also changed the oil specs June 2021 for vans built after that. It's now 5W - 30 rather than the 0W - 30 I have in mine.

The 140 Fiat is naff, Ok I suppose in a 3500kg but you'd need the 9 speed on it if you planned on towing, as you say the 180 9 speed is the way to go but not everyone can afford the near on extra £7 grand to have the two.

I have a feeling though that the OP is looking at something a little older. That for me would mean looking for an MJII 150, I'd not go near a Puma powered moho.

I'm looking forward to trying both the new 8 speeds.
Bit of a contradiction when you say the 140 is naff but okay in 3500 kg van - which is the size that the OP asked about. What makes the 140 naff?

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
They also changed the oil specs June 2021 for vans built after that. It's now 5W - 30 rather than the 0W - 30 I have in mine.
The issue was that very specific oil had to be used to prevent the belt from turning to mush and blocking the oil system. You can't use any old 5W-30... but not many garages take notice. They'll use whatever is in the bulk tank.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The 140 Fiat is naff,
The new Fiat 2.2 140 is far from naff and very well suited to the size of vehicle it is intended for. I really enjoy driving mine, what experience do you have on which to base this adverse comment?

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
i thought 2.2 belt 2.3 is chain drive
Other way around
My Google navigation said the route it had planned through France last month included an emission zone. I just selected OK so the warning went away 👍 I've got the sticker in the windscreen (forgot what it's called now, yellow No. 2 🤔)
That is all I do.
My 2,2tdci transit is on 305,000 kms. good as gold🤞

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back