Which computer for our Grandson? (2 Viewers)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My Grandson got rid of his Mac purely because a lot of the uni stuff is done on Windows. Some are converted to Apple, most are not, lots of free theory books, papers, reports, exam papers etc all on windows for free and either not available for Apple or the

Specifically what formats?

All standard generic file formats are cross platform now. They can all be opened and edited by Windows, Apple, Linux and pretty much all other platforms without the need for anything special.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have used Dell for our home and work computers for many years and found them highly reliable. If you can afford one with a SSD (solid state drive) plus a normal hard drive it will load quickly and Windows 10 is the operating system to have the knowage of if applying for computer based jobs.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have used Dell for our home and work computers for many years and found them highly reliable. If you can afford one with a SSD (solid state drive) plus a normal hard drive it will load quickly and Windows 10 is the operating system to have the knowage of if applying for computer based jobs.
Actually he's doing a paramedic course if they are as up to date as the hospital I work in its windows 7 !!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Might be worth contact with the Uni as a number of them regularly sell off "ex-rental" machines they've rented \ loaned out to students.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Is there anyone or dept or tutor at the uni he can ask? They might have a special purchase scheme.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have been very happy with my Dell XPS13's. Small enough to fit in a small bag but with a very good screen.
Not good for skyping or other video calls though as the camera is at the bottom of the screen and the person on the other end, ends up looking up your nose :(

Other than that, very very happy with it.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Is there anyone or dept or tutor at the uni he can ask? They might have a special purchase scheme.

He has his induction day later this month so it might be best if he waits till then.
Don't forget students can get MS Office 365 for free: https://products.office.com/en-gb/student/office-in-education

As this is cloud-based, it wouldn't matter what OS is used. There may be some limitations using it off line - I have not experimented with it but it would allow a Chromebook or similar to be purchased for less than £200. Not as flexible or as powerful as a laptop but cheaper and potentially more versatile than a laptop (https://www.lifewire.com/chromebooks-vs-laptops-4163797)

Many thanks for the information on Office, we thought he would have to buy that separately.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Why?

There are plenty of other and better options.

The "it has to be Windows and Office" thing is the default position of people who haven't got a clue what they're talking about.
which would cover most it departments who will always pick the mainstream default to get an easy life

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
serious advice here, don't spend too much on a flashy thief magnet. many students get targeted for their laptops. plus always back up the work to the cloud. if the laptop breaks or is stolen he wont lose his vital coursework

i live in a university town and we hear about laptop and phone theft regularly, sometimes involving violence. if all his work is on the laptop, his first thought may be to fight back and protect it. its not worth it and if the data is secure, why get hurt

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
serious advice here, don't spend too much on a flashy thief magnet. many students get targeted for their laptops. plus always back up the work to the cloud. if the laptop breaks or is stolen he wont lose his vital coursework

i live in a university town and we hear about laptop and phone theft regularly, sometimes involving violence. if all his work is on the laptop, his first thought may be to fight back and protect it. its not worth it and if the data is secure, why get hurt

That’s great advice, he had his Yamaha scooter damaged the other night when youths cut through 2 bike chains and broke his steering lock. Only the intervention of a neighbour stopped them stealing it, so he is more risk aware than he was, now!

Ginny

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Brilliant. Proper job degree.

Wish him every success from us.

Thanks Brian, he has worked incredibly hard to pass all his ‘A’ levels and is working for a local Company who supply First Aiders to events, concerts, sporting event days etc, he travels all over.

Ginny

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
which would cover most it departments who will always pick the mainstream default to get an easy life

How can something deliberately designed to be unreliable, crash every 10 minutes and need constant intrusive updates be said to be an easy life?

IT departments go with it to justify their own existence

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks Brian, he has worked incredibly hard to pass all his ‘A’ levels and is working for a local Company who supply First Aiders to events, concerts, sporting event days etc, he travels all over.

Ginny

Clearly "got what it takes".

I'm a bit disgusted with granddaughter ( not said so ) because she has just deferred a place to have a gap year. In my book if you really want it you go for it.

Not commented on a purchase but you can take a chance and pick up a laptop cheap, for instance........

( I had an upgrade to W10 and ended up buying W7 to rid of it for the odd windows software I need to keep going )

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Student-...537950&hash=item4b4d6b0947:g:7mMAAOSwLVFbh~Z0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Clearly "got what it takes".

I'm a bit disgusted with granddaughter ( not said so ) because she has just deferred a place to have a gap year. In my book if you really want it you go for it.

Not commented on a purchase but you can take a chance and pick up a laptop cheap, for instance........

( I had an upgrade to W10 and ended up buying W7 to rid of it for the odd windows software I need to keep going )

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Student-...537950&hash=item4b4d6b0947:g:7mMAAOSwLVFbh~Z0

I would be supporting your granddaughter if she has a plan for the year; she may be in two minds about doing a degree / the course and ending up with a massive debt in an area of study that she is no longer passionate about (perhaps she wants to confirm what she wants to study) or she may be wanting to get some real life experience before uni or she wants to earn some money to reduce the burden on others. I had a gap year and believe that I was better prepared for uni - I was more focused, more experienced in the subject that I was studying because I had done some voluntary work in that area and I was better able to look after myself than those that came straight from school.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would be supporting your granddaughter if she has a plan for the year; she may be in two minds about doing a degree / the course and ending up with a massive debt in an area of study that she is no longer passionate about (perhaps she wants to confirm what she wants to study) or she may be wanting to get some real life experience before uni or she wants to earn some money to reduce the burden on others. I had a gap year and believe that I was better prepared for uni - I was more focused, more experienced in the subject that I was studying because I had done some voluntary work in that area and I was better able to look after myself than those that came straight from school.

I can see the benefit of a gap year or even 2.

I was just seemingly railroaded from A levels to degree to job and I don’t particularly enjoy the job.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Specifically what formats?

All standard generic file formats are cross platform now. They can all be opened and edited by Windows, Apple, Linux and pretty much all other platforms without the need for anything special.

Will get him to specify when he gets back from his holiday job.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Office 365 is free for students.
But potentially left with "nothing" at the end of course whereas software remains yours?:unsure:
If it were me I'd be going with LibreOffice anyway.(y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I had a gap year and believe that I was better prepared for uni l.

I can see the benefit of a gap year or even 2..

OK, as I said, I have not said anything, just in case. As yet she has no plan for the gap year.I have not detected any passion for the course, equine sports science, and not wanting to get on with it worries me. So maybe a gap year might turn up something she really can get excited about.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
My Grandson says it really depends on what course he’s doing. Macs for Media, Art, Photography. My grandson recommends Microsoft Surface Pro. My Grandson is studying Chemistry and couldn’t access mini tab, sigma plot and a couple of other mathematical and chemical drawing packages. Hope this helps.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
OK, as I said, I have not said anything, just in case. As yet she has no plan for the gap year.I have not detected any passion for the course, equine sports science, and not wanting to get on with it worries me. So maybe a gap year might turn up something she really can get excited about.

Under those circumstances, I'd be pleased that she is taking a gap year and not be worried. Sounds like a sensible decision.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
But potentially left with "nothing" at the end of course whereas software remains yours?:unsure:
If it were me I'd be going with LibreOffice anyway.(y)

I'd use Office 365 and Google Suite so that I could collaborate with my colleagues on a course. LibreOffice is good but most other students would be used to using more mainstream software such as MS & GS - it would be harder to convince them to move to LO.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'd use Office 365 and Google Suite so that I could collaborate with my colleagues on a course. LibreOffice is good but most other students would be used to using more mainstream software such as MS & GS - it would be harder to convince them to move to LO.
ML and MO are nigh on 100% compatible as far as I'm aware. I certainly use .xlsx files on Windows (LO and MO) and Linux (LO).

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
ML and MO are nigh on 100% compatible as far as I'm aware. I certainly use .xlsx files on Windows (LO and MO) and Linux (LO).

It is the cloud collaboration that makes MS365 and GS so useful - you can have more than one person working on the same document / presentation etc. simultaneously - I'm not sure whether LO etc. have that facility when using cloud-based storage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back