Where would you site your inverter? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Rewired the sockets so they can be switched between incoming mains or inverter.
Is that a major undertaking, Lenny? At the moment, our inverter is just stand-alone, in the garage next to the LiFePO4 and I plug into it direct, or use a fused 13A extension socket. I often wonder how easily it could be linked to the 230V sockets in the van, or whether it’s worth the hassle.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Is that a major undertaking, Lenny? At the moment, our inverter is just stand-alone, in the garage next to the LiFePO4 and I plug into it direct, or use a fused 13A extension socket. I often wonder how easily it could be linked to the 230V sockets in the van, or whether it’s worth the hassle.
We are having an upgrade at the moment and have gone for wiring it to the existing sockets. It sounded a faff to have to plug in direct to it?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Fairly easy if you are confident with electrical wiring.
Need to check your sockets are on a separate circuit if not it's best to rewire so that the sockets are separate as you don't want the fridge, charger & heating running from the inverter, should be able to do it at the consumer unit.
If your inverter has neutral bonded to earth it's best to fit an RCBO on the inverter output then fit a generator changeover switch so you can switch the sockets between incoming mains and the inverter.

Like this.
1725706430335.png

Jul 15, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Feb 2023
Fairly easy if you are confident with electrical wiring.
Need to check your sockets are on a separate circuit if not it's best to rewire so that the sockets are separate as you don't want the fridge, charger & heating running from the inverter, should be able to do it at the consumer unit.
If your inverter has neutral bonded to earth it's best to fit an RCBO on the inverter output then fit a generator changeover switch so you can switch the sockets between incoming mains and the inverter.

Like this.
View attachment 945795
Hi Lenny what about the victron multiplus, differnet bit of kit, but I take it that has the changeover switch is built in?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Lenny what about the victron multiplus, differnet bit of kit, but I take it that has the changeover switch is built in?
Yep a great bit of kit I've just fitted a Multiplus 3000 to my van, awsome 120 amp charger great for charging the Lithiums.
Not only a built in auto changeover but also a combiner, if you are on a 5 amp outlet and want to use a 10 amp device it will sync frequency & voltage and the inverter combines with the mains to supply 10 amps.

Jul 15, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Feb 2023
In the middle of lithium upgrade myself so in the process of buying a multi2000 with a few other victron bits and bobs and being disappointed with how things are wired and butchered in but to be expected with Bailey..... poor old mabel:rolleyes:. She's getting up to spec how we want her slowly but surely:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back