Where would you site your inverter? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Swift 674 Escape 2020 on Fiat base
No rear garage, just a long, narrow access hatch to under rear seats

Buying the Victron Energy Phoenix Inverter 12/1200 which is a bit larger than I imagined (14.25” x 9.13” x 4.6”)

Looking around the ‘van it looks like the only possibles are: under the front passenger seat or inside the seat storage space immediately behind the drivers seat (where the pump is sited).

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks 👍

OP
OP
Purrfecttune
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Hi

Yes, following my extensive research on the internet, I understand that it needs to be as close to the batteries as possible and the reasons why. Our hab battery is under the drivers seat, the vehicle battery under the passenger footwell floor, so both my above suggestions appear to be good.

Upgrading our 80Ah lead acid to a 280Ah Lithium which will unlikely leave enough room under the drivers seat unfortunately, which I would prefer ☹️

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi

Yes, following my extensive research on the internet, I understand that it needs to be as close to the batteries as possible and the reasons why. Our hab battery is under the drivers seat, the vehicle battery under the passenger footwell floor, so both my above suggestions appear to be good.

Upgrading our 80Ah lead acid to a 280Ah Lithium which will unlikely leave enough room under the drivers seat unfortunately, which I would prefer ☹️
I think as others have said as close as possible but if there's a similar distance I'd go for the one not near the water pump just in case of a leak.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Check how it can be mounted.. some can only / should be placed vertical..

OP
OP
Purrfecttune
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
You don't have to mount it close to the battery you just need to size the cable accordingly, my inverter has a 4 m cable run to the batteries but it did cost me £100 in cable.
Thanks Lenny, that’s helpful. That would add the possibility of the rear, offside seat locker next the consumer unit.

OP
OP
Purrfecttune
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Check how it can be mounted.. some can only / should be placed vertical..
This one is recommended to be placed vertical but also says that it can be placed flat with minor loss of performance.

OP
OP
Purrfecttune
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
The distance is more like 2 - 2.5m but it still sounds like really heavy cable.

Think I’ll stick to my first two suggestions!

Thanks both 👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The distance is more like 2 - 2.5m but it still sounds like really heavy cable.

Think I’ll stick to my first two suggestions!

Thanks both 👍
Only 35 mm2 providing you are not running the inverter at max for long periods.

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
I moved the leisure battery to under the passenger seat leaving more room under the drivers seat. I have 2 leisure batteries under passenger seat. I made a mounting plate to put them on. I then made a mounting plate from 2mm galvanised steel to mount the electrical items on under the drivers seat. I have 2 levels to mount stuff on . The existing cab floor plate and the plate i made which is a few inches above the floor. It's a Ducato.

OP
OP
Purrfecttune
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
I moved the leisure battery to under the passenger seat leaving more room under the drivers seat. I have 2 leisure batteries under passenger seat. I made a mounting plate to put them on. I then made a mounting plate from 2mm galvanised steel to mount the electrical items on under the drivers seat. I have 2 levels to mount stuff on . The existing cab floor plate and the plate i made which is a few inches above the floor. It's a Ducato.
I don’t see the advantage for me to move the position of the battery from under the drivers seat, but your design of the space under the other seat sounds good 👍

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Swift 674 Escape 2020 on Fiat base
No rear garage, just a long, narrow access hatch to under rear seats

Buying the Victron Energy Phoenix Inverter 12/1200 which is a bit larger than I imagined (14.25” x 9.13” x 4.6”)

Looking around the ‘van it looks like the only possibles are: under the front passenger seat or inside the seat storage space immediately behind the drivers seat (where the pump is sited).

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks 👍
Fogstar make an underseat 230 AH battery specifically for the Fiat. We fitted one almost a year ago and it’s been great ever since. Never dropping below 150 AH. We are moderate users, kettle, toaster, mini air fryer and spend most of our travels without EHU. We have around 300 watts of solar shared between 2 panels.
You should definitely consider this and it fits perfectly.
Phil

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
To slightly hijack this thread (sorry) 🙄

For me it's either inverter (Renogy 2kw) or 200ah lithium under what would be the LHD driver's seat.
The installer wants to put the inverter under the seat whereas I want the battery there, if it fits ...
The only reason I can give is that the inverter's AC sockets may be more accessible if it's not under the seat.
Given the choice, what've folk done ?

Jul 15, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Feb 2023
Hi

What battery make are you upgrading to just out of interest?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
To slightly hijack this thread (sorry) 🙄

For me it's either inverter (Renogy 2kw) or 200ah lithium under what would be the LHD driver's seat.
The installer wants to put the inverter under the seat whereas I want the battery there, if it fits ...
The only reason I can give is that the inverter's AC sockets may be more accessible if it's not under the seat.
Given the choice, what've folk done ?
Rewired the sockets so they can be switched between incoming mains or inverter.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Hi

Just put the fogstar 280 under our fiat seat.
Inverter sits next to well by drivers seat in an A class with ho offside drivers door.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Behind drivers seat, with batteries under the seat will look like this.
PS, you'll need to fabricate your own vented backing plate to mount it on.

20240906_164240.jpg

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Really interesting chat with some good advice. When we get back from Spain/Portugal we are putting in Litium so we don't need the electric so much. Just contemplating an inverter too. I don't feel I know enough about it to do it myself so will pay someone but the info is still useful. I will make sure I discuss where it will go (bearing in mind heat) and the size of cable being used.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Our inverter (secondhand from LennyHB) is sited under passenger seat and up against the second battery that lives under there, perfect.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Our inverter (secondhand from LennyHB) is sited under passenger seat and up against the second battery that lives under there, perfect.
That seems the perfect spot to me. Does it get too hot and is that okay for the battery?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back