Where to stay before Le shuttle. (12 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Where should we stay before Le shuttle (chunnel).
We have a 10.46am shuttle on the 1st October, probably enjoying a weekend at Saint-valery-sur-somme on the coast. So somewhere between there and calais.
I see camping car have one in calais or is this a no go area.
We don't have a bike rack and won't be leaving the motorhome when we arrive.
Advise please as the last time we used calais to Britain was ages ago.
Thank you.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
CCP in calais is fine, we stayed at Wissant in March but TBH le cotoy or Valery sur somme are only an hour or so away so why not just travel from there? We've use Le Crotoy as a first and last stop a few times.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Why not stay in St V-s-S. it’s only a 2 hour drive and for a 10:45 train it’s doable.
Just over an hour if you pay tolls and avoid all the traffic lights, roundabouts and endless 30km limits.😀

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Montreuil sur Mer is a lovely spot. Free aire and a nice town. But, my friend was there last week and said the car park which allowed extra parking is now barriered off so I assume you can't get to the borne.

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
We stayed at the Calais CCP on Monday night after reading a lot of good reviews. First time here and very pleasantly surprised with Calais. A peaceful night with about 35 other vans, of which a dozen or so had UK plates. There was another 10 or more vans parked for free on the huge car park across the way and a couple more just off the promenade near the port. No hassle, no migrants, leave the van and no worries. There is a campsite next to the CCP as well. Calais has a lovely promenade to walk and looks like a good cycling route. We were a bit late for our intended last lunch so ended up with cracking frites and toasties from the friterie near the site. Next time we will explore the town. Free bus (line 5) from right outside to Calais and along the coast if you don’t want to walk. We will certainly use it again.
IMG_7905.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Currently at Le Crotoy, heading for vet at Rue later then probably Wissant. Only 20 mins to tunnel.
On our way out 2 weeks ago Wissant hadn't yet been completed - will report back if it has.
Is it going to be a ccp or one run by the mayor

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I’d stay where you are. Better than the other options which are not that much closer. We often use Saint-valery-sur-somme as our last night. You can get on the steam train, or cycle round to Le Croytoy

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
Another vote for the Calais CCP aire. We have stayed there 3 or 4 times now, the last time was soon after Easter when work was being carried out putting in hookup points ready for changing over to CCP. Never any problems with migrants. A few minutes walk to the promenade and the best frites ever at the stall nearest to the Dragon (worth seeing) - portions are enormous. Haven’t been into Calais centre for many years but may do so next time.

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
CCP aire at Calais is our 'go to' stop when using Le Shuttle coming home , been using it for a while now, before it was CCP.

Get there about mid-day, weather permitting a lovely walk to the seafront and it's facilities.
20240718_153117.jpg

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Is it going to be a ccp or one run by the mayor
Okay, dog sorted and we're at Wissant. The signs are up, NOT CCP, the pay machine, barrier (up) and electric points are in but the water supply is not and the waste disposal is still the original. No indication of when it'll be live but as of now it's still free.
When the rain stops I'll go and have another mooch. Then recommence my tussle with Le Shuttle whose payment system has apparently gone down!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back