Where to go at Crimbo (69 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
So we returned from a disastrous trip to France, the new van to us performed perfectly which is a change for us, unfortunately I was the broken one, 3 rd day in and I became really ill, to the point I couldn’t drive, headaches like I’ve never experienced in my life, anyway we eventually made it home after nearly two weeks in my pit, I have some sort of viral infection so loaded up on antibiotics/steroids and pain killers.
Anyhow back to the point, as my better half is working again she can only manage 3 weeks off at Crimbo and we’re undecided how far to go, it’s been Spain and Portugal the past couple of years but we’ve had a couple of months to play with, the ferry to Santander is fully booked and we have two dogs so not much chance of a cancellation,
We’ve done Scotland a few times already and sometimes been lucky with the weather and other times not, so do we head to southern England? Or crack on and drive through France and chase the sun? I don’t want to feel I’m spending the whole time driving rather than chilling.
Suggestions and ideas welcome
Cheers

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
You could get a ferry to France and accept the weather may be good/bad
(by good I mean dry !) . You could enjoy the scenery on the north coast as you say you don’t want to drive all the time.

Otherwise the Cotswolds at Christmas time is generally a nice area to explore. Lots of villages and towns will have stuff going on over the festive period.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
I think I’d probably head for a White Christmas
Near enough to drive to
Potter about
Chilling
Cosy in the van
Slow drive back

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Don’t know where you are based so might be a bit far, the Lake District can be nice at Xmas as can D&G and the Scottish Borders. Some lovely little villages and good walking to get you out and about.

Reactions: JnJ

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
We stayed at Keswick for Xmas and moved to Moffat for new year this was about 9 years ago

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Or crack on and drive through France and chase the sun? I don’t want to feel I’m spending the whole time driving rather than chilling.
Cheers
Sorry to hear about your ailments and hope you're feeling a lot better.
My worry would be that most of European motorhomers will also be heading south for Christmas and the campsites or aires just might be a little full at that time of year.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
We stayed at Sandringham and Canterbury over last Christmas. We liked both, but preferred Sandringham over NYE.

This year we are goign over to Cotswolds, and staying on NYE at a friends house and staying on drive Griswold fashion. We're adding some hardstandings before and after, we'll book exact places in November once we have a better idea on dates for some other family stuff.

We also need to work out when we swap the current Calor for some Gaslow, as being offgrid in Winter at friends place will mean we need a lot of gas to keep the van warm, if it's cold we can get though our current setup in 3 days. So we'll need around 11kg for the 4 ish days we expect minimum when we're without power (the farm we're staying at they have no power by the hardstanding where we can park the van alongside our friends van).

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Don’t know where you are based so might be a bit far, the Lake District can be nice at Xmas as can D&G and the Scottish Borders. Some lovely little villages and good walking to get you out and about.
The issue with the Lakes as we found last Christmas is that if you book it late, you won't get on a hardstanding pitch (in our experience) booking after November (ie, when we know when we free).

If you can plan a bit better than us, we'd 100% agree on the Lakes being a great choice.

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
We’re based in the western lakes, so we always need to factor a days travelling if heading abroad, that’s either to reach the Chunnel or ferry

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We went to the Christmas market at Brugge stayed on a site ten mins free bus ride from the markets, £14 per night with 6 amp ehu. We went some years ago and thought it was great not so much this time crowded stalls full of junk or alcohol overpriced not impppressed never again.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
We're off to Barbados.
Please note; NOT! Scarbados or even Skegbados but the real one over on't other side of the water.
We went there the Christmas before last... just be aware to take an extra suitcase for the rum on the return journey (I think memory was we were allowed 4 litres per person last time!).

The rum in Barbados is amazing (though we preferred one made in St Kitts), as is the snorkelling, we had a great sailing over a wreck in one of the bays followed by copius amoounts is rum.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My worry would be that most of European motorhomers will also be heading south for Christmas and the campsites or aires just might be a little full at that time of year.
Those that are ,are usually there well before christmas. Think the French have similar holiday to the Spanish so only christmas day off ,boxing day is normal working day.Nothing like the Uk when everyone takes a fortnight off.

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
Likely to SORN mine. It is parked on the drive so I can tinker and effect improvements at my leisure over Christmas.

Have already booked a week in Normandy late April 2025 and MOT is due that month so I am dithering on how long to keep it on SORN. It could potentially be November to end of March but I doubt t will be that long. I just need crystal ball regarding UK weather forecasts!!

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Wot Jungfrau again🤔🤔🤔bet it is lovely with the snow there…..
No, we stay at the next one down camping Breithorn!!
Yes Val wanted to see it covered in snow, it adds a different perspective to it other than sun in summertime👍

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Yes Val wanted to see it covered in snow, it adds a different perspective to it other than sun in summertime👍
That's why we were thinking of it. Was thinking col de Saisies we saw TDF there last year.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Good bit of sn
Good bit of snow around at the mo. See pic of the day.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
So we returned from a disastrous trip to France, the new van to us performed perfectly which is a change for us, unfortunately I was the broken one, 3 rd day in and I became really ill, to the point I couldn’t drive, headaches like I’ve never experienced in my life, anyway we eventually made it home after nearly two weeks in my pit, I have some sort of viral infection so loaded up on antibiotics/steroids and pain killers.
Anyhow back to the point, as my better half is working again she can only manage 3 weeks off at Crimbo and we’re undecided how far to go, it’s been Spain and Portugal the past couple of years but we’ve had a couple of months to play with, the ferry to Santander is fully booked and we have two dogs so not much chance of a cancellation,
We’ve done Scotland a few times already and sometimes been lucky with the weather and other times not, so do we head to southern England? Or crack on and drive through France and chase the sun? I don’t want to feel I’m spending the whole time driving rather than chilling.
Cheers
Morocco
Mitch

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread